Helllooo12345

Fall 2021/Winter 2022 - is your school online, hybrid or in-person?

U of M said it will be online for Fall, with an expectation of returning to full in-person for Winter. 

They want to take the Fall semester as an opportunity to transition to in-person slowly. Only classes with 20 or less students will be in-person for Fall. So, basically everything is online for Fall 2021.

TRU said they are slated for full in person studies starting in the fall

8 hours ago, mikes77 said:

TRU said they are slated for full in person studies starting in the fall

Same with UVic, the Faculty of Law have confirmed they're following the rest of the school on this.

• Like 1

Queen's has said they're planning on being fully in-person. I'm tired of online classes but I don't think it's safe or realistic to plan for all years to return to in-person classes yet. I hope I'm wrong but I really don't see all students being fully vaccinated by September -- I have high-risk elderly relatives who aren't able to receive their second dose until the end of July/beginning of August. If the time between doses is four months and very few students are vaccinated yet, I'm not sure how anyone could expect all students to be vaccinated by September. 

Although one vaccine dose reduces transmission, it may not be enough for a safe return to in-person classes. St. Mary's hospital in Montreal has had a COVID outbreak among partially vaccinated staff. I can only imagine how much worse the outbreak would be in a law building filled with students who are excited to be back and sick of socially distancing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, rockclimbing said:

Queen's has said they're planning on being fully in-person. I'm tired of online classes but I don't think it's safe or realistic to plan for all years to return to in-person classes yet. I hope I'm wrong but I really don't see all students being fully vaccinated by September -- I have high-risk elderly relatives who aren't able to receive their second dose until the end of July/beginning of August. If the time between doses is four months and very few students are vaccinated yet, I'm not sure how anyone could expect all students to be vaccinated by September. 

Although one vaccine dose reduces transmission, it may not be enough for a safe return to in-person classes. St. Mary's hospital in Montreal has had a COVID outbreak among partially vaccinated staff. I can only imagine how much worse the outbreak would be in a law building filled with students who are excited to be back and sick of socially distancing.

That's one thing I'm worried about. Even if I magically get an appt tomorrow, I won't receive my second dose until late-August or early September. Also, I'm not even sure if you can get your second dose in a different jurisdiction from where you got your first, because as of right now I haven't been accepted to a school where I could commute daily. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, rockclimbing said:

9 minutes ago, sucheese said:

That's one thing I'm worried about. Even if I magically get an appt tomorrow, I won't receive my second dose until late-August or early September. Also, I'm not even sure if you can get your second dose in a different jurisdiction from where you got your first, because as of right now I haven't been accepted to a school where I could commute daily. 

So don’t attend in-person? IIRC every law school has said online options will be available this year. The post-vaccination fear mongering on display here is very strange. The fact is that Covid barely does anything to the vast majority of people it infects (particularly young people), and a single vaccination prevents serious illness and death from the disease entirely. You do realize we eventually have to return to normal, right? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

So don’t attend in-person? IIRC every law school has said online options will be available this year. The post-vaccination fear mongering on display here is very strange. The fact is that Covid barely does anything to the vast majority of people it infects (particularly young people), and a single vaccination prevents serious illness and death from the disease entirely. You do realize we eventually have to return to normal, right? 

IIRC Queen's has not yet said students will have the option to do classes online. I'm not fear mongering, I'm being realistic about the vaccine rollout timeline. I'm eager for things to return to normal and would like to be in-person but I think that law schools relying on students being fully vaccinated by September is naive. As I stated above, one vaccine dose reduces transmission, so I don't disagree with you on that. You do realize that if COVID "barely does anything" we wouldn't have been in a lockdown for the past year? 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, rockclimbing said:

law schools relying on students being fully vaccinated by September is naive.

I don’t think any school is relying on every student having 2 shots come september. 

As I stated above, one vaccine dose reduces transmission,

And as I stated above, one vaccine dose is sufficient to prevent serious illness or death, which is the goal, and is what all Canadians are slated to have received prior to September. 

You do realize that if COVID "barely does anything" we wouldn't have been in a lockdown for the past year? 

Dumb misrepresentation, albeit not a surprising one.

The fact of the matter is that one dose likely prevents transmission to a high degree while also protecting individuals almost entirely from an illness which already does practically nothing to the vast majority of people who get it. So yeah, you freaking out over one dose versus two doses and acting like schools are nuts for returning to in-person sounds like fear mongering to me. 

Edited by MountainMon

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

The fact is that Covid barely does anything to the vast majority of people it infects (particularly young people),

India and Brazil would like a word.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

I don’t think any school is relying on every student having 2 shots come september. 

And as I stated above, one vaccine dose is sufficient to prevent serious illness or death, which is the goal, and is what all Canadians are slated to have received prior to September. 

The fact of the matter is that one dose likely prevents transmission to a high degree while also protecting individuals almost entirely from an illness which already does practically nothing to the vast majority of people who get it. So yeah, you freaking out over one dose versus two doses and acting like schools are nuts for returning to in-person sounds like fear mongering to me. 

It sounds like you're eager to be in-person for your first year of law school and fearful that won't be the case, so this may only be fear mongering for you. Some law schools had only 1Ls in-person this year and I think that's totally safe but I don't think putting hundreds of students in a single law building by September is realistic. I'm not freaking out whatsoever. Anyway, I'm done with this thread I really don't care to argue with you.

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

An individual's concern over the ability of '(one) vaccine for everyone who wants one' to stop the threat of COVID (including its variants) in schools is not fear mongering. Expressed fear and fear mongering are not synonymous. A lot is still unknown, so please relax with berating your peer for feeling apprehensive. If it were so obvious that school will be safe in September then every university would have already announced in person classes.

Edited by LawBlaw2019
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

India and Brazil would like a word.

The prevalence of the disease in those countries does not change the fact that it does nothing to the vast majority of people it infects.

• Confused 4

6 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

The prevalence of the disease in those countries does not change the fact that it does nothing to the vast majority of people it infects.

If it didn't affect the vast majority of the population then there wouldn't be thousands of people dying in India right now....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

An individual's concern over the ability of '(one) vaccine for everyone who wants one' to stop the threat of COVID (including its variants) in schools is not fear mongering.

It is when you consider that all the evidence points to everyone being effectively immune to covid’s effects by mid-summer. 

32 minutes ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

A lot is still unknown, so please relax with berating your peer for feeling apprehensive.

if anyone considers what I’ve said here as “berating” I’d suggest they get some thicker skin. 

33 minutes ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

If it were so obvious that school will be safe in September then every university would have already announced in person classes.

That’s a very shakey argument.

8 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

Six hundred thousand dead and counting, but guess that doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

If it didn't affect the vast majority of the population then there wouldn't be thousands of people dying in India right now....

There would be actually. It’s a country with 1.3 billion people. 

I think the point that MountainMon was trying to get at, if perhaps a little inflammatorily, is that by September, everyone who wants a first shot will have had one and the vast, vast majority of people will also have had their second shot.

Considering that the first shot, by itself, reduces hospitalization/death to really low levels, combined with the majority of the population also having their second dose, the rationale for keeping things online and not in-person is simply not there. Even if COVID cases are still somewhat prevalent by then, that really doesn't matter considering that the only important metric is hospitalization/death.

If you'd like to continue the Covid discussion, take it to the Pandemic thread in the OT forum. It might be somewhat educational for some of you, given a few of the comments made here. 

• Like 4

Got an e-mail from the uOttawa Student Centre today: they clarified the "30-50 percent" of classes in-person will mean that only one class will be in person for most students, the rest being online.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 4