samii

Where do I stand? Confused about Dal admissions

My mental health is at an all time low and I keep obsessing over whether I'm competitive or not competitive and whether I should keep my hopes up or move on.

I have a 3.83/4.3 L2, 164 LSAT - putting me at an index score of 82.8. This means I have a chance, right? (I'm OOP and cGPA is 2.7, in case that changes things :) but ignoring my cGPA [since they apparently take the higher number], I believe individuals with lower index scores have already been admitted this cycle.)

But after worrying over how late in the cycle it is, the incredibly slow rollout of responses, and the whole interview component - I can't tell where I stand. Around this time in previous years, Dal has released rejections, and in the next month, interview offers. I initially thought interview offers were only for applicants who didn't apply 'regular,' but then wouldn't that mean all the index admits would have been automatically accepted by now? As in, they wouldn't reject those who are above their index, right? After viewing past threads and seeing remarkably competitive stats, I'm not so sure...

Does Dal actually look at each applicant holistically, even in the regular category? Do they simply accept index admits till they fill their seats on a rolling basis, rejecting those who might be within their stat range but applied too late? Are interviews just for those outside of regular category, or for anyone of those competitive late appliers too? Is my worry justified?

I applied by Dec 10th, for context - which I don't think is that late, considering their application was open till Feb. I need to get this out of my system so I'm opening up my speculations and questions to anyone else on this forum who might have similar ones or - hopefully - some answers. 

Posted (edited)

IMO, you’ll be in, it’s just a matter of time. I’m not sure and I don’t want to speculate, but perhaps the reason why they’ve kept you waiting is that while they may take L2, they index initially by cGPA. It takes awhile to get to everyone’s file and calculate L2 (but hard to say it would take this long). 
just remember, sometimes no news is good news. I am sure you will be offered admissions soon, your LSAT and L2 is competitive, as your index proves. I think Nov 30 was last day for earlier admissions as well, if that means anything. Also, I know it’s hard but try not compare yourself to last cycles timeline especially. They were at least a month behind from the initial release of acceptances and that’s expected with COVID. Hang tight!! 

edit: yesterday was deadline to accept for most so there will certainly be more seats to fill - I would estimate a wave will come soon 

Edited by lawlizard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If this makes you feel any better, we have very similar stats, and I'm in the same exact boat as you. Only difference is my GPA is 3.7. I'm kind of banking on the acceptance deadline that was yesterday and a second wave of admissions to come out - there's still hope!

I'm also curious about the interview situation though. For some reason I'd told myself no interviews were happening at all this year - but that could be something I made up in my head. 

Anyways, fingers crossed they do a wave of admissions next week and we hear something 😀

• Like 1

@lawlizard

Thank you for your response - I really appreciate it. I know I'm probably being irrational but it's just so hard to stop dwelling and focusing on this. You're right - the pandemic is probably affecting their rollout and I need to convince myself of that!

@LegalZeke

I hope we both hear back soon! 

The whole interview possibility is something I am not looking forward to. It's nerve-wracking enough waiting for months with no end in sight.  I wish the whole process was more regulated so there wouldn't be so many uncertainties. 

I believe last year they did interviews by phone so it might still happen, but maybe things will be different this cycle? 

In my opinion, your stats are pretty strong. Take my speculation with a grain of salt, but it seems like there's a trend toward applicants with good L2s but low cGPAs still waiting to hear back. (Not saying that some other people with a low cGPA haven't gotten in already.) Dal has rejected people with decent stats before but from what I've seen, none as high as yours. I have faith you'll get in - hopefully in the next offers they trickle out after the holiday! 

• Thanks 1

@Liavas

I noticed that quite a few universities that previously accepted lower cGPAs (Ry, Windsor, Ottawa, etc.) have been a lot more selective this cycle. Hopefully it's just a matter of waiting rather than a straight out rejection.

Thank you for your words...The more time passes, the more I doubt myself and dwell over this. I'm sure a lot of applicants are feeling this right now and it really helps to have the reassurance. :) 

19 hours ago, samii said:

@Liavas

I noticed that quite a few universities that previously accepted lower cGPAs (Ry, Windsor, Ottawa, etc.) have been a lot more selective this cycle. Hopefully it's just a matter of waiting rather than a straight out rejection.

Thank you for your words...The more time passes, the more I doubt myself and dwell over this. I'm sure a lot of applicants are feeling this right now and it really helps to have the reassurance. :) 

Not sure if it helps, I applied in October and have an L2 of 4.07/4.33 and am still waiting to hear anything from Dal. My LSAT is lower (158) so I was attributing it to that. My cGPA is ~3.6

• Like 1