Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I'm currently a second-year student at UBC. Because of high-school transfer credits, I'm eligible to graduate in 3 years if I want to. I was browsing through Allard's FAQ page and came across:

"However, prospective applicants should be aware that almost all of our JD students have completed a four year degree. In recent years approximately five applicants a year have been admitted without a four-year undergraduate degree."

I was just wondering if graduating in 3 years would actively be seen as a disadvantage by the admissions committee, or if there are just a lot fewer people applying with a 3-year degree?

Edited by pbb15

I'm at UofT but I don't think it is seen as a disadvantage, if anything it's very impressive. The only thing is most people opt not to do it - it's nice to ride out university, you mature more than you think. And law school is really hard, no need to rush into it too soon. Plus, you realize that if you do this you don't leave university with an undergraduate degree under your belt - you'll forego a BA/BS. If it turns out you don't like law, that might be a problem. 

• Like 2

A 3-year degree won’t be viewed negatively by admissions. However, a bit of maturity goes a long way in law school and reflects well on you when you’re applying to jobs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, artsydork said:

Is it a 3 year degree or a 4 year degree completed in 3? 

A 4 year degree completed in 3 years

On 4/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, pbb15 said:

A 4 year degree completed in 3 years

I completed my 4 year degree in 3 years and got in this cycle. I don’t think you would be at a disadvantage. I think it’s just a lot of people don’t choose to (or can’t) finish their degree in 3 years. 
Also I think the quote you chose might be referring to those people who apply in their 3rd years and go to law school without completing their undergraduate degree.

• Like 1

I got into Osgoode (firm acceptance) and Ottawa with a 3 year degree.

@pbb15 i got in last year with a 4 yr degree that i completed in three years, but I also worked for a couple of years after I graduated and before starting at Allard. That also means I applied with my fully completed the degree, so the 3 yr thing didn't matter much. I think they mostly care about how many credits you have, and will treat you as if you're in your last year, but definitely confirm with admissions (maybe once they're not dying reviewing applications). 

Also, some unsolicited advice - don't feel pressured to jump into law school straight away. If you're pushing through a 4-yr degree in three years, I imagine you're a hard worker (great), but also susceptible to burnout (not so great). I took the extra time to gain work experience, mend family relationships, and create a support network before entering Allard - this favoured me in my personal life and job hunt, and I don't think I would've made it through this year without taking that extra time. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'm always happy to chat ☺️