law156

Masters or Law School

Hi everyone,

I graduated from university with a four degree (20 credits) and did not perform well in terms of grade. I went back to university for a GPA upgrade for about 2.5 years-13 full time credits in total. I graduated with a 3.7 CGPA. Although taking this path was a long road, I am glad that I went back to improve my grades since it will open doors for me to higher education. I have been working for about 1 year since then. Now my concern is: when I take the cumulative average of my CGPA-It’s 2.85 (under 3.0).  But my L2 would be 3.7. I am in the process of studying for the LSAT and aim to write it in August/September and would apply in November.

With my scores, do I really have a chance in law school? I want to be realistic and practical about my chances. I have applied to a master’s program public policy with Co-op: if I get in, I am thinking of maybe pursuing that. And working for a few years and apply as a mature student. Or just making a career in public policy and forget about law school.

Preferably, I would like to go to law school, but what’s been my concern is my chances of getting in, that’s why I came up with a back up plan just in case.

I would also like to add that If I did get into law school I would be around 29. I do plan on having kids in the next few years as well. I am also taking that into consideration as well. At this point in life, I do want to make some concrete decisions about what path I want to take.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Posted (edited)

You will be able to get into L2 schools with a decent LSAT and have a shot basically anywhere in Canada but UofT if you really, really crush the LSAT (statistically unlikely, but possible).

You really don't want to have kids while in law school though...

Edited by CleanHands

Is the Aug/Sept LSAT going to be your first write?

If so, be sure that you are scoring few points above your goal score on practice tests. Also, many students write their LSATs multiple times so if the Aug/Sept LSAT is your first write and you don't get your goal score, you will be dealing with the dilemma of completing your law school applications and studying for your 2nd LSAT exam.

OLSAS apps open late Aug and the deadline is Nov 1 every year. You have a little over 2 months to compile your apps, which goes by fairly quickly based on how lengthy the process can be. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CleanHands said:

You really don't want to have kids while in law school though.

Edited because I realize you mean you don’t want to give birth to them while in law school, not have them, lol

Edited by rebeccamtl

I’d like to offer an alternate opinion concerning the question of kids while attending law school. Start your family on your terms knowing there is no “perfect time”. There will always be challenges with becoming a parent. Certainly family planning is helpful to some degree, but I think now a days there’s an idea to you can simply decide upon a perfect timeline. We cannot control a number of factors involved in starting a family, so delaying until you’ve accomplished this or that is assuming you have more control over the process than you do and could prove regrettable. 
It is certainly possible to already have a family by the time you start law school or to start a family while pursuing law school (ie. giving birth to a baby, welcoming a baby into your life via your partner giving birth or adopting a baby). Plenty of people have done so successfully and then bring a different perspective to their education than they otherwise would have. 

Good luck with your decision between a masters or law school. And enjoy your future family! 

• Like 2

I just want to add on to what is already being said. I'm a current 1L in Ontario and there are a variety of people in my class who have kids who are in their teens. So if you really want to go to law school, go to law school, Don't let anything get in the way of your dream. You got this! Feel free to reach out directly if you have any questions

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you to everyone that responded, It gave me a bit of a perspective on how to move forward. 

Edited by law156

Posted (edited)

I don’t think you can really go wrong (provided finances are not a concern). I did my masters before applying to law school and I don’t regret it at all. It made me focus on what kind of law I might be interested and made me understand myself in a way that I don’t think I would have had I not gone to do my masters. If you do go and do your masters first, I hope you don’t feel like you’re wasting time. The only way this would be wasted is if you had no interest in the topic, which you’ve already stated is not the case. I’m not an admissions agent so I can’t say for sure, but I doubt that having a masters degree will have a negative impact on your future law school application in any way either.

That being said, if the only reason you’re interested in doing your masters is because you’re worried you won’t get into law school, then it feels premature if you haven’t even applied yet. Sure, the law school admissions sometimes feels like a black box, but you have a few things going for you (including the drive to go back and complete a second undergraduate degree! Go you!) and you haven’t even taken the LSATs yet. Focus on knocking the LSATs out of the park for now and forget about everything else. That should be your #1 priority. I wouldn’t lose hope just yet! 

I hope this helps even a little bit. :)

Edited by LunarChild
  • Like 2