Sign in to follow this  
Gatsby17

How does Western look at your cGPA

So my cGPA is basically terrible. Its sitting at a 3.0

But i am taking extra courses to boost my Last two years GPA 

after taking these courses my L2 should be sitting at a 3.6 (hopefully)

My question is will western really look at my cGPA? How much would the cGPA have an affect on my application if I end up boosting my L2 gpa?

Hope that makes sense

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to tell you that with a cGPA like yours, a 3.7 L2/B2 and a 173 LSAT, I was waitlisted at Western a few cycles back. Either they absolutely hated my personal statement, or they care more about cGPA than some people here claim. I got in (without being waitlisted) everywhere else but UofT, so I don't think my personal statement was notably terrible.

Others here have had different experiences, I have no insider experience, I'm just telling you what my experience was. It was odd.

Edited by CleanHands

Thanks for your reply

what schools did you end up getting accepted to ?

No they aren't im going to go back as a non degree student and take them 

I think im going back for like five courses. still confirming how many courses i have to take to boost that L2 gpa 

I would recommend you double check with Admissions to see if they'll consider part time courses as part of their L2 calculation.

just confirmed that western will look at any non degree courses whether they are taken as full time or part time 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I'm sorry to tell you that with a cGPA like yours, a 3.7 L2/B2 and a 173 LSAT, I was waitlisted at Western a few cycles back.

Did you apply General or discretionary (mature, etc.)?

Edited by dimsum1

2 hours ago, Gatsby17 said:

Thanks for your reply

what schools did you end up getting accepted to ?

Rather than listing them all out, I will say that I applied very broadly and was accepted very broadly. Was rejected from UofT and did not apply to McGill, aside from that I received acceptances across the board and Western was really the anomaly.

21 minutes ago, dimsum1 said:

Did you apply General or discretionary (mature, etc.)?

I was a mature student and had medical documentation with respect to my initial poor marks. Different schools categorized things in different ways so I don't recall what I did with each specific school, although I did avail myself of special categories where possible. Which made the Western decision even stranger as I was really close to their median L2 GPA and way above their LSAT standards (and they even claim on their website that "we will place greater weight on the last 2 years of full-time (or equivalent) undergraduate study in appropriate circumstances, typically where the cumulative average falls below 3.7"). I really didn't care by the time I was waitlisted as I had already accepted at my first choice of school (and I removed myself from the waitlist rather than waiting to see what happened), it was just unexpected.

But anyways, this cycle I've seen some really strange admissions decisions across the board for many schools, so I guess this isn't unique to me or to Western and I would suggest applicants go into things without too much in the way of expectations and that people on the forum hedge the chance estimates they give people.

gotcha! thank you for the reply!

the goal is to upgrade my last two years gpa by taking extra courses as a non degree student

my cGPA is really not strong so i just hope they dont look at it

I was accepted by Western this cycle with with a 3.08 cGPA and a 3.65 L2 (and a 167 LSAT). Mind you, I also have 2 masters degrees and got an A- average in both (both were course-based). I think cGPA does matter, but they account for how long ago your undergrad was and what you've done since then, and whether you've proved that you could probably do better if you were given another chance (and ergo succeed in law school). 

I don't think they weigh your cGPA too heavily. My cGPA is pretty tragic but I have a strong L2 and a sub-par LSAT and was waitlisted last cycle. I know that's not an acceptance but I really do think they prioritize your L2, and favour a strong upward trend. (I have friends who were accepted over previous cycles with lower cGPA's but strong L2's as well). 

6 hours ago, carncan said:

I was accepted by Western this cycle with with a 3.08 cGPA and a 3.65 L2 (and a 167 LSAT). Mind you, I also have 2 masters degrees and got an A- average in both (both were course-based). I think cGPA does matter, but they account for how long ago your undergrad was and what you've done since then, and whether you've proved that you could probably do better if you were given another chance (and ergo succeed in law school). 

congrats! did  you aplpy in the general category?

3 hours ago, prelawfemme said:

I don't think they weigh your cGPA too heavily. My cGPA is pretty tragic but I have a strong L2 and a sub-par LSAT and was waitlisted last cycle. I know that's not an acceptance but I really do think they prioritize your L2, and favour a strong upward trend. (I have friends who were accepted over previous cycles with lower cGPA's but strong L2's as well). 

yeah my cGPA is terrible its sitting at a 3.0. My L2 gpa is a 3.1/3.2 right now but Im thinking of taking extra courses to boost that

2 hours ago, Gatsby17 said:

congrats! did  you aplpy in the general category?

Thanks! Yea, general.