sgs12

Articling Hireback 2021

Have any firms hired back yet, or told their articling class when to expect offers? I've heard that at least one big firm has gone out with offers, but not sure which one. 

2 hours ago, CorporateAlligator said:

Fasken your seatbelts - all current students are being hired back. 

Do you know if they're still offering the standard110K or if they mentioned anything about matching the recent pay bump from another firm?

15 hours ago, CTerror said:

Do you know if they're still offering the standard110K or if they mentioned anything about matching the recent pay bump from another firm?

I’m not sure! I only heard they were all hired back. 

Cassels today as well apparently. 

As someone graduating in (look at calendar) 3 week, I'm hopeful the "big law full hirebacks" trend can continue for at least another year. I chose one firm over 3 other offers and constantly hit by anxiety that they won't have positions to hire back and I'll have made the wrong choice...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DoWellAndGood said:

As someone graduating in (look at calendar) 3 week, I'm hopeful the "big law full hirebacks" trend can continue for at least another year. I chose one firm over 3 other offers and constantly hit by anxiety that they won't have positions to hire back and I'll have made the wrong choice...

I wouldn't worry so much. I know people who didn't get hired back at their firms and none of them had any issue lateralling into another big law firm or top tier boutique. You have summer and articling experience in a big firm setting which most law students wanting to do corporate law do not have and so should have no issues leveraging that experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DoWellAndGood said:

Just gonna underline what Deadpool said - you will be absolutely fine. The vast majority of associates at big law firms will get hired back. Somewhere between 90 and 100% this year (and probably next year too). Those that don't will land on their feet at a new shop very, very quickly. Some articling students treat hireback like the Sword of Damocles  - I would counsel against doing that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DoWellAndGood said:

I agree with Deadpool. I would just add that if a firm doesn't hire you back, they will often help you find another position.

• Thanks 1

make sure you post a linkedin status about being hired back. It's already happening

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hmyo said:

make sure you post a linkedin status about being hired back. It's already happening

Maybe I'm a hypocrite, since I think students posting about getting jobs before actually starting those jobs is silly, but I think posting about hireback is wholly appropriate

No one is looking at students' LinkedIn accounts. We creep your linkedin account when your name is on a letter addressed to us.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Maybe I'm a hypocrite, since I think students posting about getting jobs before actually starting those jobs is silly, but I think posting about hireback is wholly appropriate

I think both can be handled by updating your start date and position section when the event triggers. Real g's move in silence like lasagna 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Xanadu3 said:

Thought I would share some info here in the spirit of trying to illuminate things for people as hireback approaches at respective firms.  Goodmans is the only firm I am aware of that has not even communicated a day/timeline for when hireback decisions will be made (let alone whether groups do indeed have room for hiring).  The remainder of firms have communicated a hire back day.

That’s news to me!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Uoftitty said:

Goodmans has communicated a timeline, as has McCarthys. 

goodmans has not communicated a timeline to their students. Stop spreading misinformation 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, passthebar1994 said:

goodmans has not communicated a timeline to their students. Stop spreading misinformation 

They have. Inform yourself.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, passthebar1994 said:

2 minutes ago, Uoftitty said:

They have. Inform yourself.

Neither of your usernames strike confidence in me that either of you would know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13
  • Sad 1