Sign in to follow this  
sportsball

Pass/Failing a course

I am hoping someone can let me know how employers will view me pass/failing a course this semester. Windsor is letting everyone pick one course this semester to pass/fail and I would like to do so to keep my average up for class rankings. I got a few in-firms through the OCI process, but no interviews anywhere since then. My main concern is that I would like a high ranking to help with the articling recruit since I don't have a summer job. Right now my average is pretty high: 75 (Indigenous Legal Orders, my only grade from first year since everything else got moved to mandatory p/f),90,86,86,82,84, overall 84 with credit weightings. I am pretty sure I can keep my average up, but just based on how averages work, I will likely have at least one class below an 83. If I p/f whatever my lowest grade is it will keep my average up, but I'm worried that when an employer looks at my transcript it will look like I bombed the class. 

Right now I am thinking I would p/f Legal Profession. I have my first 3 exams 3 days in a row, followed by legal profession a few days later. I'm not even going to look at that class until after the other exams so I suspect I will end up with a B, which would bring down my average. Would it look bad on my transcript to not have a grade in that class in particular, given that it's a course about ethics?

12 minutes ago, sportsball said:

If I p/f whatever my lowest grade is it will keep my average up, but I'm worried that when an employer looks at my transcript it will look like I bombed the class. 

It will. I wouldnt p/f anything above a 70.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't. I think it is easy to infer what your grade might have been based on the fact that you have nothing worse than say a B+ on your transcript. In that case, anyone would see through the P/F notation and even worse, may think that you got a mark bellow a B. At the end of the day, having a "perfect" transcript will only matter if other parts of your applications are not as "perfect." Judging by the fact that you got OCIs/in-firms, you are probably on the right track anyways!

Edited by livingforthelife

On 4/1/2021 at 7:10 AM, livingforthelife said:

I wouldn't. I think it is easy to infer what your grade might have been based on the fact that you have nothing worse than say a B+ on your transcript. In that case, anyone would see through the P/F notation and even worse, may think that you got a mark bellow a B. At the end of the day, having a "perfect" transcript will only matter if other parts of your applications are not as "perfect." Judging by the fact that you got OCIs/in-firms, you are probably on the right track anyways!

This was the common census at my school, where pass/ fail was an option. However, the newer consensus is that firms organize applications by GPA before they look at your individual grades. I wish I passed my B's last year, it would have been a free way to improve my GPA and I doubt firms really start making assumptions about what those P's may have been. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:50 AM, chaboywb said:

It will. I wouldnt p/f anything above a 70.

Curious how having a course that was graded pass/fail will affect this? One of my courses was p/f this year and all my other ones were graded, how am I supposed to avoid negative inferences when I didn't have the choice how the class was graded? Lol

13 hours ago, tommygun said:

Curious how having a course that was graded pass/fail will affect this? One of my courses was p/f this year and all my other ones were graded, how am I supposed to avoid negative inferences when I didn't have the choice how the class was graded? Lol

It probably depends on the class that was graded P/F. I had a lot of P/F classes on my transcript bc I participated in law review, internships, etc. and no one seemed to care that there was no letter grade. If anything, they were excited about those experiences.