sciencelawyer73

Lets say I don't get in, what did you guys do?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys! 

Maybe it's a bit early to think this,  but since I haven't heard back from any schools yet I've been thinking about what I would do for the next year. 

What did anyone here do on their gap year? Travel vs volunteering vs which fields to try to work in. etc. Any recommendations that would improve my application?

Thanks!

Edited by sciencelawyer73
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sciencelawyer73 said:

Any recommendations that would improve my application?

if its an LSAT problem, retake 

If you want to improve your cGPA, you can enrol in non-degree courses at a university. Studying and retaking the LSAT can help improve that aspect of your application. Also, it may be good to secure a job if you don't have one right now! :) I will also most likely have to re-apply and these are the areas I will be focusing on.

• Like 1

I did a gap year mostly because I was burnt out after my undergrad. I say this all the time - there’s no shame in taking a gap year. The average law student is 23-24 anyways. I took some time off to do some self-reflection, focus on mental health, work on my soft skills, build a network with some lawyers, research law schools/how to succeed in law school, etc. I spent the summer interning (remotely due to COVID) and that position became the centrepiece of my resume. I also picked up a few hobbies which are now on my resume, and inadvertently, have fostered good conversation during interviews. Looking back, despite the opportunity cost of graduating a year later and missing out on a year of income, it was probably one of the best decisions I made. 

• Like 5

Why think about something that most likely won't happen.

Ottawa is a sure thing unless you made a mistake on your applications.

13 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Agreed. I really wouldn't write yourself off yet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, Astro said:

Agreed. I really wouldn't write yourself off yet.

56 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Ottawa is a sure thing unless you made a mistake on your applications.

Hopefully! I also just want to see a brighter side to things in case it doesn't work out, and was just curious how others found a way to spend their gap year :)

Edited by sciencelawyer73

This is a great year to take some time off. Once vaccinations ramp up, go travel and enjoy life like everyone's been itching to do for a long time. 

• Like 9

I sat and thought long and hard about where my application went wrong. At first, I knew my LSAT was too low so I went back and wrote it twice, finally achieving a high enough score. Still didn't get in. I went back and took undergraduate classes after completing my Masters and got 4.0's in everything. I solicited advice from dozens of people on how to improve my personal statement. 

If you don't get in, understand where you went wrong and determine your options. Use the rejection as fuel to always do better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

I sat and thought long and hard about where my application went wrong. At first, I knew my LSAT was too low so I went back and wrote it twice, finally achieving a high enough score. Still didn't get in. I went back and took undergraduate classes after completing my Masters and got 4.0's in everything. I solicited advice from dozens of people on how to improve my personal statement. 

If you don't get in, understand where you went wrong and determine your options. Use the rejection as fuel to always do better.

This is probably the best advice someone can get. Heck I haven't even gotten into Law School yet but this is great life advice. You take losses with a grain of salt, learn what you can, improve yourself, redo. When we put our minds to something we just gotta keep going and not lose track of the vision. :) 

Hey! I'm in the exact same position as you. I applied all over, was waitlisted at my top choice and haven't heard anything back from the other schools. It's a really weird feeling knowing that, had we applied last cycle, things might have been different. I ended up applying and being accepted to grad school in LA so that's what I'm probably going to be doing :)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I took this year off because I couldn't imagine continuing in school - I really needed a break as well as I wanted to save up some money before being a student again. Look into jobs in your field, cool experience abroad like teaching english in Asia, or working/volunteering in the area of law your interested (possibly something in science based on your username). Also maybe think about traveling for fun and living abroad for the experience, or taking on a bigger project you likely won't have time for when you're a student again. One of my friends is learning a lot about construction and renovating his apartment, another is trying to launch a small business. If you don't get in this cycle, plenty of good can still come from the year! 

Edited by parkersophie

I took a gap year. Made that decision in 4th year undergrad (pre COVID). I was burnt out from university and needed time to be with me, to focus on my physical and mental health. 

Then COVID hit and it was the best time to study for the LSAT to bring my score up. That took a couple of tries but during that time, I continued interning for the government which turned into a full-time position. I'm learning so many practical things that I don't think I would have if I didn't take the gap year. 

Assess your situation and do what's right for you. There is no need to jump from undergrad to law school just because people you may know have done that (in my case, everyone I know who went to law school did that). Everyone's trajectory after undergrad is different. 

On 3/24/2021 at 5:18 PM, Luckycharm said:

Nothing is certain this cycle. Ottawa seems to have upped their standards 

• Like 2

I taught English abroad for a year and re-applied more broadly.  Would recommend.

Chill out, recoup, potentially rewrite LSAT, try and do something interesting, and reapply. 

• Like 1