seallover

Will you be accepting or declining your offer? Why?

Posted (edited)

Completely ripped off from U of C ūü•≤ (lol I'm the OP anyways)

We have finally reached the March 31st deadline. Whoopity-scoop!

After seeing how well Calgary responded, definitely think it would be insightful on what reasons people chose UAlberta to be their law school. Whether it be your undergrad uni, waiting on your other acceptances, to best opportunities for your future goals and etc. I'm wondering if anyone is kind enough to share of their choices and what inclines them to go here or not. 

Thanks in advance for any input :) and for dealing with my possibly annoying posts. Good luck for those waiting for the second round, we're almost there!!

Edited by seallover
  • Thanks 1

In the (evermore unlikely event) that I got an offer I would accept it. I've almost written off u of a though purely because it doesn't look like it's going to happen this cycle for me.... *Insert price is right losing horn here* 

• Sad 1

It was never law school or die for me so I only applied to a couple of law schools and I mainly debated between the U of A offer and pursuing other graduate degree/career options. I ended up accepting mainly because:

1. The cycle was mentally exhaustive and I'd rather not go through it again (especially if I have to re-write the LSAT). 

2. I wasn't exactly thrilled by the other options.  

As for why U of A as a law school, it mostly came down to tuition cost and my desire to live in another province for a change. NGL U of A didn't exactly make me excited about them with how this admission cycle went (I've voiced this in other threads as well). However,  there's ultimately nothing to suggest that I won't be getting a good legal education here and that's all that's going to matter in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I accepted my offer at UofA but still waiting to hear back from UofC. I chose UofA for a couple different reasons- my partner will be moving back to¬†Calgary (we‚Äôre currently both on the east coast) and I plan on practicing in Calgary (hopefully). I also just wanted a change of scenery and the faculty and students all seemed so nice at the Dean‚Äôs Welcome and the LSA night. ūüėä

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Being a student here is also more affordable here than any other city I've lived in. 

Edited by toastedguac
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I accepted. Mainly because it was the cheapest option.

I don't mean to say I don't think U of A will be a good law program. That's the thing: all three of the schools I applied to seemed of equally strong calibre. So I figured I may as well get it for the cheapest price tag and minimize debt. I didn't really have a strong preference for any particular city, since I had personal connections to all three of the cities where the schools I applied to were located, so the "go to school where you want to work" advice didn't apply as much.

Edited by Chazz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I declined because I’m a native Edmontonian and wanted a change of scenery (accepted UVic). Also, I would like to practice in BC, so it didn’t make sense to move to stay in YEG. Mostly though, it was just to get out and explore a little bit, especially because I can always come back :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sadisticsad said:

I declined because I’m a native Edmontonian and wanted a change of scenery (accepted UVic). Also, I would like to practice in BC, so it didn’t make sense to move to stay in YEG. Mostly though, it was just to get out and explore a little bit, especially because I can always come back :).

Great choice. Plus UVIC is even cheaper for a better city/campus. 

Edited by AJD19
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I declined because attending the Dean's Welcome and the LSS session didn't really hype me up to attend U of A. I also had a gut feeling that this might not be the best place for me. However, I know that U of A is a great law school academically, has amazing opportunities, and I also spoke to students who do not regret their decision. But I didn't feel the same way. And this is a totally fair way to make a decision. Choose where you know you will be excited to attend law school and will have the best three years of your life. Make the investment that is going to provide high returns personally and professionally. :)

Edited by legallybound
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, legallybound said:

I declined because attending the Dean's Welcome and the LSS session didn't really hype me up to attend U of A. I also had a gut feeling that this might not be the best place for me. However, I know that U of A is a great law school academically, has amazing opportunities, and I also spoke to students who do not regret their decision. But I didn't feel the same way. And this is a totally fair way to make a decision. Choose where you know you will be excited to attend law school and will have the best three years of your life. Make the investment that is going to provide high returns personally and professionally. :)

Yeah, the LSS session in particular kinda turned me off. Especially the bit about being "voluntold" to do the drag show if you're on the hockey or rugby teams. It's great if people want to do that, but it's not good to pressure people into doing things they might not be comfortable with.

Edited by Chazz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I accepted for several different reasons. 

1. This may be an unpopular opinion judging from some other comments that I've seen, but I felt like the Dean's welcome was genuine and I liked that faculty really focused on how they were going to support incoming students. I'm just finishing my undergrad at a university in BC that is all about preaching how great they are as a school, so it was refreshing to hear a school talk about catering to students versus basically telling incoming students how blessed they were to be accepted.

2. UofA was always my top choice when compared to other schools that I applied to. I do eventually want to move back to BC and practice here but when balancing things like cost, location, educational aims, and politics, UofA appealed to me the most. Also I like Edmonton, and it will be a good change of scenery. 

3. This is purely petty reasoning but I appreciate that the admissions process wasn't dreadful (aside from the LSAT changes). Documents were acknowledged within a week, whereas some other schools have taken months to even add document to profiles or to process things.

4. Timing. I haven't heard back from 3/4 schools that I applied to, so accepting and shelling out the deposit was kind of my only safe bet.

Edit: I spoke too soon on that last bit and just got accepted to my second choice. Safe to say I'll still be sticking with UofA though for all of the above reasons.

Edited by maranta
it is April fools and I am the fool
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AJD19 said:

Great choice. Plus UVIC is even cheaper for a better city/campus. 

Thank you!! I'm stoked honestly. Don't get me wrong, I love Edmonton and it'll always be home, but I kind of want to get out of here for a bit!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, maranta said:

I accepted for several different reasons. 

1. This may be an unpopular opinion judging from some other comments that I've seen, but I felt like the Dean's welcome was genuine and I liked that faculty really focused on how they were going to support incoming students. I'm just finishing my undergrad at a university in BC that is all about preaching how great they are as a school, so it was refreshing to hear a school talk about catering to students versus basically telling incoming students how blessed they were to be accepted.

I felt like the LSA talk was way more helpful than hearing the faculty talk about the program. Heard a lot about the clubs, how to meet people, and the culture of the school from the mouths of the students. That's not to say that I didn't like the Dean's welcome. Also Courtney's probably the nicest outreach person from any law school I've applied to this cycle, all the other ones just give diplomatic responses but she usually adds as much information as she can in every email. 

Edited by toastedguac
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, toastedguac said:

I felt like the LSA talk was way more helpful than hearing the faculty talk about the program. Heard a lot about the clubs, how to meet people, and the culture of the school from the mouths of the students. That's not to say that I didn't like the Dean's welcome. Also Courtney's probably the nicest outreach person from any law school I've applied to this cycle, all the other ones just give diplomatic responses but she usually adds as much information as she can in every email. 

I thought the upper years provided valuable insights as well, but I cringed a bit when they talked up the 'collegiality' of the culture. I've worked in an environment that basically preached the same thing and I can tell you the line between 'family environment' and semi-forced conformity/uniformity/cliquey culture is pretty thin.

40 minutes ago, samii said:

@toastedguac

Is there a recording or link to the LSA? Would love to watch it

If you use g-mail, check your 'promotions' inbox. Courtney sent them out last week.

Edited by dalpaengi
got the date wrong
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dalpaengi said:

I thought the upper years provided valuable insights as well, but I cringed a bit when they talked up the 'collegiality' of the culture. I've worked in an environment that basically preached the same thing and I can tell you the line between 'family environment' and semi-forced conformity/uniformity/cliquey culture is pretty thin.

Ehhh, I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on that claim. From my limited experience with student groups at other schools, UofA might actually be more relaxed and collegial, and this contrast is sort of noticeable in student groups when compared to some other universities. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toastedguac said:

Ehhh, I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on that claim. From my limited experience with student groups at other schools, UofA might actually be more relaxed and collegial, and this contrast is sort of noticeable in student groups when compared to some other universities. 

Depends on the year you get. One student group can differ drastically from the next.

The culture of a school depends on the cohorts you get grouped with, resources availiable, and the staff/professor's attitudes toward student success and collaboration.

I would attribute the collegiality/environment more to the Dean down to the Professors down to the Support Staff and finally down to the Students. From what I saw at the welcome, Dean Billingsworth and the faculty seem very relaxed and kept emphasizing "you are not a number to us". This, in my opinion is huge and a great indicator of staff who would back a collegial/student success culture.

I was actually kind of taken a back at how relaxed everything was. It's nice to have that little elitism in play, we are all going to be lawyers afterall.

• Like 3

With less than a week until the deadline for tuition deposits, I was thinking maybe we could revive this thread and see who has accepted/declined or who is still undecided on their acceptance. Might be helpful for those sitting on the waitlist, myself included.¬†ūüėÄ

30 minutes ago, PeanutLawyer said:

With less than a week until the deadline for tuition deposits, I was thinking maybe we could revive this thread and see who has accepted/declined or who is still undecided on their acceptance. Might be helpful for those sitting on the waitlist, myself included.¬†ūüėÄ

I have accepted which would probably be a surprise to no one who has viewed my comments here ha. Something that may slightly help you though is that the Facebook group still only has 152 members and I think at least 4 of those are upper years. They plan for 180 students although sometimes it is slightly over. I was also provided the deadline of May 7th so you should see some movement next week.

To answer the original question of this thread - why UAlberta? Primarily because I cannot move right now and the current tuition is a factor. However, I fully plan to leave the province in the years after I graduate.

• Like 2