Sign in to follow this  
law3434

Special Students

Don't know if anyone here would know the answer to this but its worth a shot. Since I'm not sure if I'll be getting in this year for law I'm looking to take a few classes next year to boost my GPA up and someone mentioned registering as a special student. I don't know much about this (will be meeting with an advisor this week) but if anyone as done something similar to upgrade classes and has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it! 3.5 GPA and 163 LSAT score so maybe theres still a small chance haha.

Unfortunately, U of A do not have an admissions category for special students. They have a holistic round, which (to my knowledge) looks over your overall GPA and perhaps emphasizes more on your ECs.

I think it may be easier to get a higher LSAT score than trying to upgrade you CGPA? Although U of A looks at your last 60 credits, bumping that LSAT score to 165 - 6 with a 3.5 GPA would give you a much higher chance of admissions.

If you look at the accepted thread for this year, there are some who got in with 3.5 L60 and 165-6. Keep in mind that this year is considered to be more difficult to get in than previous cycles, so just by bumping up your lsat score by 2 points may be easier than taking more courses.

If I understand your question, I think you can do open studies on a more casual basis, but some courses may not be available. Or you can apply for a 2nd degree program and then just not finish it (what I ended up doing for upgrading). But I don't think there is a special student category that I know of. Hope that helps!

19 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

bumping up your lsat score by 2 points may be easier than taking more courses.

Possibly. Improvement on the LSAT is so unpredictable. I've known people that have studied for months only to get the same score or a lower score. Not saying don't try, just saying it might be smart to attempt both. 

OP should put their L20 in a GPA calculator and see how many A's they need to actually boost the GPA, because it takes a lot of classes to do it. 

23 hours ago, law3434 said:

Don't know if anyone here would know the answer to this but its worth a shot. Since I'm not sure if I'll be getting in this year for law I'm looking to take a few classes next year to boost my GPA up and someone mentioned registering as a special student. I don't know much about this (will be meeting with an advisor this week) but if anyone as done something similar to upgrade classes and has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it! 3.5 GPA and 163 LSAT score so maybe theres still a small chance haha.

I did this, I did a victory lap as an unclassified student.