AJD19

Tuition Increase

6 minutes ago, maybemaybe said:

maybe UCP might get voted out in 2023, I certainly hope so. They made promises for a better economy and more affordable living. If anything, its gone completely opposite. I hate how they're screwing over university students, many of whom are broke and are already facing shaky job prospects. 

Alberta has been mismanaged for decades, you can hope all you want, but these are features not bugs in Alberta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trashpanda said:

Ministry spokeswoman Taylor Hides said in a statement extraordinary tuition increases are only allowed if the new tuition revenue makes “tangible improvements” to the quality of the program.

Oh boy, can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

you guys should protest. march. organize. write to the minister of advanced education. cause a stink lol this is unacceptable.

3 hours ago, legaldreams said:

you guys should protest. march. organize. write to the minister of advanced education. cause a stink lol this is unacceptable.

Ain't nobody got time for that during final exams.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, flyingfish said:

Ain't nobody got time for that during final exams.

Presumably, all of you aren't coming straight from undergrad, so maybe those who are not in finals seasons could do that. But writing an email to the minister of advanced education (who would have to approve this hike since it's over 7%) would take 3 minutes. His email is [email protected] Or you could write to the faculty's email. This is seriously a crazy increase and will keep more disadvantaged students out of law. The cheapness of tuition was the main reason I was considering UofA so I feel like they're losing a major draw. If you guys can make your voices heard and save yourself thousands of dollars, you'll not only be benefitting your future financial situations but also society as a whole.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, legaldreams said:

Presumably, all of you aren't coming straight from undergrad, so maybe those who are not in finals seasons could do that. But writing an email to the minister of advanced education (who would have to approve this hike since it's over 7%) would take 3 minutes. His email is [email protected] Or you could write to the faculty's email. This is seriously a crazy increase and will keep more disadvantaged students out of law. The cheapness of tuition was the main reason I was considering UofA so I feel like they're losing a major draw. If you guys can make your voices heard and save yourself thousands of dollars, you'll not only be benefitting your future financial situations but also society as a whole.

Just bring it up every time there's a U of A/U of C debate.. get em where it hurts. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

At risk of sounding like a huge dick, there are some fundamental flaws with the argument against the tuition increase. For one, although its current tuition is a nice perk and I've mentioned how appreciative of that I am, some people want to attend UofA because they like the program. I assure you that if you wrote "I want to go here because it's cheap" on your personal statement, you would not be admitted. Two, as I mentioned in another comment, affordability is a huge problem, but that can't be made the burden of one single school. Action to address the cost of professional programs needs to hit the root of the problem nationwide. Three, they are facing a massive budget cut and, presumably, have few or no other options to make up for the deficit. The end result of not increasing tuition would probably be damaging to their law program. 

Perhaps there are better ways to distribute the increase, or perhaps the amount should be negotiated. I can't speak to those factors. But telling them to maintain tuition that, when considering inflation, costs less than it did a decade ago isn't going to work.

Edited by Liavas
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)

I have been lurking on this website since I was accepted and I am very glad for everyone's information! I'll see y'all next year!

I was shocked to see the proposed increase but after seeing both sides I do understand the desire for the University to "catch up" with the other schools who are quite a bit more expensive than they are. We will see how well they put these funds to use!

Thanks again for everyone's analysis of the situation!

Edited by Conner
  • Like 2