TheMidnightOil

Waiting still? Post your stats and discuss.

6 hours ago, AJD19 said:

I had these identical stats and was admitted January 2019. Thats too bad things seem to be different this year 

Im still holding out for hope but I literally have that though so frequently! 😂

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2021 at 6:56 PM, TheMidnightOil said:

Thread idea shamelessly stolen from the UBC forum, which itself was taken from the UofT forum.

Here's what I'm curious about: the extent to which the waves are declining in index score; whether GPA or LSAT is lopsided at all for those of us still waiting; and, from the previous two, if we can examine the validity of the unofficial index calculator for this year. Some might say this sort of speculation is a tremendous waste of time and energy. Agreed. Anyway,

The index calculator is: (GPA of your most recent 60 credits on a 4.0 scale)(22.5) + (highest LSAT score). So, an example would be: (3.88)(22.5) + (159) = 246.3.

To start, my stats are 3.96/158/247.1.

Damn TheMidnightOil. How are you not admitted with a 247 index score. I really hope you get in.

EDIT: Raybens too

Edited by Maxsteel18
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks,

My stats are 3.64/164/245.9. Third year applicant and losing hope for this cycle! :P

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2021 at 12:19 PM, Maxsteel18 said:

Damn TheMidnightOil. How are you not admitted with a 247 index score. I really hope you get in.

EDIT: Raybens too

Honestly, how are those two not in?! I keep thinking all of the first round offers are over since previous years they ended by March 22nd but surely not if those in the 247 range have not been accepted and yet those at 245.5 have been. 😖 What a strange cycle...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ttallent said:

Honestly, how are those two not in?! I keep thinking all of the first round offers are over since previous years they ended by March 22nd but surely not if those in the 247 range have not been accepted and yet those at 245.5 have been. 😖 What a strange cycle...

It has just been such a strange admissions process in general. I thought I had a decent chance, and I maybe still do, but 247 is starting to feel like it may be the lower end of this year's class. I chatted with TheMidnightOil and both of us applied a couple of days before the deadline so we think it might be because our applications were completed last minute. Maybe we are just lower in the queue 🤷‍♀️ considering they have yet to start rejections and the waitlist I am really uncertain of how many seats are even currently filled.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ttallent said:

A part of me feels like they're not automatically admitting those with an LSAT lower than a 159. Which is wild considering that 52 people with a 158 or less got accepted last year 2020. (Checked the official U of A admitted profile). My best assumption is those applicants are now cast into the holistic round, or their acceptance will come very soon. This would explain those with lower auto-admit scores that got accepted with higher LSATs. *Of course if we trust that the GPA calculations are correct*

My complete crazy speculation is that they made an LSAT cut-off for regular applicants as a part of their " new admissions system." Judging from the posts, no ones been accepted under that 159 with such high competition this year. I feel like most  Western universities have followed this, probably the most obvious one that hasn't is TRU. 

Yeah, it definitely sucks thinking you're a shoe-in and now realizing whether you'll even be accepted. :(

I feel for you folks. 

Edited by seallover
Added more
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, raybens said:

It has just been such a strange admissions process in general. I thought I had a decent chance, and I maybe still do, but 247 is starting to feel like it may be the lower end of this year's class. I chatted with TheMidnightOil and both of us applied a couple of days before the deadline so we think it might be because our applications were completed last minute. Maybe we are just lower in the queue 🤷‍♀️ considering they have yet to start rejections and the waitlist I am really uncertain of how many seats are even currently filled.

That's a good point. Other student's mentioned around 100 turned up for Dean's welcome. Even if 30% did not turn up that would imply there were roughly 50 seats left.

12 minutes ago, seallover said:

My complete crazy speculation is that they made an LSAT cut-off for regular applicants as a part of their " new admissions system." Judging from the posts, no ones been accepted under that 159 with such high competition this year. I feel like most  Western universities have followed this, probably the most obvious one that hasn't is TRU. 

That is my thought now too. At the start of this whole debacle, I honestly thought the crazy high LSATs would mean less emphasis on them lmao how wrong I appear to be.

• Like 1

SMH at the people that were downplaying the consequences of the LSAT changes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If the past couple years serve as a consistent record, it looks like we should be expecting our final big wave of acceptances like around April 7th - 15th date.

I'm honestly bookmarking that week and anticipating no earlier.

Seems like U of A has stayed pretty consistent on this.

• Like 1

lol

LSAT: 153

L2: ~3.6

I expect a big fat rejection any day now but what's life without a lil disappointment??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4th year undergrad at the U of A. Submitted my application with all documents in late December.  

LSAT: 163

L60: 3.65-3.7

Self-calculated index: ~244

Honestly when I applied I thought that I had a solid chance... now, not so much. This cycle is so stressful. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, peachesnbees said:

4th year undergrad at the U of A. Submitted my application with all documents in late December.  

LSAT: 163

L60: 3.65-3.7

Self-calculated index: ~244

Honestly when I applied I thought that I had a solid chance... now, not so much. This cycle is so stressful. 

The lowest index with the stats you gave is 245

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Borker said:

The lowest index with the stats you gave is 245

Oh, thank you for correcting me! Either way, definitely losing hope 😫 

19 hours ago, gcyeg said:

lol

LSAT: 153

L2: ~3.6

I expect a big fat rejection any day now but what's life without a lil disappointment??

Different stats but roughly same index, the tiniest bit higher. I feel you!!!

some of these stats look really good and I would expect them to get in. I thought UofA solely looked at numbers, do the personal statements also have some weight on acceptances that are not holistic?

1 minute ago, maybemaybe said:

some of these stats look really good and I would expect them to get in. I thought UofA solely looked at numbers, do the personal statements also have some weight on acceptances that are not holistic?

You bet, people are waiting for the March 31st deadline to pass because that's when they start admitting the holistic applicants and have read the personal statements. Now assuming they are dealing with a high volume of applicants as the other schools are, they probably are in the process of reading like 1500 student personal statements. It's nerve-wracking to guess whether your statement truly stands out and whether that fits the interest of the admissions committee.

There's one final push near the second week of April that happens every year. That's what everyone's waiting for. A week after that and they typically send out mass rejections and/or waitlists. Considering who accepts and declines their deposit on March 31st, it will be exciting. Seems like this year a lot of people are declining their position.

6 minutes ago, maybemaybe said:

They do not look at personal statements for the first round (ends March 31).

• Like 1

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of holistic admits drops quite a bit relative to general admits this year because of the competitiveness 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Borker said:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of holistic admits drops quite a bit relative to general admits this year because of the competitiveness 

Same. Although they have been increasing each year 25 (I think in 2018) -> 36 -> 40 in 2020 so they may have already decided to set aside a set number of seats before evaluations. Who knows. This whole thing is exhausting.

• Like 1