hopefullawstudent202

1L summer job: ADVICE

Keeping in mind that I want a corporate job next year, which one would be better for this summer: a policy job with the federal government, or a research/policy position in a think tank?

Either (they sound pretty similar to me). Which one are you more psyched about? And will have more responsibilities and cool stuff to do? You just gotta be able to speak about it with gusto and charisma, and relate it to why corporate law. 

• Like 1

IMO depends on the think tank. Some are very partisan (Broadbent, Fraser) while others are not (C.D Howe). If it’s one of the partisan ones I would probably go government, otherwise, it’s a toss up, but I would probably do the think tank. 

• Like 2

Matters far less than you would think either way - just do what you're interested in. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, albertabean said:

IMO depends on the think tank. Some are very partisan (Broadbent, Fraser) while others are not (C.D Howe). If it’s one of the partisan ones I would probably go government, otherwise, it’s a toss up, but I would probably do the think tank. 

This is the advice that matters. What do you want to do post law school? Which way does the think tank lean? 

Working for a partisan think tank doesn't always look the greatest even if applying to public sector jobs because you are supposed to be neutral. 

I would choose the government one personally. It will allow you to buy back your pension if you enter the public service after graduating - and you can network internally for advice on making your application more attractive for articling. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd take the policy job, especially if you'd like to strengthen your application for a corporate position next year.

Although not a business related job per se, it will likely expose you to a team-oriented and/or project-based environment that will allow you to present some transferable skills to potential employers in future recruits. 

But if you'd rather take the research position, it won't be a negative to your resume going forward. 

Edited by underrated
  • Like 1