sucksatusernames

Improving Speed for Logic Games?

Hey folks, 

Anyone out there found it difficult to stay within 35 minutes during the LG section? I find i do okay on practice sections that are untimed but when the timer is on the results are littered with mistakes that I wouldn't have made in an untimed setting. One tip i came across online is redoing games but I'm a little skeptic - aren't you just memorizing at that point and not really analyzing the questions? 

thanks!!! :) 

You’re right that it is memorizing and part of that is the point! Once you start recognizing the question types (hopefully you’re using a study source like 7sage or powerscore which will walk you through the different types of questions!) you’ll become much faster at setting up the questions and framing it in your mind. After you accomplish that, you’ll find you don’t need as much time for each question because you’ve either seen before or have seen something similar.

It’s a great sign that you’re doing well in times though because that means time is your only issue. Best of luck! 

Edited by LunarChild
  • Like 1

I had the same issue with the LG section. The best advice I can give is try and take a deep breath when you start the section. Its worth spending 10 seconds to calm your mind rather than losing easy points which can have a big effect on your final score. I used to make silly mistakes during my timed LG sections and it was because I was too nervous and I just wanted to quickly finish the game I was on to move on to the next and have extra time for the later (and mostly harder) games. 

• Like 1

thank you so much, @LunarChild @sucheese! Really appreciate the advice :)

I'm using a few different services (powerscore to hammer in the concepts behind each section & 7sage for taking PTs and watching explanation videos to reinforce what I read).  Overall, I've found the video explanations really helped me approach most questions with the right frame of mind but, to your point, I think I just need to work on recalling the right diagrams/strategies when they're needed.  I took a practice section for LG this morning so I'll redo it tonight and see how it goes! 

Agreed that taking a pause to get calm is crucial this morning I got like 5 questions wrong in a single game (timed section btw) despite a perfect diagram because my nerves blocked me from getting in the zone.  

Thanks again!

@sucksatusernames another thing I'd recommend is to try to complete 3 games instead of 4 within the time limit (35/3 = 11ish min per game). Aim to get every question correct in the 3 games rather than haphazardly attempting 4 games, leading to all games being partially correct. The extra time also subconsciously calmed me down because I knew I had plenty of time to do all of them to a high degree of accuracy. I found that to help me a lot and I was able to eventually improve my time so I could do all 4 games within the time limit. Once you find yourself with a few minutes to spare after completing 3 games, then move onto aiming for 3.5 games and then 4 games within the time - keeping the goal of maintaining high accuracy rather than completing all games.

• Like 2

@samii thank you! That's also a really good idea. I'm doing the reverse for LR by reducing time in 30 sec increments. 

How long would you say it took to get the whole section within 35 min? i'm scheduled for the June LSAT and may retake if necessary in August

Not that long! Your LSAT schedule was the same as mine and I think that was plenty of time for me. As other posters said above, speed is a matter of comfort and familiarity with the strategies. You'll get the feel for immediately knowing which type of diagram to draw and won't even have to think about it after a few weeks of learning/prepping. Then you'll notice that 10 min per game is a *lot* of time, and likely be able to cut down to 4-7 min per section (depending on difficulty), leaving time for the last section. Also, I found that the first 3 games were always generally pretty standard and repetitive, whereas the only one with unfamiliar 'tricks' was the last section. Initially, they might seem very different to you, but as you study more, you'll see that they're all basically the same thing but with slightly different variables and maybe a different 'trick' that differentiates each game. 

Of course, timing-wise, this was my personal experience and you might find it to be a faster or slower process for you. Remember to self-assess because what is effective for others may not be effective for you!