Rusty164

Please convince me why Ryerson is a good idea

25 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Not necessarily, because Queens and Western aren't bottom feeder schools that accept people who wouldn't have been accepted anywhere 1 year ago but for the opening of a new law school (Ryerson). 

I can guarantee you there are people at Ryerson that could have gotten in elsewhere and the top of the admissions cohort has stats better than the bottom of the admissions cohort Western and Queens.

I could easily turn this around on you and say that Queens and Western ARE bottom feeders that accept people that wouldn't get accepted into U of T, UBC, McGill or Osgoode, and so therefore all of their graduates are shittier than U of T etc. graduates. Most people would find that ridiculous, but when it comes to you and Ryerson, you don't seem to think so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I say that as someone who made more than my share of dumb, ill considered comments that I regret on this forum before, particularly when I was a 1L. I hope that people don’t hold those comments against me, and that my decision to be more thoughtful in my responses will convince those that would hold it against me that I’m no longer that person or hold those beliefs. But it’s a lot easier if you just don’t burn that social capital in the first place. 

This is a wise post. But alternatively if, like myself, one is unable to resist making "dumb, ill considered comments that [they] regret" and making themselves dox-able, I would recommend joining the crim bar! It truly is the refuge of weirdos and misfits but trust me, it's a good time.

Also, I love what a shitshow the forums are today. I wish every day this place was this entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

This is a wise post. But alternatively if, like myself, one is unable to resist making "dumb, ill considered comments that [they] regret" and making themselves dox-able, I would recommend joining the crim bar! It truly is the refuge of weirdos and misfits but trust me, it's a good time.

Also, I love what a shitshow the forums are today. I wish every day this place was this entertaining.

Me every time I see a Ryerson thread:

On the good advice of @BlockedQuebecois, I will be taking an indefinite (permanent) break from Ryerson threads. 

Which is probably a good thing, because I wasted a ridiculous amount of time on this today 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I say that as someone who made more than my share of dumb, ill considered comments that I regret on this forum before, particularly when I was a 1L. I hope that people don’t hold those comments against me, and that my decision to be more thoughtful in my responses will convince those that would hold it against me that I’m no longer that person or hold those beliefs. But it’s a lot easier if you just don’t burn that social capital in the first place. 

As someone who responded to you with at least one snarky post, I'll say that I have found your recent contributions to be quite helpful and thoughtful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

On the good advice of @BlockedQuebecois, I will be taking an indefinite (permanent) break from Ryerson threads. 

At least give @Leafs2021 enough time to refill their popcorn.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, canuckfanatic said:

At least give @Leafs2021 enough time to refill their popcorn.

Been eating popcorn for the past 36 hours just binging this thread, so much so that you could call me @mistertubby

Edited by Leafs2021
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Leafs2021 said:

Been eating popcorn for the past 36 hours just binging this thread 

That’s a lot of dietary fibre:toimonster:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CleanHands said:

You know it's finals season when...

• Like 2

So from those who are trying to answer why it's a good idea, I gather that Ryerson is primarily a step to increasing competition in the legal market, which is good for people who employ lawyers, because it will lower the expense of hiring the lawyer. It will lower the expense not only by increasing the supply of lawyers (and quicker, by integrating the articling requirements) but by emphasizing technological innovations that will further reduce the time and cost of providing legal services to the client. There is a complex tension between lowering legal fees and quality control, so there is some balance to be maintained that I guess the LSO is currently satisfied with.

9 minutes ago, Rusty164 said:

but by emphasizing technological innovations that will further reduce the time and cost of providing legal services to the client.

(Other squabbles about Ryerson aside)

I don't think anyone believes that but 20-year-old 0L Ryerson admits who bought the marketing.

COVID, on the other hand, has forced the legal field to finally adopt technologies that they should have decades ago (one of the few good things to come of the situation), and that's not going to change once the pandemic is over. That has had about a million times the impact in terms of "technological innovations" in the field than Ryerson teaching students to code ever will.

• Like 3

Good point. As for lowering the expense for people who employ lawyers, are they trying to lower the expense for corporate clients and high-stakes litigants, or for people who are struggling in tribunals and small claims? Because if Ryerson wanted to help those who can barely afford it, what about a paralegal program?