Sign in to follow this  
FutureLaywer

Chances of acceptance into McGill Law?

Posted (edited)

I was wondering what are the chances of me getting accepted into McGill Law with a CGPA of 3.8/4.3? (Not sure if this helps but i'm majoring in Finance). My volunteer/experience is strong. For example, right now I'm an advisor at a non-profit legal clinic. Also, is it okay if I repeated 2 courses (1 due to Covid, and the other because of a poor grade)

Edited by FutureLaywer

You have a chance in the sense that you shouldn't be discouraged from applying but shouldn't necessarily expect to be admitted.

What does being an advisor at the legal clinic entail? It's good to be involved in extracurriculars but, from an admissions perspective, I'm not sure what the experience is good for except for signalling an interest in law (which is generally just assumed) but this might be different depending on the nature of your involvement.

The repeated course thing isn't a deal breaker but should probably be kept to a minimum.

Posted (edited)

I started off as a secretary, but now i'm an Advisor. I under went 2 months of training and I now give legal information and support to clients in areas of housing, welfare, pensions, family allowances, etc. I explain people their rights and check for eligibility for certain government programs by evaluating their financial situations for instance. I also help with landlord/tenant disputes and prepare people for rental board hearings. I am also involved in a debate committee at school, and multiple other organizations. 

I also have experience in marketing (volunteered at a centre for advocacy as a marketing coordinator) , finance (taught workshops), and fundraising. Also worked in a construction company. I am also planning on doing internships. 

Sorry this is a lot of information. I just really want to be accepted. I am also being mentored by a tax lawyer. 

Edited by FutureLaywer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, msk2012 said:

You have a chance in the sense that you shouldn't be discouraged from applying but shouldn't necessarily expect to be admitted.

What does being an advisor at the legal clinic entail? It's good to be involved in extracurriculars but, from an admissions perspective, I'm not sure what the experience is good for except for signalling an interest in law (which is generally just assumed) but this might be different depending on the nature of your involvement.

The repeated course thing isn't a deal breaker but should probably be kept to a minimum.

I started off as a secretary, but now i'm an Advisor. I under went 2 months of training and I now give legal information and support to clients in areas of housing, welfare, pensions, family allowances, etc. I explain people their rights and check for eligibility for certain government programs by evaluating their financial situations for instance. I also help with landlord/tenant disputes and prepare people for rental board hearings.For example, I have also drafted letters for clients. I am also involved in a debate committee at school, and multiple other organizations. 

I also have experience in marketing (volunteered at a centre for advocacy as a marketing coordinator) , finance (taught workshops), and fundraising. Also worked in a construction company. I am planning on doing internships in finance too before applying to law. 

Sorry this is a lot of information. I just really want to be accepted. I am also being mentored by a tax lawyer.

Edited by FutureLaywer

Ahh, okay. I was expecting something else and what you've outlined is more relevant than what I'd imagined.

I think you have a reasonable chance of being accepted and I would encourage you to apply if you're interested in the program. 

13 minutes ago, msk2012 said:

Ahh, okay. I was expecting something else and what you've outlined is more relevant than what I'd imagined.

I think you have a reasonable chance of being accepted and I would encourage you to apply if you're interested in the program. 

Most advisors at the clinic are already law students, so I am very lucky to have this opportunity. Do you have any recommendations for me to further increase my chances? I am planning on applying in about a year or so. I appreciate you responding and helping out!

Also, I retook a total of 2 courses (one was because I put a PASS during Covid and wanted to redo it, and the other is because I took it during my first year and did poorly), is this too much? I was thinking of either retaking a 3rd one or just taking a non-credit course to boost up my CGPA 

Just a few quick recommendations:

• Have a safety school or two
  • Start thinking of who might write you letters or recommendation (and maybe work on improving/maintaining these relationships)
  • When preparing your application, make note of your language abilities in English/French

In terms of repeating courses, I don't see the point. The two times you've already done it are in the past so there's no point worrying about them now. Doing it a third time seems like a waste of time/money.

4 minutes ago, msk2012 said:

Just a few quick recommendations:

• Have a safety school or two
  • Start thinking of who might write you letters or recommendation (and maybe work on improving/maintaining these relationships)
  • When preparing your application, make note of your language abilities in English/French

In terms of repeating courses, I don't see the point. The two times you've already done it are in the past so there's no point worrying about them now. Doing it a third time seems like a waste of time/money.

okay thanks so much!!