legaldreams

Neighbourhoods/ roommates

Hi all! 

For those of you who are moving to MTL (or maybe moving somewhere new in MTL), what neighbourhoods are you thinking of living in? I went there for undergrad and lived in residence, then near place des arts and then in the Milton-Parc community so I want to avoid those places. Ideally, I'd love to find some fun girls to room with but I don't even know which neighbourhoods to start looking at lol. I think the Plateau or the village is probably where i want to end up... but do you guys have any thoughts on your living situation for next year? 

• Like 1

Plateau all the way for me! Close enough to campus, but quiet with lots of small businesses. The only concern is climbing the hill everyday (unless you live along the 144 bus line).

51 minutes ago, legaldreams said:

Hi all! 

For those of you who are moving to MTL (or maybe moving somewhere new in MTL), what neighbourhoods are you thinking of living in? I went there for undergrad and lived in residence, then near place des arts and then in the Milton-Parc community so I want to avoid those places. Ideally, I'd love to find some fun girls to room with but I don't even know which neighbourhoods to start looking at lol. I think the Plateau or the village is probably where i want to end up... but do you guys have any thoughts on your living situation for next year? 

As long as you're near a metro station, McGill is pretty accessible, as you know from having lived here!  I lived on the Plateau for a long while, and loved it, and I recommend it. But there's also something to be said for the multicultural atmosphere of Côte-des-Neiges and part of Snowdon, and I personally really love Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, especially near the Vendôme metro station or Monkland village. 

39 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

As long as you're near a metro station, McGill is pretty accessible, as you know from having lived here!  I lived on the Plateau for a long while, and loved it, and I recommend it. But there's also something to be said for the multicultural atmosphere of Côte-des-Neiges and part of Snowdon, and I personally really love Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, especially near the Vendôme metro station or Monkland village. 

Thanks for the response!! NDG is definitely appealing too, hmm.

I'm also moving to Montreal, and have no clue about any of the neighborhoods! Does anyone have an opinion on the Golden Square mile (Mille Carré Doré) which I guess is the area where the law building is located. I've been finding several smaller apartment buildings that are a legit 5 minute walk to the law building (which would be so convenient), but I can't find any information about what its like living there. I just want to know if its a too-good-to-be true scenario because the apartments are so close to the law building and actually decently priced, very comparable if not better than the places I looked at in the Plateau. Being so close to campus, I'm guessing noise could be an issue but I just wanted to see what others thought :) 

1 hour ago, Mar27beth said:

I'm also moving to Montreal, and have no clue about any of the neighborhoods! Does anyone have an opinion on the Golden Square mile (Mille Carré Doré) which I guess is the area where the law building is located. I've been finding several smaller apartment buildings that are a legit 5 minute walk to the law building (which would be so convenient), but I can't find any information about what its like living there. I just want to know if its a too-good-to-be true scenario because the apartments are so close to the law building and actually decently priced, very comparable if not better than the places I looked at in the Plateau. Being so close to campus, I'm guessing noise could be an issue but I just wanted to see what others thought :) 

I'm from Montreal and did my undergrad at McGill, but I commute to school. However I just wanted to say that getting an apartment that close to campus would be a godsend. I don't know anything about the living situation, but I can say that McGill law campus is situated at the top of the 'hill', up Peel Street, and that walk is horrible in the winter and the sidewalks near the law buildings are super icy and bad during the winter. SO just based off that I feel like living 5 min away from campus would be a godsend. You can send me a PM if u have any questions about the campus and how to get there from different neighbourhoods if you want, I'd be happy to help. 

• Like 2

There is nothing up there except very expensive houses. There are decent apartments around the fac but no restos or grocery stores. You'll ultimately deal with the Hill somehow. You get used to it.

HOMA is fun and less expensive. Green line is 20 mins to campus. Cote des Neiges was a great neighborhood too, especially like on Ridgewood or Forest Hill. Take the 165 just past the hospital and walk the rest of the way. You're a walk to Beaver Hill too. Actually, I used to walk to Guy metro but the 165 passes all the time.

Ndg is hit or miss. Some really shoddy apartments though the community is great.

You can live in the Pointe and take a bus close to the law fac. And near Atwater and take the 144. 

Plateau is expensive though is a great neighborhood to be in. I didn't mind the 20 minute walk (or 7 min bike ride). Be a hipster and move to Mile End/Ex, like a sizeable group of law students do. Jean Talon market is great to have nearby.

I thoroughly recommend not living in the McGill bubble. Enjoy Montreal and all the public transit options! (Well, safely). There is waaay more to the island than Crscent/Peel/Lower St Laurent Street.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, artsydork said:

Plateau is expensive though is a great neighborhood to be in. I didn't mind the 20 minute walk (or 7 min bike ride). Be a hipster and move to Mile End/Ex, like a sizeable group of law students do. Jean Talon market is great to have nearby.

Mile End would be my go to - I've been staying there for years now every time I visit the city.  Plateau is great too, but I like that Mile End is just a little more removed, yet still has lots to enjoy.  Jean Talon market is also a godsend.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, artsydork said:

Be a hipster and move to Mile End/Ex, like a sizeable group of law students do. Jean Talon market is great to have nearby.

I'm gonna say this is probably the best advice so far. Mile End/Parc Extension is one of the most livable neighbourhoods in the city. Go there if you can.

12 hours ago, artsydork said:

Ndg is hit or miss. Some really shoddy apartments though the community is great.

This is also true. Some really nice apartments too, though. The closer you get to a Metro station, the nicer — and more expensive — it becomes (as a general, but not universal rule). 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, GreyDude said:

I'm gonna say this is probably the best advice so far. Mile End/Parc Extension is one of the most livable neighbourhoods in the city. Go there if you can.

This is also true. Some really nice apartments too, though. The closer you get to a Metro station, the nicer — and more expensive — it becomes (as a general, but not universal rule). 

My only worry with the mile end is that i am notoriously bad at waking up and early classes might kick my ass if it's a long commute LOL.  But I loveeeee the neighbourhood and it's close to most of my hobbies so that could be amazing! 

On 4/14/2021 at 4:16 PM, Mar27beth said:

Yay, congrats! my partner graduated mcgill law this year and had friends who moved to MTL for the first time living in that nerighbourhood and they seemed to have mixed experiences because even though it's close, there's not much in the way of groceries/ amenities. :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, legaldreams said:

My only worry with the mile end is that i am notoriously bad at waking up and early classes might kick my ass if it's a long commute LOL.  But I loveeeee the neighbourhood and it's close to most of my hobbies so that could be amazing! 

Don't let the name fool you. From St-Viateur Bagel to McGill Law can be ½ hour or less by bus.  You'd walk over to Parc and grab the 80 south to Pine. From there you could walk since it's just a few stops, or grab the 144 if it's there. Go to Peel and walk (or slide in winter) down the hill to the law faculty. Since I started you at the best Bagel place in the city, you'd be munching on golden goodness all the way. 😁

Or get a bike. It would probably be faster. And obviously YMMV depending on where in Mile End you find a place. 

And yeah... I love Montreal.

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, GreyDude said:

Don't let the name fool you. From St-Viateur Bagel to McGill Law can be ½ hour or less by bus.  You'd walk over to Parc and grab the 80 south to Pine. From there you could walk since it's just a few stops, or grab the 144 if it's there. Go to Peel and walk (or slide in winter) down the hill to the law faculty. Since I started you at the best Bagel place in the city, you'd be munching on golden goodness all the way. 😁

Or get a bike. It would probably be faster. And obviously YMMV depending on where in Mile End you find a place. 

And yeah... I love Montreal.

I'm going to expect all my directions start with a bagel stop from now on :) thanks for the insight!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, legaldreams said:

I'm going to expect all my directions start with a bagel stop from now on :) thanks for the insight!

Bagel stops. It’s the Montreal way. 😎

Edited by GreyDude