dillpickly

To the people waiting

It appears that many of the people being accepted are deciding to go elsewhere. How many people are still waiting to hear from the U of S that would accept the offer? 

While it was amusing at first to watch the accepted thread flush out with 'will be declining', its also beyond irritating as I would, will accept.

I understand the whole throw darts at the wall and hope a few stick mentality... but for those with zero intention of actually moving to Sask... why waste the application fee for some "accepted" flex?

/end rant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think many people do so as a safety school. Nonetheless, I share your frustration. 

• Like 1

I think the simple reality is that most people from outside Saskatchewan don’t want to come here for law school; they’d rather go to Toronto or Vancouver or Victoria or Calgary. Consequently, there’s less competition to get in, resulting in lower average entering stats. This leads to a lot of people seeing it as a safety school, so they apply « just in case » but then decline for the schools they actually want. The slowness of the USask adcoms contributes as well, since it’s more likely that acceptees will have received other offers by now, allowing more of them to decline right away.

• Like 1

Just now, Chazz said:

The slowness of the USask adcoms contributes as well, since it’s more likely that acceptees will have received other offers by now, allowing more of them to decline right away.

Hit the nail on the head. Judging from the other threads... looks like Sask is last this year for sending out acceptances?

1 minute ago, IAFS said:

Hit the nail on the head. Judging from the other threads... looks like Sask is last this year for sending out acceptances?

Yup, it was the last one by quite a bit.

Definitely would accept if I got an offer from them.

They are in my top 3 due to proximity to home (Alberta), have friends in Saskatoon and a few friends from home who are graduating from the JD program this year and enjoyed their time there. I check my email and portals every day hoping that one day I'll have an answer :-(

• Like 2

I would accept if I got an offer. I have a couple other schools that I would rather go to, but with how competitive this cycle is I don't expect to be getting acceptances from them. If I got into USask now I would accept, no hesitation. I don't really have a Sask connection, but I'm from Edmonton so it's still pretty close to home. One of the reasons I would actually really want to go there. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LegallyBrunette95 said:

I would accept if I got an offer. I have a couple other schools that I would rather go to, but with how competitive this cycle is I don't expect to be getting acceptances from them. If I got into USask now I would accept, no hesitation. I don't really have a Sask connection, but I'm from Edmonton so it's still pretty close to home. One of the reasons I would actually really want to go there. 

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat! I'm also from Edmonton and have a couple other schools I'd prefer but basically the same. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lkm97 said:

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat! I'm also from Edmonton and have a couple other schools I'd prefer but basically the same. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, IAFS said:

While it was amusing at first to watch the accepted thread flush out with 'will be declining', its also beyond irritating as I would, will accept.

I understand the whole throw darts at the wall and hope a few stick mentality... but for those with zero intention of actually moving to Sask... why waste the application fee for some "accepted" flex?

/end rant

People don’t apply to schools like this as a flex, it’s about eliminating downside risk. If you throw all your apps at schools with ultra low acceptance rates your gambling quite a bit even if you think you have good application.

I personally know a very stupid friend of mine who only applied to schools that he thought he’d for sure get into that were frankly out of his reach and ended up having to wait a year. Trust me, no one is paying the $100+ application fee to these programs just to “flex”.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, splittinrocks said:

People don’t apply to schools like this as a flex, it’s about eliminating downside risk. If you throw all your apps at schools with ultra low acceptance rates your gambling quite a bit even if you think you have good application.

I personally know a very stupid friend of mine who only applied to schools that he thought he’d for sure get into that were frankly out of his reach and ended up having to wait a year. Trust me, no one is paying the $100+ application fee to these programs just to “flex”.

Touch a nerve there? I understand risk management and sarcasm doesn't tend to float through the almighty internet well.

Eliminating risk is great... provided you'll actually go there if all other applications were rejected.

There's also plenty of people that $100 is *shrug* money, and being able to say they got "accepted to 7 schools" or other some other nonsense is worth it to them for attention.

5 minutes ago, IAFS said:

Touch a nerve there? I understand risk management and sarcasm doesn't tend to float through the almighty internet well.

Eliminating risk is great... provided you'll actually go there if all other applications were rejected.

There's also plenty of people that $100 is *shrug* money, and being able to say they got "accepted to 7 schools" or other some other nonsense is worth it to them for attention.

lol, what the hell are you talking about?

If you find people declining offers "beyond irritating" due to your envy over them turning down an option you wish that you had, then the only nerve touched is yours, dude.

The idea that people are applying to USask to get offers as a "flex" is quite laughable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IAFS said:

With all due respect, as someone who applied to USask, I was fully prepared to attend the school if my other applications were rejected. I don’t think anyone applied to the school with the malice intent to brag and/or post the “will be rejecting.” I think everyone has one or two safety applications, which is a smart and logical back-up plan. I seriously doubt people apply without intent to attend, but that’s my perception. 

With that said, I will be declining my USask offer as I have been accepted elsewhere, and just as others, I hope these open seats will go to deserving applicants who will succeed at USask. I wish you all the best in your applications! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IAFS said:

Is it sarcasm or are you actually trying to make a point here?

Just now, BC1424 said:

I don’t think anyone applied to the school with the malice intent to brag and/or post the “will be rejecting.”

Since you mention this: people, in fact, post such things as a courtesy to others so they have more information about what sort of stats are receiving offers. Funny that some people would rather be left in the dark.

I thought that the linkedin debate here the other day was bad but now I guess people are also too sensitive to hear that other people would decline a law school acceptance. I wonder what the next logical extension of this will be. Maybe we just need to shut down social media.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also just as a final comment, I’d be ecstatic if I saw all the people who had been accepted into my desired program were posting that they were declining their offers.

Every single one of those declined offers is an available seat!

Edited by splittinrocks
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I thought that the linkedin debate here the other day was bad but now I guess people are also too sensitive to hear that other people would decline a law school acceptance. I wonder what the next logical extension of this will be. Maybe we just need to shut down social media.

Too sensitive or a lack of confidence? Both? Although competition is healthy, envy certainly is not. Posting stats, answering questions, as you said, helps future and current applicants understand the admission process (or job applications). I don’t know how that ever became to be perceived as bragging or self-righteous.

But don’t joke about social media, I’m sure someone will consider that seriously. I think we all need to remember to be humble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAFS said:

There's also plenty of people that ... being able to say they got "accepted to 7 schools" ... is worth it to them for attention.

are these people in your imagination? 

• Like 2