foodie1

Higher # of applicants this year - why?

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question or if it has been asked already but I’ve seen people on here talk about how almost every law school had a lot more applicants this year compared to other years. Can anyone tell me why this may be? Is there a reason behind this? Perhaps a reason related to COVID-19? Just wondering out of curiosity! 

Edited by foodie1
Spelling

Economy's bad, people either struggle to find jobs or they feel like they may so they decide to apply to law school instead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Same thing happened in 2008 and a few years after that.

When the economy tanks or looks like it might, people want to stay in school rather than deal with that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

Seems to me that everyone says this every year.

This year is unquestionably unique and more competitive, LSAT scores are significantly up from last year (165-169: 54.5% (+301) 170-174: 91.9% (+237) 175-180: 131.3% (+42)) and application numbers are up by a large amount. In 2020, UofT had 2,204 applications and for the 2021 cycle they had 2,700. Similarly, Osgoode had 2,735 applications in 2020, and for 2021 they had 3,364.

Edited by Re7o
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No question this year is unique, as @Re7o puts it. It's the outlier of outliers. My question, what do you think next year's cycle will be like - better, worse, same? Think the number of applicants and the LSAT scores will normalize?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Musashi said:

No question this year is unique, as @Re7o puts it. It's the outlier of outliers. My question, what do you think next year's cycle will be like - better, worse, same? Think the number of applicants and the LSAT scores will normalize?

Tough to predict but I believe Spivey thinks that the next cycle will be more competitive than previous years but less competitive than this year. 

Link to the post:

https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/current-cycle-update-and-next-cycle-predictions/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe in the wake of COVID and the announcement of online classes, students with higher GPAs and LSAT scores deferred a year so that they could start in-person classes if COVID died down the following year. Now those applicants are applying this year and as a result there is an oversaturated pool of applicants with high stats. 

Also, maybe more sitting around doing nothing all day = "maybe I should try law school and start writing the LSAT" 

IDK mere speculation

• Confused 2

On 3/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, foodie1 said:

a lot more applicants this year compared to other years.

I have a feeling the LSAT Flex may have something to do with it as well. Having it online, and doing 3 sections in one go instead of 6 (4 tested+ 1 experimental + 1 writing) makes the test WAY more accessible to a LOT more people. Which isn't a bad thing at all for applicants until you get to the increased competition for admissions side of things. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, Smorr53 said:

Maybe in the wake of COVID and the announcement of online classes, students with higher GPAs and LSAT scores deferred a year so that they could start in-person classes if COVID died down the following year. Now those applicants are applying this year and as a result there is an oversaturated pool of applicants with high stats. 

Also, maybe more sitting around doing nothing all day = "maybe I should try law school and start writing the LSAT" 

IDK mere speculation

Students with deferrals wouldn't need to apply again.

4 hours ago, TobyFlenderson said:

Students with deferrals wouldn't need to apply again.

Also, most, if not all, schools did not grant deferrals for Covid reasons.

8 hours ago, OMS said:

I have a feeling the LSAT Flex may have something to do with it as well. Having it online, and doing 3 sections in one go instead of 6 (4 tested+ 1 experimental + 1 writing) makes the test WAY more accessible to a LOT more people. Which isn't a bad thing at all for applicants until you get to the increased competition for admissions side of things. 

It also makes the test, much, much easier 

• Like 3

On 3/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, Re7o said:

This year is unquestionably unique and more competitive, LSAT scores are significantly up from last year (165-169: 54.5% (+301) 170-174: 91.9% (+237) 175-180: 131.3% (+42)) and application numbers are up by a large amount. In 2020, UofT had 2,204 applications and for the 2021 cycle they had 2,700. Similarly, Osgoode had 2,735 applications in 2020, and for 2021 they had 3,364.

Sort of a tangential question, but with more (presumably General category) applicants, would schools then push out the Mature/Access, etc ones?  For example, if a school had 1000 total spots and of that, 100 were for Mature/Access/etc, if they had more General applicants would they potentially cut into that 100 to allow more General category candidates?

(Asking bc I'd be applying as Mature next cycle)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dimsum1 said:

Sort of a tangential question, but with more (presumably General category) applicants, would schools then push out the Mature/Access, etc ones?

I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I've been wondering if the opposite hasn't happened. If a large increase in applicants with significant work experience, motivated by the covid-19 situation to pursue law, hasn't pushed out some of the typical law school applicants who move straight from undergrad to JD. I don't think your competition is going to come from the general category, I think it's going to come from excess numbers of mature students with very solid backgrounds competing for those coveted mature category spots. Having said that, many of the schools value what mature applicants bring to their communities beyond simply stellar undergraduate GPAs. It seems that mature applicants have fared well this cycle, and I expect you will next cycle as well. I'd suggest you apply broadly though and of course make sure your personal statement shines.

Edited by Musashi

COVID19 = rough economy = more people out of work = more people re-examining their futures and their priorities = people choosing to pursue higher education in search of stability = more law school applicants. Sort of what happened with me anyway.

I wonder if other areas saw notable increase in applicants as well (medicine, MBAs, MA programs generally)

• Like 2

With regard to medicine specifically, I imagine they wouldn’t have seen as much of a spike. From what I know, it sounds like the process of applying to med school is a lot more onerous than applying to law school, so I imagine those who are less committed (i.e. the ones who would not have applied had there not been a pandemic) would not decide to apply in such great numbers as we’ve seen for law school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chazz said:

With regard to medicine specifically, I imagine they wouldn’t have seen as much of a spike. From what I know, it sounds like the process of applying to med school is a lot more onerous than applying to law school, so I imagine those who are less committed (i.e. the ones who would not have applied had there not been a pandemic) would not decide to apply in such great numbers as we’ve seen for law school.

I think you're right, but the opportunity cost of applying to law isn't something to scoff at either. People budgeting 2-3 months for lsat study might be in for a surprise. 

I think it also has to do with Kim Kardashian studying law. She inspired a lot of young people in this generation to become jurists 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Chazz said:

Med school has seen a notable increase in applicants as well according to this post

Edited by Re7o
Wrong info
  • Like 2