GreysAnatomy

What are some good and bad condos in downtown Toronto?

3 minutes ago, quickcomments said:

Developers can get away with it because anything new is largely financed by out-of-country investors who will never step foot in the housing and will use it as a money store. I don't have the resources on hand but I've seen some statistic that really drive this point home. 

Like I said, I have a lot of opinions on all of this. I really cannot stand what the developers are doing in this city, outside of building terrible shoeboxes, i.e. sitting on permits endlessly until the prices rise and then turning them for a profit.

Oh I know. I saw a brand-new “two bedroom” on Jarvis somewhere that was like somebody had described what a unit should look like from memory to a person who had never seen one, and then that person built it. 

The living room couldn’t actually fit a couch AND a tv stand. The “second bedroom” might have accommodated a cot, and the “office nook” may not have been wide enough for more than an end table.

This corner unit had beautiful glass all around, yet the only entrance onto the wraparound balcony was... through the living room, in the best place to put a couch. 

• Like 2

We live in a 2 bedroom plus den, where neither the second bedroom nor the den has a window. Which is fine with a little baby as a nice dark place is perfect for sleeping all year round, but is probably not the solution for us long term. It's doubly weird because the den is actually on an exterior wall, they just didn't put any windows in. I'm sure there's a structural reason for it, but I'm also pretty sure they could have solved it for probably just a little more money when building.

This is why I need a skylight with a long mirrored tube!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

We live in a 2 bedroom plus den, where neither the second bedroom nor the den has a window. Which is fine with a little baby as a nice dark place is perfect for sleeping all year round, but is probably not the solution for us long term. It's doubly weird because the den is actually on an exterior wall, they just didn't put any windows in. I'm sure there's a structural reason for it, but I'm also pretty sure they could have solved it for probably just a little more money when building.

This is why I need a skylight with a long mirrored tube!

Was it listed as a 2 bed? I didn't think you could legal call it a bedroom without a window, though maybe that doesn't apply to condos given the "window" is not a fire exit anyway.

14 minutes ago, TKNumber3 said:

Was it listed as a 2 bed? I didn't think you could legal call it a bedroom without a window, though maybe that doesn't apply to condos given the "window" is not a fire exit anyway.

I had a file this year where the arbitrators were shocked to learn that "interior bedrooms" are essentially standard in new builds

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TKNumber3 said:

I don't think it applies to condos. So many 1 bedrooms don't have a window in condo buildings, there was a huge trend in the late 2000s early 2010s for doing this:

Bisha-Hotel-and-Residences-nikki-floorpl

condo%20bedroom%202.jpg

Note the only bedroom has sliding doors. Sometimes these are not glass and are opaque. 

The Ontario Building Code has exceptions listed that allows this to happen so long as it is an "acceptable building solution". Here is a ruling you can read that clears the issue up: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page11347.aspx

I've noticed in recent years builders try to shy away from this type of layout. I have my own opinions for why this is but I'll hold onto them. The new trend is to put it at the front of the unit like this:

5d4fb61c049c1bcb076a38fcbe38e419.jpg

Edited by quickcomments

1 minute ago, quickcomments said:

I don't think it applies to condos. So many 1 bedrooms don't have a window in condo buildings, there was a huge trend in the late 2000s early 2010s for doing this:

Bisha-Hotel-and-Residences-nikki-floorpl

condo%20bedroom%202.jpg

Note the only bedroom has sliding doors. Sometimes these are not glass and are opaque. 

The Ontario Building Code has exceptions listed that allows this to happen so long as it is an "acceptable building solution". Here is a ruling you can read that clears the issue up: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page11347.aspx

I've noticed in recent years builders try to shy away from this type of layout. I have my own opinions for why this is but I'll hold onto them.

Isn't that a loft? 

I know it's just "words", but I had assumed (likely incorrectly) it was based on the building code. My experience comes from house-hunting, where there's all kinds of worrying over "egress windows", so that likely explains my confusion (condos presumably have their own rules/exceptions). Your window on floor 28 only qualifies as "egress" in an adventure sport setting. 

Look into the rules about rent control (ie. the lack of) if considering a brand new rental building. There have been a few stories about tenants getting screwed by this.

Just now, TKNumber3 said:

Isn't that a loft? 

I know it's just "words", but I had assumed (likely incorrectly) it was based on the building code. My experience comes from house-hunting, where there's all kinds of worrying over "egress windows", so that likely explains my confusion (condos presumably have their own rules/exceptions). Your window on floor 28 only qualifies as "egress" in an adventure sport setting. 

It is allowed as an alternative solution (because yeah, condo windows only serve the purpose of providing light) as the sliding glass doors are frequently able to filter enough natural light into the bedroom "borrowed" from the room in the unit (read the rulings). 

I've seen owners replace the glass/frosted glass doors with opaque doors and still list them as bedrooms as well, likely aren't aware of what a bedroom really is. 

The city reviews all plans to ensure code compliance and compliance with the above classification of interior bedrooms. The "borrowing" definition has been stretched so thin in my opinion. Also the definition of "den" (a jut in a wall that can fit a 100cm desk) has been stretched pretty thin as well.

• Like 1

I think that's what scares me most about buying property. I just have zero faith in developers and builders.

So I'd rather buy an older (non condo) that's maintained a great reputation and pay a bit extra in maintenance fees. You also tend to get less of a douchy crowd, and typically no airbnbs.

Of course I'd rather buy freehold but that dream has passed me. Maybe if I ever move out to the sticks.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Of course I'd rather buy freehold but that dream has passed me. Maybe if I ever move out to the sticks.

Freehold is a dream provided you have neighbours who care about maintenance. For all the crap I talk about condos and condo boards (and my opinion on them is well established) it is really nice to get a certain level of guaranteed upkeep, provided you're in a decent one. 

Yeah, we have the sliding door thing. It opens up to the kitchen and dining room, but my apartment is so big (ahem!) that there's very little actual daylight back there to come in through the sliding doors. That's why I need the mirrored tube!

The den is a proper room, maybe 9X8. Right now it's the baby's nursery but it will make a nice cozy office once he moves into the bedroom (which will then need new doors, as the sliding ones provide almost no sound-proofing).

• Haha 1