i'm not bad at logic games and logical reasoning, but i've been putting off studying for the reading comp and now i only have a few weeks until june LSAT. 

any tips on how i should approach this section to boost my score? 

Reading comp is tough to improve on. However, there are a couple of things you can try strategically. 

First off, read the economist and other such magazines for pleasure. Read a section of an article. Consider the bottom line and move to the next section. Get into the habit of doing this in RC sections. Read a paragraph. Ask yourself what the author’s bottom line is, then move to the next paragraph.

You can try reading the questions first. It may work for you. 

You can try reading at a much slower pace and upping your comprehension. 

If you are still struggling closer to test date, I’d recommend aiming to get perfect on 3 passages. Start with your strongest subject and save the tough passage for last. But use this strategy with some caution because sometimes the toughest subject matter (law, science for ex.) might be the gimme passage. 

I’m sure more folks on here will have other thoughts as well. Best of luck to you. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As a former student of ours you know I have to lecture you at least a little bit for pushing off reading comp until just a few weeks before your exam 😑

I know I must have talked about my hockey school experience to start the course. Before we first got onto the ice our coach asked us: does practice make perfect? The answer was a resounding NO (he was Italian so it really did feel like he yelled at us)! Of course practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Which is why we take great pains to study with the good form (read: proper workflow). He also asked: what do people like to practice? We all answered by saying "things that we need to work on", and he again yelled NO! People SHOULD practice what they need to work on. But what they practice instead are the things they are already good at because it makes them feel good. And it's so true. I'm a goalie and I can't handle the puck to save my life. I should have worked on that much more than I did because of its importance to my overall game. But I felt like an idiot every time I did so I practiced butterfly slides instead and boy could I get across the net fast! Fast forward to today and you still don't want to see me stick handle.

Alright that's enough of a lecture. Now lets see what we can do get boost that score!

You know our general approach but just to re-emphasize the primary goal is to read the stimulus well enough so that, with exception of line questions, you can confidently pre-phrase the answer choices without backreading. It's the backreading when you don't know what you're looking for that usually is the time killer. However, without knowing your history or how your score breaks down it's rather hard to provide any particular advice (though see bottom of this post).

With a 13/27 score I imagine you are completely attempting 2 passages and maybe running out of time on the third. I'd also imagine that while our general approach works for passages whose content you jive with (maybe 1 or 2 out of the 3) it is really a slog on the third. Does that sound about right? If that's the case you may want to try something slightly different. I'll use myself as an example. I really dislike art-history passages or anything that is fact / date specific. I mean, I can understand arguments about utility theory and how omnipotence causes an issue for borrowing for a sovereign easy enough (and so I can readily recall related details) but give me a date when paintings went from neo-classical to modern and the name of the person who spearheaded the transition...and well, I just am not going to remember that. That's pure memorization and doing that on the fly, on subject you don't jive with, is a difficult go. 

So instead of plowing time into trying to remember those details (for these specific passages) focus on general themes of each paragraph and the LOCATION of the details. In other words, don't keep re-reading until you understand the argument / memorized the details. Read enough so you get the general gist of a paragraph, paraphrase it before moving on, and highlight or otherwise denote what details are contained in that paragraph. The general idea is that in this approach you spend less time on the passage, accept that you are going to have to backread, but you take good care to highlight where the details are so you arn't aimlessly backreading. Recall that the problem with backreading is when you don't know where to look (which is why we encourage backreading when you're given a specific line). I've found this approach helps quite a bit because it's fundamentally true that no matter how much time you spend on some passages, you just ain't going to recall them in the detail you need to. So it's better to save time on the passage and spend it on the questions with the caveat that you at least attempt to identify the location of the overall themes on the first go.

BTW I'm about to message you my near-term schedule and if you feel comfortable breaking the pseudo-anonymity of the this board feel free to respond with a time that works for you so we can review your latest RC homework. I trust that you've been doing the RC on the HR interface, and with that in front of us, we will be better able to pin-point particular areas/passage content/question types/etc worth investigating to optimize the study time you have left. No fee obviously! 

Edited by AllanRC
  • Like 3

I used to tutor LSAT. Have you tried reading slower and attempting 3 passages with higher accuracy - and just guessing B on the last passage (or whatever passage is longest)? The LSAT is about getting the most questions correct, not answering every question.

I watched the best video on reading comprehension that changed everything for me. I was doing 22/23, 22/25 on the other sections and 9/27 on reading comp, even when I didn't worry about time. The video I found on youtube and described a method where you simply read the first sentence of each paragraph and then gather the main point, answer the main point question, and then only read what you have to to answer the remaining questions. I had this idea that I had to read everything and retain it, and then return to the paragraphs and understand everything well. The other method is that you look at the four reading passages and decide which on you are not doing (usually the one with least questions or hardest) and then you spend your time on the other three and in the time remaining quickly quess on the last questions for the passage you left. It sounds terrifying I know but it worked for me. I ended up getting closer to 20-22/27 which I thought was impossible for me. In the time spent on the three passages you get many questions right and then likely get a couple right when guessing on the final passage. This all depends on the questions and difficulty but it's worth a shot.

1 hour ago, PinkSuitAndTie said:

I watched the best video on reading comprehension that changed everything for me. I was doing 22/23, 22/25 on the other sections and 9/27 on reading comp, even when I didn't worry about time. The video I found on youtube and described a method where you simply read the first sentence of each paragraph and then gather the main point, answer the main point question, and then only read what you have to to answer the remaining questions. I had this idea that I had to read everything and retain it, and then return to the paragraphs and understand everything well. The other method is that you look at the four reading passages and decide which on you are not doing (usually the one with least questions or hardest) and then you spend your time on the other three and in the time remaining quickly quess on the last questions for the passage you left. It sounds terrifying I know but it worked for me. I ended up getting closer to 20-22/27 which I thought was impossible for me. In the time spent on the three passages you get many questions right and then likely get a couple right when guessing on the final passage. This all depends on the questions and difficulty but it's worth a shot.

Link to video? I feel like it may be hard to understand the main point only reading 3 or 4 sentences.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Link to video? I feel like it may be hard to understand the main point only reading 3 or 4 sentences.

Sorry I actually meant the first and last sentences of each paragraph. It works!

Edited by PinkSuitAndTie