Sign in to follow this  
WhoWhere

Predict-O-Matic For Ontario Law Schools

your GPA is weak. Did you have sub 2.0 on first year?

If yu have a reason for a low first year GPA, then add 10to 15% to the following prediction. 

50% U of T- your B3 is very strong. 

60% Ottawa-

40% Osgoode

80% Queens and Western if you applied

Thanks for this.

I posted a full list of my undergraduate grades (from York) in another thread that I started yesterday. I have two BAs and a MA. I started the first BA way back in 2002. I was young, uninspired, unsure, and unfocused. Activism was more appealing than academia. I eventually left school for a couple years (from '07-'09) to work for a non-profit. I came back in '09, and finished my first Hons. BA in '11. I concurrently began working towards a second BA, because I knew that my record and knowledge base were insufficient for the type of graduate work I was interested in.

Studying through the summer while working nights in a bar, I received my second (Spec. Hons) BA in 2012. From my return to school in September '09, I never received a grade lower than an A, and most of my grades were A+s. I received quite a few scholarships and had the highest GPA in the Department of Political Science's graduating class.

That was good enough to get me into a highly competitive MA program with a CGS from SSHRC, a President's Graduate Scholarship, etc; I earned straight As again, was published and presented at conferences, and was lucky enough to enjoy some fantastic research experience, including a summer school at Harvard, and an international research project that I'm still involved in (our next symposium is at Oxford).

My softs are decent. I have a record of consistent volunteerism and employment throughout my undergrad and MA. I speak three languages fluently and I've started working on a fourth, although I didn't manage to squeeze my language skills into any of my statements, unfortunately. I also have very strong LORs from two big-name academics that I worked with in grad school.

I'm more than a little dismayed to be discovering that my spotty record from well over a decade ago might carry more weight than my consistent high-level work since 2009. I know that we're all over-achievers who are used to succeeding here, but I am confident that I belong at the best schools, with the best colleagues. I've never settled for less since 2009, and I applied nowhere else.

I've signed up to re-write the LSAT in February so I can crack 170. I'm aiming for 172, but, from what I can tell, I'll need a 175 to get into UBC, which doesn't look at second degrees or graduate degrees. 

I'd appreciate any additional insight you might have in light of this additional context.

Kind thanks.

EDIT -- Here's my record, copied over from the other thread:

Per OLSAS: 

CGPA: 3.35

MA: 

OLSAS doesn't list the grades for my courses, even though they're on the transcript. They were straight As: 86, 87, 93, 85, 87, 83 (if I recall correctly); I also received a 90 on a MRP that no-one other than my supervisor will ever read heh.

BA #2 (Spec. Hons BA)

From 2011-2012 (I started taking courses in the dept. in the 2010-2011 year, plus I had all my electives already)

Cumulative GPA 3.98  :uriel: 

Year             Duration:           Scale                Length                   Values                         GPA 

2012                F                      9                     9.0                            35.8                          3.98

2011                 S                     9                        3.0                        12.0                            4.0

BA #1 (Hons. BA)

From 2002-09 to 2011-06

Cumulative GPA 3.22   :(   :unsure:   :drinkers: 

Year             Duration:           Scale                Length                   Values                         GPA 

2011              F                        9                         10.0                       38.4                           3.84

2010               F                       9                          8.0                        31.20                         3.9

2007             S                         9                          4.0                          8.6                           2.15

2006              F                        9                          6.0                         13.9                          2.32

2005               F                             9                              9.0                             29.7                              3.30

2004               F                           9                                9.0                            24.6                              2.73

2003              F                            9                                11.0                           36.9                              3.35

Want to go deeper? Here's my YorkU list of courses / grades, slightly modified. FW refers to the academic year (fall/winter or SU for summer). 1k, 2k etc. refers to the level of the course. 3.0, 6.0, 9.0, etc. refers to credits. 6.0 is a full year class equivalent at York. NCR is my shameful NCR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FW 11           3k 3.0              A+

FW11            4k 6.0              A+

FW 11           4k 3.0              A+

FW11            2k 3.0              A+

FW 11           4k 3.0              A+

FW 11           4k 3.0              A

SU 11            2k 3.0             A+

SU 11            2k 6.0             A+

FIRST BA GRADES ONLY UP TO HERE:

FW 10           2k 6.0              A    

FW 10           2k 6.0              A+

FW 10           2k 6.0              A

FW 10           3k   6.0            A

FW 10           4k   6.0            A

FW 09           1k  6.0             A+

FW 09           1k 6.0              A

FW 09           2k  6.0             A

FW 09           1k  6.0             A+

FW 06            4k 3.0              C+

FW 06            3k 3.0              C+

FW 06            3k 6.0              C

FW05                2k  6.0                 C+

FW05                3k  3.0                 C

FW05                3k  3.0                 C

FW05                3k  3.0                 C+

FW05                4k  3.0                 B

FW 04              1k 6.0                   B+ (Repeat of NCR)

FW 04              2k 9.0                   B+

FW 04              2k  6.0                  B+

FW 04              3k  6.0                  B+

FW 03          1k  6.0              D+ (NCR)

FW 03          2k  6.0              C

FW 03          1k 9.0               A

FW 03          1k 6.0               B+

FW 02           1k 6.0              B

FW 02           1k 6.0              B+

FW 02            1k 6.0             A

FW 02            1k 3.0             A

FW 02             1k 3.0            B

FW 02            1k  3.0            B+

FW 02            1k 6.0             B+

Thanks again

Edited by longandwindingroad

3.49cGPA - 3.7L2/B2 - 163LSAT

Western - Queens - Osgoode

Good Extra Circulars: Placed second in an undergraduate mock trial competition. Volunteered as an executive for the same competition the next year. Other miscellaneous ECs throughout my undergrad.

Business/Legal Studies double major.

In addition I have two years work experience post undergrad. 

My cGPA is a bit low(terrible first year/mediocre second year) so please let me know what you think!

Edited by Otherways

OLSAS cGPA 3.65 / L2/B2 3.75 / 160 (Dec), re-writing Feb - hoping/expecting around 163 

applied: Os, Western, Queen's 

(top choice is Os) 

Fairly strong ECs IMO - Founder of a Pre-Law Society at my university. Above average volunteer work in the community. Worked f/t in the summer at a small criminal defence firm. 

LORs pretty good I think (don't have much to compare to) - 2 profs, 1 lawyer 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! 

3.49cGPA - 3.7L2/B2 - 163LSAT

Western - Queens - Osgoode

Good Extra Circulars: Placed second in an undergraduate mock trial competition. Volunteered as an executive for the same competition the next year. Other miscellaneous ECs throughout my undergrad.

Business/Legal Studies double major.

In addition I have two years work experience post undergrad. 

My cGPA is a bit low(terrible first year/mediocre second year) so please let me know what you think!. 

Any opinions?

Edited by Otherways

157 high - cGPA-3.52; B3: 3.78; L2: 3.91 

MA- 3.96

Queens, Western, OS....

Any thoughts? 

Any thoughts?

May get wait listed but I would think you get rejected at all these schools. The lsat will really bring you down at these schools. Try bumping it up to a 160 if possible.

May get wait listed but I would think you get rejected at all these schools. The lsat will really bring you down at these schools. Try bumping it up to a 160 if possible.

Thanks for the response. I won't be able to re-write in FEB, so I'm going to wait out this cycle and see what happens. If I get a bite from one of these schools i'd be beyond pleased...

Trying to see if I should dive in and apply to Dal as I haven't heard from anywhere except for Western and Ottawa. 

cGPA: 3.45

LSAT, 165 (Oct), 169 (Dec).

MA (4.0)

Applied as mature at all schools.

Chances for UofT, Osgoode, McGill, Queens and UBC?

I believe at UBC you can calculate your index score from their given formula to see where you stand, I'm not 100% certain though.^^

Edited by GotHeeem

Trying to see if I should dive in and apply to Dal as I haven't heard from anywhere except for Western and Ottawa.

cGPA: 3.45

LSAT, 165 (Oct), 169 (Dec).

MA (4.0)

Applied as mature at all schools.

Chances for UofT, Osgoode, McGill, Queens and UBC?

you have a decent chance at Oz, I would say in at queens, out at uoft, not sure about McGill. Edited by LawyerBryant

cGPA: 3.52

L2: 3.79

LSAT: 169 (only write)

In at Western and Ottawa, wondering about chances at Queens and Osgoode and assuming U of T is out due to low cGPA.

Thanks!

cGPA: 3.76

B2/L2: 3.78

LSAT: 163

Decent softs

Chances at Queens, Western, Ottawa, Osgoode, UofT?

cGPA: 3.76

B2/L2: 3.78

Decent softs

Chances at Queens, Western, Ottawa, Osgoode, UofT?

Not an expert at this, but I would say in at Queen's, Western, Ottawa. Good chance at Oz. Likely out at U of T 

cGPA: 3.26

B2/L2: 3.89

Mediocre softs and PS (tough to gauge)

Queens, Western, Ottawa, and Dal.

Thanks!

in at dal for sure 

(those were my stats roughly)

GPA: 3.3

Lsat 156

Very good softs and PS (personal hardship, compelling personal story about why law school is a must for me etc)

Applied to Osgoode, Ottawa, windsor and lakehead