Hey everyone!

I've been accepted to both schools. I have spoken to alumni and current students at both schools, but I am still torn on which one I should attend. So, I thought I would make a post to see if others have any opinions on the schools. For a little background info, I am from/live in Saskatchewan (live two hours away from Saskatoon). However, I want/plan on practicing in and living in BC after school. I am also leaning towards dealing with Indigenous law after school, but of course, I am really open to anything.

TRU

Pros: 

-General rule of thumb is to go to school where you want to practice, which for me is BC. So, easier to network.

-Lots of articling placements in BC (however, seems like most students get placements in Vancouver, which does not appeal to me much. I would love to work/live on the island or in interior BC).

-Quality of life: I am a huge outdoorsy person. Love to hike, ski and bike. 

-Very collegial and friendly (from looking at forums and talking to people)

-Chance to move away from Sask and start fresh.

Cons:

-Cost: Tuition is around 5k more a year than UofSask

UofSask

Pros: 

-Friends and family live in Sask/Close to home (Also personally know people who are attending UofSask Law and alumni from the program)

-I have heard that UofSask has an awesome Indigenous Law Program

-Costs: Cheaper tuition than TRU, and cost of living is slightly lower

Cons:

-Might be hard to network/get an articling position in BC (However, I have heard some UofSask peeps getting some articling positions in BC)

-Living in boring Saskatchewan for another 3 years blah

Any info/help is appreciated!

Thanks ! :)

Posted (edited)

$5k/year is nothing to sneeze at, you could do a lot with that money. But in your case it seems like you'd be getting so much more both professionally and personally by going to TRU, and that is totally worth a recoverable amount of debt imo. If your goal is to work in BC you'd likely spend a few thousand travelling there for opportunities anyway. 

For me a big consideration for where I applied was to stay close to my parents because they're getting older. So I guess it also depends how much you care about being near your friends/family. But obviously only you can answer that. 

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 1

Doesn't sound like you're torn to me. If you are looking for someone to tell you what you are wanting to hear - go to TRU.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As someone who is personally biased toward USask, I think TRU sounds like the better school for you. Like another user commented, some of the extra debt of TRU tuition would be eaten up commuting to BC to network, and the rest is probably worth the advantages of going to school in the province where you want to work.

Edited by Chazz
  • Like 1

I agree with what everyone else is saying, I just wanted to clarify this:

On 4/5/2021 at 10:36 AM, Christ4444 said:

Lots of articling placements in BC (however, seems like most students get placements in Vancouver, which does not appeal to me much. I would love to work/live on the island or in interior BC).

The reason it seems like most students work in Vancouver is because most TRU law students are from Vancouver and go home after graduating. You can work anywhere in BC that you want to with a TRU degree.

Firms from the interior specifically recruit from TRU because that's what the law school was established for (to boost the number of lawyers in the interior). Also, all of my classmates who wanted to work on the island found a job on the island.