Sign in to follow this  
lady lawyer

OLSAS Won't Divulge Grade Calculation

Hi everyone,

I had emailed OLSAS on Friday asking if they could tell me what my GPA calculation was, and I also asked if they just calculate only the CGPA or the best/last two years GPA as well. So anyways, this is the response I got:

OLSAS uses its own formula to calculate the GPAs. The law schools

request that we not divulge the GPA to applicants.

Thank you.

Has anyone else tried to get their grade conversion from them? I thought this was a bit odd. I may end up calling, or at least waiting for Osgoode's OASIS login, where I can see what GPA they received and then if there's discrepencies, contact OLSAS then. So stupid!

That is absolutely absurd. I am not even in law school yet, but something about this is fishy. Just like the government has to give you non-classified information that they have on you if you request it, I would figure that OLSAS should not be able to take your data, manipulate it, and not even tell you what the end product is.

Why should law schools care if OLSAS divulges grade calculations? The chart is right on their website so it is not a secret. The reason we ask OLSAS is to make sure they didn't screw up the calculation.

I plan on contacting each of the schools I applied to ask them how they calculated by GPA and from what I have heard, they will readily tell you. They have made mistakes in the past too, so it can't hurt to check.

I am adding this to my "why I hate OLSAS list." Can you imagine if these guys actually ran a university?

"Hi, OLSAS, can I take a look at my transcript."

"No, your professor have asked us not to divulge your grade."

Just be glad that these geniuses don't run hospitals. I can just picture them mixing up sodium chloride with potassium chloride and then not letting you see your chart.

I know!! I was really baffled! Like you said, we can convert it ourselves, we just want to make sure there weren't any mistakes!

Anyways, I've decided to wait for my OASIS login, see what the GPA is and go from there. After I have that login, I may do what you suggest Captain, and call each school directly.

I wonder if calling OLSAS will make a difference. I don't see what the issue is on disclosing grades!!!!!!

Wanna hate them some more...

Called to make sure all transcripts were there?...Yes

When will the app be forwarded to Oz? (the only school applied for in ON, and yes, $250 is a lot for one school)...Sometime in Late December, or maybe January!

Ummm, why so long?...You're in a big batch.

Thinks to self...Would that be the batch where all info and app was in BEFORE the deadline, with a "better than average" GPA and LSAT and with only a single school to get the damn 2 transcripts and LORs off to??#!#[email protected]!...

Given that last year Oz was giving offers out by Dec 15, that seems pretty pathetic. I want my money back.

:|

Wait. They calculate the best OR the last two years' GPA, or both?

I meant best 3.

Well I'm not sure. they obviously calculate our CGPA. I was curious though if schools like Queens and Western calculated the 2 year GPA on their own or if OLSAS did it for them. That was my enquiry and my question was never answered.

Is Olsas subjected to the "freedom of information" act that I keep seeing referenced in the paper? that would be awesome.

Is Olsas subjected to the "freedom of information" act that I keep seeing referenced in the paper? that would be awesome.

That's an interesting question Sarrahh. My guess would be no - the Act does not apply to OLSAS. But, maybe it should because OLSAS is funded partially by government money. FOI only applies to government. OLSAS is a division of OUAC, which is run by the Ontario University Council. Technically, the Council is private, but its membership is made up of Ontario universities, which are public institutions funded by both government and private monies. Also, the fee to be a member of the Council is paid by the universities.

If it were me, I would check the privacy policies for OUAC/OlSAS on the website. I'm sure there is something in there to convince OLSAS that it needs to share with you what's been put into your file.

The federal Access to Information act has the following definition: “government institution means any department or ministry of state of the Government of Canada listed in Schedule I or any body or office listed in Schedule I;" Unfortunately, OLSAS ain't there.

OLSAS could possibly fall under the Ontario FIPPA act, though, for the reasons Law Clerk said.

The OLSAS website it not very helpful in terms of its privacy policy:

"Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information

We will keep your personal information as accurate and up-to-date as reasonably possible. We retain your electronically stored personal information in identifiable form until all processing and reporting has been completed. During an application cycle, you are able to access your personal information on-line and, in most cases, make corrections on-line where required. In some circumstances (e.g., after deadlines have passed for medical school, law school or rehabilitation sciences applications) changes to your personal information must be done in writing to the appropriate OUAC application division."

For those planning a class-action lawsuit against OLSAS, wait until AFTER you have already been accepted to law school, eh? :-)

We will keep your personal information as accurate...

And just to be REALLY certain we're accurate, we won't tell you what your info is, that way we can't be wrong...right?? :D

And just to be REALLY certain we're accurate, we won't tell you what your info is, that way we can't be wrong...right?? :D

Who are we to question the OLSAS philosopher-kings?

Who are we to question the OLSAS philosopher-kings?

It really almost makes me want to get my LLM, so I can become a law prof, and then later dean of law and haul my school out of OLSAS.

The schools get such a good deal out of OLSAS, in the financial sense, from what I gather.

They offload many of their admissions costs to another institution that students have to pay for and then get all the applications in nice little packages, ready for review.

The students lose out as not only do they pay the individual application fees for each school, they have to pay the whopping OLSAS fee.

It really almost makes me want to get my LLM, so I can become a law prof, and then later dean of law and haul my school out of OLSAS.

Everyone on this board just needs to remember to have a little solidarity with the applicants once they get into law school. Get on your law student association, get on a faculty committee, and get your Ontario school to pull away from OLSAS.

Come on, if it costs $250 per school (for just 1 school via OLSAS), I don't see how the universities couldn't do it more economically. They would just have to dedicate 1-2 personnel to processing the files in a way similar to OLSAS and then get them ready for the AdComms.

Grad schools do it (though they have smaller applicant pools) and law faculties out of Ontario do it.

:evil:

i'm glad i am no longer the only one on here venting fury about this incompetent organization

here's my hypothesis as to why they law schools prefer OLSAS doesn't divulge GPA calcuations- i think it matters what school you attended for undergrad

i posted this somewhere else, but u of t asked me where i am attending undergrad when i called to ask how GPA is calculated.......not proof of anything, but now that i know they don't divulge this stuff, it seems to make sense

i'm glad i am no longer the only one on here venting fury about this incompetent organization

here's my hypothesis as to why they law schools prefer OLSAS doesn't divulge GPA calcuations- i think it matters what school you attended for undergrad

i posted this somewhere else, but u of t asked me where i am attending undergrad when i called to ask how GPA is calculated.......not proof of anything, but now that i know they don't divulge this stuff, it seems to make sense

Then why bother publishing a chart that they don't use?

Is anyone else going to email or call OLSAS to see if they'll give any information out about GPA conversion? Or are we satisfied with the email I got? Do you think individual schools will tell you what your grades were converted to?

Yes, I think individual schools will tell you how they converted your grades. Unlike OLSAS, they have a reputation to maintain. If they tick you off, you are less likely to go to their institution.

all the calculation are done according the OLSAS chart for every single school in ontario. OLSAS staff themselves do not do the calculations, they send your marks to individual schools who use the olsas chart to calculate either your CPGA, best 2, best 3. There is really no huge secret in regards to mark calculations. Once they gets your marks, they look up your underg school on the chart and calculate accordingly