Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SK1373

June 2021 LSAT-Flex

Recommended Posts

Hello all! 

I was planning on taking the June LSATS. However, I only have the last week of April, all of May and the first week to two weeks of June to study for it (depending on the date of the exam, right now it just says week of June 12th)...has anyone here been able to do well with 6-7 weeks of daily, rigorous studying?? I don't know if I'm setting myself up for failure? 

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I started studying a month or so ago and I'm also studying for my exams right now at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has been studying 30hrs a week for 2 months... this scenario would be all but impossible for me. I started with a 151, I'm at a ~158 now, looking to get into the 170's. It might be a case of confirmation bias for me, but I have not really heard of someone getting a +15pt increase in 6-7 weeks... so I'm tentatively aiming for the Oct/Nov writings. 

To that extent, it all depends on what your base score is, and what your goal score is. If your diagnostic is a 160, and you're only needing to get a 165. It's a much smaller hill to climb, and therefore much more feasible, within 6-7 weeks when compared to than what my situation is like. Keep in mind that if you haven't done a diagnostic, the avg is around 152 for first-time takers.

Studying for the LSAT is also very individualistic. Any "schedule" needs to be iterative, never static. What I mean by this is that, while setting goals for your time-frame and goal score are absolutely important to stay focused, you need to be flexible with it. Many people (though not all), find that their improvement on the LSAT is not predictable - it's not the case where you learn one new concept and BAM - your score has gone up by +5pts. This makes your studying & progression for the test vastly different from general undergrad, where you might finally grasp an idea and then you're propelling your grades from B's to A's. Saying "I will study in 6-7 weeks, and do great on the test" is an awesome objective, but you might find that by week 3, your goal just isn't attainable.

I know this sounds both preachy & gloomy. Keep in mind that everything is relative. The LSAT is VERY relative because everyone comes to it from VERY different backgrounds and understandings. Lots of people take a year to study, lots of people take 6 months to study, lots of people take 3 months... and so on. It's all about your relative comfort level with the test.

I hope this helps to get the right mindset for the LSAT. At the end of the day, it's really all about YOU. Understand what you want from the LSAT, and then be realistic about how close you are to that goal. Maybe you find the test to be easy, and your diagnostic is right on the money for your goal score... in which case, I wouldn't hesitate to do the exam in 6-7 weeks. 

Have you taken I diagnostic? That might help you to get better advice from the forum. 

 

Lastly - I would never study for this test while trying to do exams. That sounds like holding a double-edged sword; your undergrad exams suffer from time spent studying & worrying about the LSAT, your LSAT grade suffers because your attention isn't focused on the test. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say you would need at least 2 months of studying. I started last July thinking I would be ready by the end of August, but I wasn't. You need a couple of weeks to get familiar with the foundations and then another month and a half of hammering down the concepts. I started with a 152ish and by the end of august I was in the high 150s. I had to postpone my exam date by another month to bump my score up into the 160s. If you have time, use it, don't rush this. I ended up with a 162 because I gave myself more time. You'll be doing yourself a favour. Also, once you have the concepts down, drill PTs as much as you can because that's when I saw the biggest increase in my score.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TO1513 said:

As someone who has been studying 30hrs a week for 2 months... this scenario would be all but impossible for me. I started with a 151, I'm at a ~158 now, looking to get into the 170's. It might be a case of confirmation bias for me, but I have not really heard of someone getting a +15pt increase in 6-7 weeks... so I'm tentatively aiming for the Oct/Nov writings. 

To that extent, it all depends on what your base score is, and what your goal score is. If your diagnostic is a 160, and you're only needing to get a 165. It's a much smaller hill to climb, and therefore much more feasible, within 6-7 weeks when compared to than what my situation is like. Keep in mind that if you haven't done a diagnostic, the avg is around 152 for first-time takers.

Studying for the LSAT is also very individualistic. Any "schedule" needs to be iterative, never static. What I mean by this is that, while setting goals for your time-frame and goal score are absolutely important to stay focused, you need to be flexible with it. Many people (though not all), find that their improvement on the LSAT is not predictable - it's not the case where you learn one new concept and BAM - your score has gone up by +5pts. This makes your studying & progression for the test vastly different from general undergrad, where you might finally grasp an idea and then you're propelling your grades from B's to A's. Saying "I will study in 6-7 weeks, and do great on the test" is an awesome objective, but you might find that by week 3, your goal just isn't attainable.

I know this sounds both preachy & gloomy. Keep in mind that everything is relative. The LSAT is VERY relative because everyone comes to it from VERY different backgrounds and understandings. Lots of people take a year to study, lots of people take 6 months to study, lots of people take 3 months... and so on. It's all about your relative comfort level with the test.

I hope this helps to get the right mindset for the LSAT. At the end of the day, it's really all about YOU. Understand what you want from the LSAT, and then be realistic about how close you are to that goal. Maybe you find the test to be easy, and your diagnostic is right on the money for your goal score... in which case, I wouldn't hesitate to do the exam in 6-7 weeks. 

Have you taken I diagnostic? That might help you to get better advice from the forum. 

 

Lastly - I would never study for this test while trying to do exams. That sounds like holding a double-edged sword; your undergrad exams suffer from time spent studying & worrying about the LSAT, your LSAT grade suffers because your attention isn't focused on the test. 

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I've been hesitant about taking the June exam and reading your post made me realize that it's just not a good idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like everyone is different but I studied for about 30-35 hours a week for 7 weeks and that was enough for me. You also have to feel out what works for you and what doesn't, for example, when I would do 3 practice tests a day I would end up getting frustrated and my score would be in the mid 150's by the end of the day. If you're committed to studying 30-40 hours a week then it may be possible for you. I would say because the LSAT is going back to 4 sections in August I would maybe try to do the June Flex if possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, legalassistant22 said:

I feel like everyone is different but I studied for about 30-35 hours a week for 7 weeks and that was enough for me. You also have to feel out what works for you and what doesn't, for example, when I would do 3 practice tests a day I would end up getting frustrated and my score would be in the mid 150's by the end of the day. If you're committed to studying 30-40 hours a week then it may be possible for you. I would say because the LSAT is going back to 4 sections in August I would maybe try to do the June Flex if possible. 

What score did you end up with? if you don't mind me asking. And was that it? just the seven weeks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SK1373 said:

What score did you end up with? if you don't mind me asking. And was that it? just the seven weeks? 

I ended up with a 167, and my diagnostic was a 153. Yes, I would do questions here and there before but I started studying seriously 7 weeks prior to my LSAT test date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 6:31 AM, legalassistant22 said:

I ended up with a 167, and my diagnostic was a 153. Yes, I would do questions here and there before but I started studying seriously 7 weeks prior to my LSAT test date. 

Thank you for your response! And last question (I think), what did you use to study? which books or online courses? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SK1373 said:

Thank you for your response! And last question (I think), what did you use to study? which books or online courses? 

I did the Kaplan Prep course but it didn't help me much. I used Khan academy for a bit but I mostly just did the prep tests and reviewed what I was getting wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...