Shooshoo22

Waiting for acceptance still? Share your stats and discuss

12 minutes ago, anlee82 said:

Hello! Does anyone know if accepting an offer at another school stops UBC from considering me for admission? Also, any advice on navigating between upcoming offer deadlines while still waiting for replies from other schools would also be very appreciated. Thank you!!

I don’t think it does!!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, anlee82 said:

Hello! Does anyone know if accepting an offer at another school stops UBC from considering me for admission? Also, any advice on navigating between upcoming offer deadlines while still waiting for replies from other schools would also be very appreciated. Thank you!!

Does not matter. The only place it works like that (sort of, not really) is Ontario because all the Ontario schools admissions are connected via OLSAS. Other provinces/schools do not communicate because there is no centralized application system equivalent to OLSAS.

Edited by castlepie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those still waiting, what are we supposed to do? 

I feel bad / hesitant to keep bothering Gareth about GPA calculations / admissions because I know the admissions team is likely to be super busy. At the same time, there doesn't seem to be any timeline at all and I need to start making realistic decisions about whether to study for the LSAT again, or whether to start looking into housing in Vancouver, book plane tickets back to Canada, figure out vaccinations, financial planning, etc. 

I've been trying to stay positive by exercising, reading, and keeping myself busy, but after months and months of being in limbo, I'm slowly starting to go crazy. :)

Just now, spse95 said:

For those still waiting, what are we supposed to do? 

I feel bad / hesitant to keep bothering Gareth about GPA calculations / admissions because I know the admissions team is likely to be super busy. At the same time, there doesn't seem to be any timeline at all and I need to start making realistic decisions about whether to study for the LSAT again, or whether to start looking into housing in Vancouver, book plane tickets back to Canada, figure out vaccinations, financial planning, etc. 

I've been trying to stay positive by exercising, reading, and keeping myself busy, but after months and months of being in limbo, I'm slowly starting to go crazy. :)

Hey! 

I'm about to write a wall of text so feel free to read it and take what you need. 

As someone who is waiting as well I completely understand. I think ultimately it's good that you don't want to bother them (because like same) but also it may be good to reach out as well. Did you apply discretionary? Because if you did, it's going to be a little bit more of a wait. I applied discretionary and so I'm not even going to ask them for my GPA because I know they have a mountain before they get to me. 

As for your situation, ultimately it's up to you as to what you want to be doing with this time because the unfortunate part is you can't control the wait (or anything really after you submit your application). I think I would also look at your stats to make your decision in regards to studying...  I haven't looked at your profile but if your stats are in line with previous acceptance threads and you haven't applied discretionary then you probably just need to keep waiting. If your stats are lower and you also haven't applied discretionary then maybe studying might be good. As for looking into housing in Vancouver there's really no shame in looking. If anything, I've used it as a motivator to make UBC a reality if not this year then next year. There's really no harm in just taking a gander at what Vancouver looks like housing wise. Financial planning is good but there's definitely things that you can do in the meantime. Have you looked into student loans? LOCs etc ? Do you have enough saved? Could you live without working during school? These are all things that might work to occupy your time and if they're not of use this year then at least you might have a better idea for next year. Vaccines are coming and I don't know where you are located but eventually everyone will get one (who wants one that is)  in Canada at least. As for flights, they are probably really cheap at the moment and for the foreseeable future will likely stay that way at least until people are comfortable traveling again but maybe we can lump that in with finances as well. Looking into the cost of flights as we get closer to September may not be bad even from just a planning perspective as to when you leave your country. 

Lastly, I completely know the crazy feeling that you are feeling at the moment. But ultimately, the law school gods have the last say so the only thing you can do are things within your control. You have doing great so far :). 

I know this process is really hard but eventually you'll get an answer. Let me know if you need to talk or just want to vent. 

Best of luck with everything :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, trashpanda said:

Hey! 

I'm about to write a wall of text so feel free to read it and take what you need. 

As someone who is waiting as well I completely understand. I think ultimately it's good that you don't want to bother them (because like same) but also it may be good to reach out as well. Did you apply discretionary? Because if you did, it's going to be a little bit more of a wait. I applied discretionary and so I'm not even going to ask them for my GPA because I know they have a mountain before they get to me. 

As for your situation, ultimately it's up to you as to what you want to be doing with this time because the unfortunate part is you can't control the wait (or anything really after you submit your application). I think I would also look at your stats to make your decision in regards to studying...  I haven't looked at your profile but if your stats are in line with previous acceptance threads and you haven't applied discretionary then you probably just need to keep waiting. If your stats are lower and you also haven't applied discretionary then maybe studying might be good. As for looking into housing in Vancouver there's really no shame in looking. If anything, I've used it as a motivator to make UBC a reality if not this year then next year. There's really no harm in just taking a gander at what Vancouver looks like housing wise. Financial planning is good but there's definitely things that you can do in the meantime. Have you looked into student loans? LOCs etc ? Do you have enough saved? Could you live without working during school? These are all things that might work to occupy your time and if they're not of use this year then at least you might have a better idea for next year. Vaccines are coming and I don't know where you are located but eventually everyone will get one (who wants one that is)  in Canada at least. As for flights, they are probably really cheap at the moment and for the foreseeable future will likely stay that way at least until people are comfortable traveling again but maybe we can lump that in with finances as well. Looking into the cost of flights as we get closer to September may not be bad even from just a planning perspective as to when you leave your country. 

Lastly, I completely know the crazy feeling that you are feeling at the moment. But ultimately, the law school gods have the last say so the only thing you can do are things within your control. You have doing great so far :). 

I know this process is really hard but eventually you'll get an answer. Let me know if you need to talk or just want to vent. 

Best of luck with everything :)

Thank you. I read your response multiple times and everything that you mentioned is correct and I know to be correct deep in my heart. It's just frustrating because sometimes the hours and days seem to be going by in slow-mo. 

You're right, I'll just have to start by doing/planning the things that I can do right now and let the "uncontrollable" take care of itself. :) 

Good luck to you as well!! I am very grateful and thankful for your thoughtful response. 

• Like 2

I’ll just post here as well, also waiting. Expecting to get rejected. 86.04 (confirmed) and 161 LSAT.
If only they took my 4th year I’d be at 88% and maybe have a chance🥺🥲 

(I’m also at a letter-grade school) 

167 LSAT, 82.5 CGPA (with drops, self-calculated). 

Hoping to be waitlisted but I realize that may be unrealistic at this point (as is getting off the waitlist). 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, animallaw said:

Hoping to be waitlisted but I realize that may be unrealistic at this point (as is getting off the waitlist). 

I have similar stats!! 166 LSAT and 83.2% GPA and they told me I’d be waitlisted and get an update in April/may, so don’t lose hope yet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sadisticsad said:

I have similar stats!! 166 LSAT and 83.2% GPA and they told me I’d be waitlisted and get an update in April/may, so don’t lose hope yet!

Thank you for this! I saw your other post a few weeks back, did UBC happen to clarify if you would ever be notified that you are on a waitlist? (very curious what kind of update they mean for April/May). It is taking all my strength not to reach out to them myself out of curiosity, so since we have basically the same index score I can only hope we are in the same boat! 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 12:43 PM, animallaw said:

Not unrealistic especially with these scores, have you tried calling admissions? Don't be afraid to bother them they're literally the sweetest people at UBC. 

4 hours ago, sadisticsad said:

Best of luck!! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, animallaw said:

Thank you for this! I saw your other post a few weeks back, did UBC happen to clarify if you would ever be notified that you are on a waitlist? (very curious what kind of update they mean for April/May). It is taking all my strength not to reach out to them myself out of curiosity, so since we have basically the same index score I can only hope we are in the same boat! 

They did! They told me I’d get a notification in April or may, and then my ranking in June!! I think you’re probably in the same boat as me because we are almost the same applicant :) 

Edited by sadisticsad
  • Like 2

Since they're using a new index score system that now allegedly incorporates personal statements, does that necessarily guarantee that everyone with stats similar to someone waitlisted will also be waitlisted? :o 

8 hours ago, mmich said:

Since they're using a new index score system that now allegedly incorporates personal statements, does that necessarily guarantee that everyone with stats similar to someone waitlisted will also be waitlisted? :o 

Okay good point...I don’t even really know how they do it anymore so I guess we just have to wait and see!

• Like 1

Just now, sadisticsad said:

Okay good point...I don’t even really know how they do it anymore so I guess we just have to wait and see!

Lol we don't know anything 🥴 lord help us skdoaodw 

• Haha 1

Was also just told I'd be waitlisted! 😅🤞

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mmich said:

Was also just told I'd be waitlisted! 😅🤞

Did you email them? I'm so scared to ask lol. 

3 minutes ago, GreatPark said:

Did you email them? I'm so scared to ask lol. 

Yep they responded really quick too. They also let me know that unlike last year, offers off of the waitlist won't start until June. :(

6 minutes ago, mmich said:

Yep they responded really quick too. They also let me know that unlike last year, offers off of the waitlist won't start until June. :(

Oh gosh. I hate this cycle lol. I'm pretty certain I'll also get waitlisted if not outright rejected. I'm also waitlisted at U of T... 

I'm just hoping I hear back from UVic soon. Do you have an offer from any other school? I wish I'd applied to more schools, otherwise I wouldn't be this anxious. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, GreatPark said:

Oh gosh. I hate this cycle lol. I'm pretty certain I'll also get waitlisted if not outright rejected. I'm also waitlisted at U of T... 

I'm just hoping I hear back from UVic soon. Do you have an offer from any other school? I wish I'd applied to more schools, otherwise I wouldn't be this anxious. 

I have an offer from Ottawa which is great, but would strongly prefer to not move 😔 (Not to mention that by June I would have already paid a deposit sigh)

You definitely won't get rejected unless you wrote that you hate UBC or something on your PS dw! 

But yeah, I thought I might have had a shot with personal statements being weighed equally, but I'm really doubting this was actually the case this year cause there's been virtually no diversity in the accepted thread 😔

Edited by mmich
Spelling

4 minutes ago, mmich said:

I have an offer from Ottawa which is great, but would strongly prefer to not move 😔 (Not to mention that by June I would have already paid a deposit sigh)

You definitely won't get rejected unless you wrote that you hate UBC or something on your PS dw! 

But yeah, I thought I might have had a shot with personal statements being weighed equally, but I'm really doubting this was actually the case this year cause there's been virtually no diversity in the accepted thread 😔

Congratulations on your Ottawa offer!

Are you from the West? I live in BC and have two children currently attending school here, so I didn't apply more broadly (with the exception of U of T). 

Agreed. My theory is that they received too many applications with high stats they simply couldn't turn down, leaving very little room for personal statements to play any meaningful role in the admission process. But honestly who knows. :( 

Worst case I can apply early next cycle. 

• Like 1