Sign in to follow this  
Terracycle

Textbook and tuition estimate

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone, doing planning for the fall. I’m trying to gauge how much money I need to put away etc, but I don’t see the fees posted for 2021-2022 yet. I was going to use the tuition for last year (25,799) as an estimate but I can’t find anything for textbooks. Can someone help please? 
Also are there other fees I’m not taking into consideration? 

Edited by Terracycle

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Terracycle said:

Hey everyone, doing planning for the fall. I’m trying to gauge how much money I need to put away etc, but I don’t see the fees posted for 2021-2022 yet. I was going to use the tuition for last year (25,799) as an estimate but I can’t find anything for textbooks. Can someone help please? 
Also are there other fees I’m not taking into consideration? 

Texts books will run you about $900-$1000 for both terms in 1L (This is for new texts). This is what I budgeted. I found during my time at Osgoode that multiple profs were moving more towards free online materials, this was especially true in 2L and 3L. So budget for $1000 and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be lower. Further to this, there's a healthy student reselling market for texts which greatly reduces the costs (I think it's Legal and Lit Used Text Books or something like that on Facebook). 

I'll note here as well that all course materials are made available for students in the Osgoode Library. During my 2L I didn't buy a single text book, but rather opted to read the texts available in the library. There's a limited supply of these books, but I never once ran into a problem where I couldn't use the book. The course materials can only be booked for 2 hour time periods, and a subsequent booking is only doable after 30 minutes have lapsed from the end of the preceding time period. If there's a particularly pricey text, I'd encourage going to the library instead of buying it. 

As for further costs, I think the only mandatory one you're perhaps overlooking is the health/dental plans. These are mandatory unless you have alternative insurance coverage, proof of which must be provided. 

Edited by LeoandCharlie