I was hoping to get some advice when it comes to housing in Ottawa. I’ve read through most of the threads here which have been super helpful regarding what areas to look for apartments etc. I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to find a roommate who is also in 1L. Are there usually some students looking to connect with roommates once the facebook page is formed or are most people interested in one bedrooms? 

Also I’m coming from a university town where like 95% of leases that are within 20 minutes of the school start in May. I’m assuming the situation is a little different in Ottawa. Is it reasonable to expect to find a lease that starts in August or September or do most ones near the university begin in May? 

1 hour ago, YerAWizardHarry said:

I was hoping to get some advice when it comes to housing in Ottawa. I’ve read through most of the threads here which have been super helpful regarding what areas to look for apartments etc. I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to find a roommate who is also in 1L. Are there usually some students looking to connect with roommates once the facebook page is formed or are most people interested in one bedrooms? 

Also I’m coming from a university town where like 95% of leases that are within 20 minutes of the school start in May. I’m assuming the situation is a little different in Ottawa. Is it reasonable to expect to find a lease that starts in August or September or do most ones near the university begin in May? 

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-real-estate/ottawa/sandy-hill/k0c34l1700185?rb=true&ad=offering&sort=relevancyDesc

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

From what I’ve heard, there’s a ton of options for leases with a September-start in the Sandy Hill area :)

Edited by Simonzzzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When should one start looking for a September lease?

I live in Ottawa.  While Sandy Hill is closest, the entire downtown really isn't that big.  I live in Centretown and it's a 20 min walk to UOttawa (I pass by it on my way to work).  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Stargirl666 said:

Are July-July leases common in the city or is it better to plan to move in September?

Anything is possible, although May and September are the biggest dates generally. There is a constant supply (albeit limited) throughout the year. 

• Thanks 2

Plenty of options to choose from all within a 5 to (at most) 20 to 25 minute walk: Sandy Hill, parts of Vanier (the area right on the other end of the footbridge at Strathcona Park), Lowertown, Golden Triangle, Centretown, Little Italy). One bedrooms are expensive, so your best bet is to get a roommate and pay about 700 each for a decent two bedroom relatively close to the campus. Sandy Hill is the ideal place in terms of location but it can be loud at times and there is a rat problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Plenty of options to choose from all within a 5 to (at most) 20 to 25 minute walk: Sandy Hill, parts of Vanier (the area right on the other end of the footbridge at Strathcona Park), Lowertown, Golden Triangle, Centretown, Little Italy). One bedrooms are expensive, so your best bet is to get a roommate and pay about 700 each for a decent two bedroom relatively close to the campus. Sandy Hill is the ideal place in terms of location but it can be loud at times and there is a rat problem.

How did you and your fellow classmates go about finding suitable roommates? 

I can’t think of much other than what’s already been shared here, ie: using the Facebook accepted page. 

Thanks for the tip about the rats!

Edited by Seekingredemption

6 hours ago, Seekingredemption said:

How did you and your fellow classmates go about finding suitable roommates? 

I can’t think of much other than what’s already been shared here, ie: using the Facebook accepted page. 

Thanks for the tip about the rats!

I can ask my friends what they did. I've only ever lived with buddies in Ottawa. The Facebook accepted page would be a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

A 20-25 min walk doesn't seem bad at all but is it doable in Ottawa winters? I always hear about how Ottawa gets a lot more snow + more cold weather in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daughterinlaw said:

A 20-25 min walk doesn't seem bad at all but is it doable in Ottawa winters? I always hear about how Ottawa gets a lot more snow + more cold weather in general. 

Yes, it's possible. People do it everyday. My husband and I (pre-Covid) walked to work daily,  ~30 minutes, and have done so for years now. Get yourself appropriate winter clothing and boots and you'll be fine.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, daughterinlaw said:

That's a question for you to answer! Do you want to walk 30 mins in -20 weather twice a day during the winter - only you can answer that. Some say yes, others say no. Some won't even want to do the walk in the summer.

6 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Yes, it's possible. People do it everyday. My husband and I (pre-Covid) walked to work daily,  ~30 minutes, and have done so for years now. Get yourself appropriate winter clothing and boots and you'll be fine.

That's good to hear, thank you. 

55 minutes ago, throwaway1001 said:

That's a question for you to answer! Do you want to walk 30 mins in -20 weather twice a day during the winter - only you can answer that. Some say yes, others say no. Some won't even want to do the walk in the summer.

My heart says yes but my 22 but feels like 70 yr old grandma bones say no, I guess we'll see

• Like 1
  • Haha 1