Sign in to follow this  
ti_kettle

Weird LSAT Writing Questions...

On the test date,

-are you allowed to have a snack/water during the break?

-would you be allowed to bring small, sponge-like earplugs to wear?

And, I read on my admisson ticket that sometimes the test can take up to 7 hours! How is this even possible?

P.s. Any advice on how to deal with nerves test day? I'm already going nuts thinking about the September 30th writing day. I'm averaging 166 right now, but I'm worried I'm going to mess things up because I'll be so nervous test day.

i) Officially, no. However, bring them regardless - the worst that can happen is you'll be told to keep them in your bag. At my test centre (UofT, October 2005) we were allowed water and hard (ie suckable, non chewing) candy. Our proctor asked if anybody would have objected, and nobody did. (EDIT: I just realised that you asked about during the break. Yes, you can definitely do whatever you want during the break. My answer was for during the test. Mea Culpa)

ii) Iffy, but possible. Bring them and ask your proctor.

iii) They have instructions beforehand, and collection afterwards. It takes time to fingerprint everybody, eh?

iv) I'd suggest whiskey, but ymmv. ;)

You can drink water during the break. You can do whatever you want during the break...it's a break for that reason.

Regarding nerves, here is how I plan to combat them:

- practice. practice = confidence. sounds like you are doing well consistently right now, so keep that in mind.

- do not study the day before the test. do something you enjoy. (I have booked a few spa services! )

- take the day before the test off work (if you work)

- exercise in the weeks leading up to the test. nothing major, but it will help you focus/stay sane.

- do not alter your routine on test day. if you drink coffee everyday, then drink coffee the morning of the test. if you read the paper every morning, read the paper the day of the test.

sarahh, I absolutely love the idea of going to the spa the day before! If there was any excuse to get a massage, this is it!

you can't do whatever you want during the break! you're not technically allowed to talk to anyone...apparantly, though i sort of doubt it, they have spies going around to make sure of that...regardless, if you are "caught" talking about the test, you can get screwed!

one thing i always mention to people writing in the morning is be careful with coffee....if you aren't used to it, it does crazy things to your stomach...and if you didn't get a good night's sleep the night before, you may need the caffeine....so, i would train yourself to tolerate a bit of coffee in the morning if you don't already know how

Also, dont talk to anyone - people try to stress you out.

This is key, key, key advice in my opinion! I don't know if people try to stress you out, but if you're around a lot of people who are freaking out about the test, this will probably rub off on you. I would add stay the hell away from boards like this one.

When I applied to law school I had no idea that boards like this existed, and I am extremely thankful that I didn't know. I had a couple friends who had applied and been accepted. They gave me reliable advice, the best being the LSAT is no big deal, don't sweat it. I walked into the LSAT if not confident, at least not overly worried about it. If you talk to a bunch of people about it before hand, you all will just scare each other. If you're going to talk to people, talk to ones who have done it before, and have done well because they'll be better at calming you down.

I would add stay the hell away from boards like this one.

Haha, OK, it's official. I am now abstaining from TALKING ABOUT THE LSAT AT ALL until I am done writing the test. No more answering to questions like "So, Tina, have you been studying everyday?" from friends and family... I may even stop studying altogether before test date!

Wish me luck!

You can drink water during the break. You can do whatever you want during the break...it's a break for that reason.

Regarding nerves, here is how I plan to combat them:

- practice. practice = confidence. sounds like you are doing well consistently right now, so keep that in mind.

- do not study the day before the test. do something you enjoy. (I have booked a few spa services! )

- take the day before the test off work (if you work)

- exercise in the weeks leading up to the test. nothing major, but it will help you focus/stay sane.

- do not alter your routine on test day. if you drink coffee everyday, then drink coffee the morning of the test. if you read the paper every morning, read the paper the day of the test.

for the food rule would they make exceptions for a diabetic? I'm required to always have candies and water on hand in the event that I might experience a low, or I get dehydrated (requiring water).

They would definitely make an exception for a diabetic, but you might need to bring a note from your doctor.

Technically, earplugs are considered a "study aid" and are not supposed to be allowed. I have heard from some people that the proctors at their test centre didn't care, though.