Shooshoo22

Waiting for acceptance still? Share your stats and discuss

28 minutes ago, rebeccamtl said:

You absolutely could have applied discretionary category. I am a mature student and I know of 2 others, we all applied discretionary.

From their website: “A limited number of positions in first year law are available for discretionary applicants. The Discretionary Category is for applicants who may have relevant achievements and experiences, but because of special factors in life, may not satisfy one or more of the requirements for General applicants. The Admissions Committee has the discretion to respond to such circumstances by taking into account factors such as disability or special needs, financial disadvantage, age (generally for applicants over 30 years of age), membership in a historically disadvantaged group, and any other factors that the applicant wishes the Committee to consider. These factors will be considered in the context of the applicant's other achievements, work experiences, volunteer work, and community involvement.

Very interesting! I understood that to mean that one can only apply as discretionary if the applicant “may not satisfy one or more of the requirements for General applicants”. Since I still satisfy all the requirements for general applicants (and then some), I felt I was only allowed to apply as general. The wording of the discretionary category is not very clear, particularly for a law school. 

Thank you for letting me know! Maybe next year then...

46 minutes ago, KelvinJD said:

1. You can estimate it using the calculator in the pinned post and it will come out *somewhat* similar to the actual score (mine was +/- 1%) but you can get your official score by emailing the admissions

2.162 is enough as long as your GPA and PS are good. You can use the admissions predictor in the pinned post to check your index and generally above 92 index used to be an auto-admit but now they have started considering personal statements more from the looks of it. I think an index of high 91.x will make you quite competitive. My lsat was a 160 but my GPA allowed my index score to be a 91.95 which granted me an admission in March.

3. I think this could mean a rejection as many people have received a different response saying they will be put on the waitlist BUT don't lose hope! no one can confirm what the decision will be yet

Thank you for your reply and thoughtful comments. I have emailed again to ask for my Allard Law Admissions official GPA as it seems that it will be the deciding factor.

In the meantime, I will reconcile with tackling that LSAT again and applying again next year with a score more representative of my skills! :)

Update - I emailed again asking if they could let me know my cGPA as per Allard Law, and they said it hasn’t been calculated yet and may take another 2-3 weeks. I think my low-ish January LSAT along with my complicated undergrad history put me lower in the list to even look at? Anyway, just wanted to share for others also waiting. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2021 at 3:18 PM, rachelzane12345 said:

LOL at the response I just got. Sharing to vent and for your entertainment. 

"Your CGPA is 74.19.  The decisions will be emailed sometime in April.  We recommend you to secure an offer if you have."

Why not just reject me then?? My LSAT is in the 99 percentile and my undergrad in engineering. Tempted to send them an angry email 😕

I don't think they're sending rejections yet (seems early). Wouldn't you prefer for them to be honest with you about securing other offers? I would. Not really sure why you'd be sending an angry email. I'd rather not be led on, personally.

Anyways.... 

@klm2024 - were you able to use Ryn's  converter and calculator to give you an estimate? You're right that courses after your degree won't count. I don't really understand what SAIT is or what it means, so no commentary there.

Edited by Starling
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Starling said:I don't really understand what SAIT is or what it means, so no commentary there.

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. It is post secondary so that’s weird they didn’t include it if it was used towards your degree

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the game posting here, I spoke with an admissions agent a few weeks back and they said I will certainly be waitlisted and they do not know the ranking until later on:

82.90 GPA, 166 LSAT, and what I thought was a very strong PS.

Confirming what others have said, they said this has been their most competitive year for admissions. I have offers from multiple other schools as well.

81.50 GPA, 167 LSAT, and I thought I had a strong PS. Recently graduated from UBC, living in Vancouver.

Too afraid to call and ask if I'll be waitlisted. I've received other offers but UBC is my #1. Sucks that they don't count our last semester in calculating the GPA. 

My application was delayed because they had my GPA down as 71.50 without my knowledge until about a month ago.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When do you all think they’ll let people off the waitlist? There must’ve been some offers that expired recently right? Also, at what point do you wait to get off the waitlist before just sticking with the choice you’ve already made? All of this is going to take 10 years off my life :(.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, sadisticsad said:

When do you all think they’ll let people off the waitlist? There must’ve been some offers that expired recently right? Also, at what point do you wait to get off the waitlist before just sticking with the choice you’ve already made? All of this is going to take 10 years off my life :(.

They said it won't be ranked until June, which leads me to believe it won't be until June or after June 😭 

Some offers definitely should have expired by now, so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll hear back before June. But, with the administrative disaster that was this cycle, I have no idea...

Last year offers off the wait list were going out as early as May :^(

Edited by mmich
Adding last bit
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, putmeoutofmymisery said:

81.50 GPA, 167 LSAT, and I thought I had a strong PS. Recently graduated from UBC, living in Vancouver.

Too afraid to call and ask if I'll be waitlisted. I've received other offers but UBC is my #1. Sucks that they don't count our last semester in calculating the GPA. 

My application was delayed because they had my GPA down as 71.50 without my knowledge until about a month ago.  

Wait they don’t use our last semester when calculating GPA?????? jejsnwanwsnsnnas

3 hours ago, mmich said:

They said it won't be ranked until June, which leads me to believe it won't be until June or after June 😭 

Some offers definitely should have expired by now, so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll hear back before June. But, with the administrative disaster that was this cycle, I have no idea...

Last year offers off the wait list were going out as early as May :^(

Okay that’s what I’m thinking too and I am SAD :(. It’s been soooo slow this year which I understand but it’s so incredibly frustrating. I also hope we hear back before June but at this point it seems unlikely unfortunately...

2 hours ago, Shooshoo22 said:

Wait they don’t use our last semester when calculating GPA?????? jejsnwanwsnsnnas

Yea if you’re completing your degree (undergrad only I think) they won’t look at your last semester. Essentially if you’re still in school rn it doesn’t rlly matter how u do.

13 hours ago, sadisticsad said:

Yea if you’re completing your degree (undergrad only I think) they won’t look at your last semester. Essentially if you’re still in school rn it doesn’t rlly matter how u do.

Ohhh if ur STILL in school right. But if u graduated 2020, they take that semester into account (when COVID hit) right?

2 hours ago, Shooshoo22 said:

Ohhh if ur STILL in school right. But if u graduated 2020, they take that semester into account (when COVID hit) right?

Yes! If your institution gave actual grades, they will still count that :).

• Like 1

gpa:79.51% (confirmed)

lsat:174 (jan)

index: 92.44

general category 

The status response email I got in March says "you should be hearing from us next month." not sure if it means a waitlist but there has been no offer given out in April last year and this year. Am I being waitlisted? UBC is my dream school and I don’t have any offers so far.. I am so scared to ask the admission office.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stellazzz said:

gpa:79.51% (confirmed)

lsat:174 (jan)

index: 92.44

general category 

The status response email I got in March says "you should be hearing from us next month." not sure if it means a waitlist but there has been no offer given out in April last year and this year. Am I being waitlisted? UBC is my dream school and I don’t have any offers so far.. I am so scared to ask the admission office.

I think at this point, it’s probably a waitlist unfortunately because they will be sending out the updates for that this month/next :(. I am not 100% sure though so you can ask admissions and just bluff and say you have other offers expiring and are hoping to attend UBC, so you wanted an update. Good luck!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, sadisticsad said:

say you have other offers expiring and are hoping to attend UBC, so you wanted an update

I did this for my admissions cycle and they responded via email that I got an offer. It was a less competitive cycle though and I actually had an offer where the deposit date was looming. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Aschenbach

Still waiting... 

cGPA: ~80%
LSAT: 166 in jan

assuming I’m going to be waitlisted.