Ontario

Incoming 1Ls, will u be living alone or with roommates?

Incoming 1Ls, will u be living alone or with roommates?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be living alone or with roomates?

• I enjoy the peace and quiet of solitude, so I will be living alone
    • I want to make friends so I will be living with roommates

I definitely think that you can have success with finding the right roommates but personally I just don’t want to take that risk. Also regarding libraries being open, it doesn’t really matter for me because I’m more so  worried about the mental health effects of living with someone who is just not a good fit. I want to work in more low income areas of law, so it’s probably not the smartest financial move, but it’s a priority for me to ensure that my living situation won’t be a negative or harmful one. 

• Like 3

I'm also struggling with this. I lived with 5 people in undergrad & that just got so tiring BUT I'm moving to Alberta for school & I'm worried about the mental health effects of living alone and getting lonely (which I became very familiar with during the lockdowns 🙃) when I don't know anyone there. How are the people who want roommates finding them?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SIN3D said:

I'm also struggling with this. I lived with 5 people in undergrad & that just got so tiring BUT I'm moving to Alberta for school & I'm worried about the mental health effects of living alone and getting lonely (which I became very familiar with during the lockdowns 🙃) when I don't know anyone there. How are the people who want roommates finding them?

Check out your class’s Facebook page! Lots of people are looking for roomies 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Seekingredemption said:

Are we assuming libraries aren’t going to be open all year? 

A library won't unclog a rando's hair from my bathtub. I think everyone has different priorities and limits and the reason this thread is so anti-roommate is that it's a popular limit for very good reason. That being said, there's nothing wrong with having a roommate, it's probably the best way to save money, and some people would much rather do that and limit debt or spend the extra money on travelling or whatever. I'll forever prefer to eat oatmeal and take a staycation than share my house with someone I don't love. 

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Dependent on where I accept, I will most likely have roommates. 

I like having the lease under my name and renting the room to someone else. That way I have control. I am also very good at screening for roommates, and have learned to quickly address any issues that come up, and if not resolved, ask the roommate to move out. 

Unusually, I have three former roommates who I get on well with in the City of the school I have been accepted. Living with them, I would be okay not being the leaseholder and paying them rent. They are quiet, and of the same maturity plus cleanliness levels. 

It just doesn't make financial sense for me to live on my own in a high cost of living City if it is a large enough place. Having roommates will give me a little bit extra wiggle room in my finances and allow me to travel during breaks. A plus if the room is already furnished and I save thousands on not having to furnish a place in a City that I have no plans on living in long term. 

Edit: I also get lonely being by myself for long periods of time. It is nice to know that someone is around even if we don't see each other much. Right now I work from home but my roommates and I are like passing ships in the night. I am in my room working, and they are out of the home working. It is great and we might see each other for 5 minutes at night. 

Edited by OyVey

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

A library won't unclog a rando's hair from my bathtub. I think everyone has different priorities and limits and the reason this thread is so anti-roommate is that it's a popular limit for very good reason. That being said, there's nothing wrong with having a roommate, it's probably the best way to save money, and some people would much rather do that and limit debt or spend the extra money on travelling or whatever. I'll forever prefer to eat oatmeal and take a staycation than share my house with someone I don't love. 

Oh for sure. My point about the libraries was just that if they’re open they seem to solve one of the main concerns here: having a quiet place to study. 

I spent plenty of time there in undergrad when I needed to get away from people so I don’t see why I couldn’t do the same. 

Just trying to provide some counter points here for people’s consideration. 

Edited by Seekingredemption
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seekingredemption said:

Oh for sure. My point about the libraries was just that if they’re open they seem to solve one of the main concerns here: having a quiet place to study. 

It's interesting that having a quiet place to study is a concern - but I think that it also speaks to age. I am older, and the roommates I have had are not noisy at all, do not play music loudly, are considerate, etc. This is the complete opposite of the roommate I had when I was 21. (Though just because someone is older does not mean that they won't also be complete dicks and not know how to function in a shared household).

I would have a hard time living with a 21 year old and at minimum try to have roommates that are 26. 

I think the advice I'd give for this is the same I'd give if asked about working in 1L. Unless it is absolutely necessary financially, don't do it. Wait until after 1L when you've met some people and are able to determine who might be a good roommate. Then you can look for a place together and save $$.

• Like 5

I spent the extra money on a one bedroom apartment and IMO it has been worth it. 1L grades are probably the most important (this varies with what career path you choose) so make sure you can focus. I'm also a clean freak so that factored largely in my decision. Walking around in just boxers without judgement is also quite nice. 

For those who did end up living with roommates in 1L how did you go about finding and vetting these people. Obviously you'd never be able to be 100% sure but was there a way that you went about vibing them out to ensure there weren't any red flags. I know a lot of people seem to be against roommates but in my cause I think rewards outweigh the risks (I may regret saying this). For context I'll be studying in Toronto so the price difference between say a 1 bedroom and a 3 bedroom would be pretty significant. Also from my experience of moving out to Ottawa for Undergrad I know that having roommates in first year was instrumental. 

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I think the issue with noise can't be fully solved by the library. For studying, sure but for example, one thing I have experienced and would be concerned with happening again is roommates bringing friends over the night before I have an exam. Or being loud when I'm trying to sleep. At the end of the day, it just seems much easier to spend the extra money. 

23 hours ago, Seekingredemption said:

Well this thread is very anti-roomate. Are we assuming libraries aren’t going to be open all year? 

I decided to go with 2 roommates because of cost considerations. One’s a 1L and the other is in grad school. I think if you find some mature, serious students that the risk isn’t excessive. 

did these people come ur friends and do u guys hang out outside of the apartment? 

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses! I think I will go ahead with my plan of living alone. I had the realization the other day that law school is a new experience for all of us, so I am sure everyone is more than willing to make friends and be open to hang out with each other:) 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:15 PM, REDDSTAR said:

for those living alone for first yr.....how will u be paying? w line of credit? whats ur price range? getting ur own apt to urself?

Im curious cuz im debating living alone vs getting a roommate for first yr as well

I am definitely going to use a line of credit and government loans!! 

Just now, gingerandtonic said:

I will be living with my spouse. 

Well now, no need to brag.

• Haha 10

54 minutes ago, Ontario said:

did these people come ur friends and do u guys hang out outside of the apartment? 

Oh sorry if I wasn't clear! I'm an incoming 1L at Ottawa.

One is a friend of a friend and the other is their current roommate. I had a couple of discussions with them to get to know them and to assess whether we'd be a good fit for one another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toby1994 said:

Well now, no need to brag.

I really pity them having to deal with me and school again tbh. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gingerandtonic said:

I will be living with my spouse. 

I was originally going to post that I would be living with a ton of roommates. And the worst kind - they make a lot of noise, interrupt constantly with demands, leave messes everywhere and are generally just obnoxious.

Then I figured it wasn't nice to talk about my kids that way :P 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6