Imprettylostrn

Did the big firms hire more summer students this year?

I was comparing class sizes for this year to the previous NALP data and the class sizes this year (summer 2021) are huge! The data on NALP indicates most bay street firms hire about 15-16 summer students but this year the numbers look like they're going to be 20+. This makes me a little concerned about articling hire back. Anyone have any insights? 

That's a glass half empty outlook! I see it as a good sign that firms are as busy, if not busier, than ever. 

• Thanks 1

just wait for the official list. NALP isn't super accurate. 

But i can confirm that business hasn't been slow with covid. Billing's are actually up at my firm in 2020 no one went on vacation :D

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

That's a glass half empty outlook! I see it as a good sign that firms are as busy, if not busier, than ever. 

I hadn't thought about it that way 🤔. I guess this is a good sign!

25 minutes ago, hmyo said:

just wait for the official list. NALP isn't super accurate. 

But i can confirm that business hasn't been slow with covid. Billing's are actually up at my firm in 2020 no one went on vacation :D

That's great to hear! Here's to hoping the momentum continues in 2021. 🍻

Every major firm I talked to said that 2020 was their most profitable year ever. Students, associates, and partners were busier than ever. Surprisingly good news from the industry. Wonder if we'll see salary raises for summers/another increase in pay scale soon? 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I doubt summers just two years after a large raise. It was 1450 for a long time before that, I thought. 

Associates would be nice. 

And yes, from the lists I’ve seen it looks like more than usual. I know we hired more, LS published their list on LinkedIn (so their students didn’t have to humblebrag about it, very nice of them) and they hired WAY more than they have in the past (looks like some full-service classes). 

Edited by easttowest

5 hours ago, Prospero said:

Every major firm I talked to said that 2020 was their most profitable year ever. Students, associates, and partners were busier than ever. Surprisingly good news from the industry. Wonder if we'll see salary raises for summers/another increase in pay scale soon? 

Can attest to this as well - many of the partners/associates I spoke with throughout the recruit claimed this past year has been one of their busiest/most profitable ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

I doubt summers just two years after a large raise. It was 1450 for a long time before that, I thought. 

And yes, from the lists I’ve seen it looks like more than usual. I know we hired more, LS published their list on LinkedIn (so their students didn’t have to humblebrag about it, very nice of them) and they hired WAY more than they have in the past (looks like some full-service classes). 

Pardon my ignorance, but what is LS?  

2 minutes ago, Imprettylostrn said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is LS?  

Lenczner Slaght, a very highly respected litigation boutique in Toronto

lenczner has been hiring around 10 since 2 years ago. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, easttowest said:

LS only hired about 4 more than last year. They grew a LOT last year.

Edited by UTorontoLit
  • Like 1

business has been good, especially in M&A (my practice group). From my observation as a junior, it seems distressed companies have been plucked off by cash fluid companies because of covid. This is in addition to M&A that happens regularly in every year pre-covid.