Terracycle

Are classes officially or tentatively online?

Tentatively. As far as I'm aware, faculty has been asked whether they're prepared to teach online next year if it is available to do so. My understanding is no firm decision has been made regarding the Fall or Winter semesters. I expect Osgoode will at the very least make a decision regarding the Fall term sometime June/July. 

• Thanks 1

From what I've heard from my profs at Schulich (MBA), Schulich has told them that the plan is to teach online for the upcoming school year. I suspect that Osgoode will likely do the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I'm just finishing up my undergrad at York and a professor of mine said that they might bring back small classes of 25 students or less but nothing bigger than that. So I don't think that 1L classes will be back in person since they're more like 60 students from my understanding. Maybe the winter semester? I guess we just have to wait and see. 

Edited by itsjustme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the recent Osgoode Q&A sessions they've stressed that there will be no compulsory in-person classes in the fall, but that they will endeavour to provide as many opportunities for in-person events (networking or otherwise) as possible. You'll note that they didn't come out and say that it will be 100% online.

If I had to guess I'd say that Osgoode, along with most schools, will wind up going with some sort of hybrid model with some classes online and some in person, and with allowances for students to opt out of in-person classes if necessary. 

That's speculation on my part though and, as we've all undoubtedly learned over the past 12+ months, things can change on a dime depending on the current COVID situation. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what impact this will have in terms of housing applications for Osgoode chambers. I'm not too sure what the timeline will be for having to "lock-in" housing versus when we will know what the format of courses will be in the fall. But in the event that we find out classes are online after the deadline to confirm a housing assignment from the university would there be an opportunity to opt out?

17 minutes ago, pshmbnz said:

Does anyone know what impact this will have in terms of housing applications for Osgoode chambers. I'm not too sure what the timeline will be for having to "lock-in" housing versus when we will know what the format of courses will be in the fall. But in the event that we find out classes are online after the deadline to confirm a housing assignment from the university would there be an opportunity to opt out?

There’s no leases in Osgoode Chambers so you can leave whenever you want, minus two months notice. I imagine they’ll give us a firm answer about the format of classes in July, and you could always decline whatever option you got from Chambers if it ends up being all online at that point in time :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pshmbnz said:

Housing offers went out in mid July last year I believe, while Osgoode confirmed classes for Fall 2020 would be online in June, so yeah you would have had a month prior to signing. 

That said, I received an email from housing today indicating they ran out of 1 bedrooms in Osgoode Chambers / Passy and asking if I'd be okay with a bachelor, so it seems the demand for housing this year may be higher. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pshmbnz said:

Definitely apply for housing. It's month to month leasing so you can leave at any time. Better to get a spot and leave later than to not have one to begin with. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Turtles said:

Housing offers went out in mid July last year I believe, while Osgoode confirmed classes for Fall 2020 would be online in June, so yeah you would have had a month prior to signing. 

That said, I received an email from housing today indicating they ran out of 1 bedrooms in Osgoode Chambers / Passy and asking if I'd be okay with a bachelor, so it seems the demand for housing this year may be higher. 

They've already run out of 1 bedrooms? Damn, guess us incoming 1Ls are going to be shit out of luck then.

4 minutes ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

They've already run out of 1 bedrooms? Damn, guess us incoming 1Ls are going to be shit out of luck then.

I wouldn't stress about it. There really isn't much of a benefit living at Passy when most, if not all, your classes are online. From my own experience, it can get really dull really fast. 

1 minute ago, Astro said:

I wouldn't stress about it. There really isn't much of a benefit living at Passy when most, if not all, your classes are online. From my own experience, it can get really dull really fast. 

Main reason I was still hoping to do so is because it would be a lot cheaper than my current apartment. Not the end of the world if I don't get a spot, but would be nice.