member123456

What is unique to TRU/ what makes the law program special?

Hi guys, 

I am curious to know what makes TRU's law program stand out? What classes/student clubs/ opportunities do they have that might not be at other schools? Any impressive faculty-why?

Thanks! :) 

A big one for me was course selection. The school has demonstrated a willingness to let profs teach courses on somewhat niche topics as long as there's interest from students. Every year the students are surveyed about what courses they want and the administration has been responsive to that survey.

Some cool/unique courses offered at TRU:

Video Gaming Law, In-House & Corporate Counsel, Designing Legal Expert Systems, Lawyering in the 21st Century, Animal Law, Mental Health Law & Policy

Here's a list of Profs and their research

Here's a list of courses

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

Literally nothing 

3 out of your last 4 comments are negative about TRU, and each one is on a different thread - got a chip on your shoulder or something?

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

3 out of your last 4 comments are negative about TRU, and each one is on a different thread - got a chip on your shoulder or something?

I wouldn't say they're negative lol.  One was an inquiry with a 174 LSAT choosing TRU first. I was just curious why they would choose TRU over any other school in the country. With regard to this thread, while I do think TRU is a good school, I just don't think there is anything that "unique" or "special" about it in comparison to other schools. 

Edited by AJD19

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

One was an inquiry with a 174 LSAT choosing TRU first. I was just curious why they would choose TRU over any other school in the country.

Fair enough. There's plenty of reason to go TRU over other schools (i.e., TRU > Windsor if you want to work in Vancouver), but given the opportunity to attend any school I don't think anyone would pick TRU over schools like UBC/UVic/U of T.

32 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

With regard to this thread, while I do think TRU is a good school, I just don't think there is anything that "unique" or "special" about it in comparison to other schools. 

I mean, I described something that I believe makes TRU unique, if you scroll up. You're free to disagree with that reason, but saying "literally nothing" isn't helpful and really just sounds petty.

To elaborate on my other comment in this thread, TRU really captured my attention for its selection of progressive courses that I simply didn't see listed at other schools. TRU was the first school in the country to offer a course on In-House & Corporate Counsel, for example. There were also specific profs/sessionals that I wanted to learn from (and am now actually good friends with).

EDIT:

For a less fluffy response to @member123456's question, the primary draw to TRU is that it's the easiest school in BC to get into. It's unique in that UBC/UVic have high GPA/LSAT requirements while TRU has truly holistic admissions. This makes TRU the ideal school if you want to work in BC but can't get into UBC/UVic on stats alone.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, canuckfanatic said:

I mean, I described something that I believe makes TRU unique, if you scroll up. You're free to disagree with that reason, but saying "literally nothing" isn't helpful and really just sounds petty.

I mostly agree with you that the other response was needlessly diskish. But I took a mental health law class at UBC and the same prof also teaches it at UVic. I also know offhand that UBC has a video game law course. Don't know about the others but I'm sure that every Canadian law school has a few courses that other schools don't.

So...honestly yeah, I do disagree with your reason.

Edited by CleanHands

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I mostly agree with you that the other response was needlessly diskish. But I took a mental health law class at UBC and the same prof also teaches it at UVic. I also know offhand that UBC has a video game law course. Don't know about the others but I'm sure that every Canadian law school has a few courses that other schools don't.

So...honestly yeah, I do disagree with your reason.

Fair enough, I know some of those courses are offered at other schools. UBC/TRU share the instructor that teaches Video Game Law/Entertainment Law/Digital Media/Communications, though he taught In-House Counsel exclusively at TRU (idk if that's still the case).

While not all of those courses strictly unique to TRU, they're a factor that can make TRU stand out. Anecdotally, when I was applying to schools I was surprised to find TRU had one of the best selections of entertainment/sports law courses.

Edit: to reiterate, the best answer to OP is probably that TRU is the only option in BC that uses holistic admissions.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2