Does anyone mind sharing with me the 1L summary drive I keep hearing about everywhere? I would very much appreciate it! Thank you so much in advance!

Looking at these before starting law school is a really bad idea. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bernard said:

I just wanted to organize them into my folders, not planning on reading any of them.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bernard said:

Oh shit lol I assumed I was helping some 1L who was about to get slapped on exams

• Haha 8

Posted (edited)

Would 2018/19 summaries still be recent enough that they’d be worth looking at? I just ask because I know that the law is ever changing, and I’m not sure how quickly materials in the field become outdated because of this. 

I’m a 0L, but not planning on reading the summaries yet.

Edited by navyblue11

29 minutes ago, navyblue11 said:

Would 2018/19 summaries still be recent enough that they’d be worth looking at? I just ask because I know that the law is ever changing, and I’m not sure how quickly materials in the field become outdated because of this. 

Depends on course - you can generally get by with an old summary and some small tweaks. You can normally just check the syllabus / reading list to compare

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, navyblue11 said:

Depends on the course, the prof, and what's happened recently in that area of the law. I suspect my corporate summary from a couple years ago would still be good based on the type of questions the prof asked and the lack of statutory reform in area in the last couple years. A few things might have changed but not much. Conversely, my admin summary was pre-Vavilov so if you relied on that for a current exam you would almost certainly fail.

Most 1L courses haven't seen any huge changes recently. Constitutional has a few big cases a year, there's been a few big negligence cases recently but nothing drastic for torts. Contracts would be pretty similar but with some recent changes to good faith and unconscionability. I don't follow crim closely enough to comment properly but I suspect it would be pretty similar over the last few years. Property is virtually unchanged in the last 100 years, so you're good there (except aboriginal title claims).

• Like 1

Guys, don't worry about looking at or downloading summaries yet. When you start 1L your O-Week JPs will send you summaries, and your LRWA prof will teach you how to make case briefs. I say this as someone who downloaded a bunch of summaries to my dropbox last year and didn't end up using any of them. 

Generally, the summaries on the SLS drive are good and mostly up to date. The SCC may release a decision every few years that needs to be considered, but they can always be added to an old summary afterwards. 

• Like 1

You're better off downloading some cookbooks (especially if you're living away from home). Learning to cook well will save you so much money and time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, navyblue11 said:

I'm using a contracts summary from 2017 and to be honest it's so accurate I'm pretty sure my prof is using it too. 

Edited by ShanMan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShanMan said:

I'm using a contracts summary from 2017 and to be honest it's so accurate I'm pretty sure my prof is using it too. 

Yeah you can pretty much follow along his class with the summary and sometimes the summary is verbatim! 

With a prof like that, older summaries are less of a problem, but make sure you add in new case law that didn’t exist in 2017 and was covered this year. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 6:45 PM, ShanMan said:

King? Lol I probably have the same one