maybemaybe

What does a day in your life look like?

Hello! I was wondering if any lawyers, articles, etc. could list their average day to day activities throughout their work days? Thank you! 

A day in my life as an articling student:

Wake up, glance at the papers, check the pre-market, shower, make coffee, drink coffee, check the pre-market again, look at my email, think about cleaning up my dockets, oops it’s 9:20, start working, oops it’s 9:40 check the open, okay back to work on and off until about 6pm, check the after hours, make dinner, back to work until about 9:30 since I was such a lazy idiot and just had to keep that timer off during the day, didn’t I, hop on the exercise bike for 40 minutes, shower, chess puzzles on the couch for 40-60 minutes, get into bed, scroll through magazine articles for a bit, go to sleep. 

Repeat x4 (except the exercise...).

Weekends vary.

(This particular weekend day I caught up on my dockets and will organize my inbox before wrapping up a letter. I already watched soccer and played a decent amount of FIFA, though).

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 2/28/2021 at 11:12 AM, easttowest said:

A day in my life as an articling student:

Wake up, glance at the papers, check the pre-market, shower, make coffee, drink coffee, check the pre-market again, look at my email, think about cleaning up my dockets, oops it’s 9:20, start working, oops it’s 9:40 check the open, okay back to work on and off until about 6pm, check the after hours, make dinner, back to work until about 9:30 since I was such a lazy idiot and just had to keep that timer off during the day, didn’t I, hop on the exercise bike for 40 minutes, shower, chess puzzles on the couch for 40-60 minutes, get into bed, scroll through magazine articles for a bit, go to sleep. 

Repeat x4 (except the exercise...).

Weekends vary.

(This particular weekend day I caught up on my dockets and will organize my inbox before wrapping up a letter. I already watched soccer and played a decent amount of FIFA, though).

seems busy but I love how flexible this is! Do you see yourself wanting to work more from home after the pandemic too? I like online school because I saved the 3 hours of commuting each day but I also found myself to slack more. Wondering how its like in a job setting

2 hours ago, maybemaybe said:

seems busy but I love how flexible this is! Do you see yourself wanting to work more from home after the pandemic too? I like online school because I saved the 3 hours of commuting each day but I also found myself to slack more. Wondering how its like in a job setting

It will be hard to adjust to going back to the office but I think getting out of the house regularly will be better in the long run. I will never live 1.5 hours from work, I’ve done it before and it does not fit with my way of living. 

I took a number of 9pm or later taxis home during my summer and I’m not looking forward to those. What I’ll probably do is make sure I have a decent home set up and leave at 6ish and pick it up from home. The trade off is losing free food for working late, but that’s a novelty that I can see wearing off when I’d just rather be home. 

Yeah, in my last job I had to commute 45-75 minutes, depending on the traffic. I took this one not necessarily because I thought it was a better job (though it turned out to be) but because I could walk and bike to work in just a few minutes.

Before having a baby I used to move seamlessly between home and office. I might spend a few hours in the office doing meetings, calls, being social, then go home at 3 so I could review a factum or whatever I need some more silence and concentration for.

When we had the baby I started to just spend my whole day in the office because focusing on anything or having calls at home was hard. Then, of course, that choice was cruelly snatched from me by the pandemic. But I'm looking forward to going back to a time when I could choose to work from home or the office for all or part of the day or week based on my plans and what I need to do that day. My home office setup is way better now, so it will be even better than before.

2 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

Yeah, in my last job I had to commute 45-75 minutes, depending on the traffic. I took this one not necessarily because I thought it was a better job (though it turned out to be) but because I could walk and bike to work in just a few minutes.

A partner at a Vancouver firm mentioned they were wary of hiring lawyers that had to drive over a bridge to get to work. They found that those lawyers never stuck around for more than a year or two because they inevitably want to work closer to home.

I lasted five years in that job! Exactly as long as I lasted on Bay St.

We will probably do a mix of working from home a few days a week and working on-site the other days. We can definitely manage working from home but we are all itching to get back in the office and being able to collaborate in-person. I find it tough to work at the dining table day in day out. I'm averaging more hours each month during lockdown because I'm just always in front of my computer. We are a small shop, so being overwhelmingly busy is a good problem to have, since it's forcing us to rehire our articling student as an associate and hire another student to replace her, but I definitely looking forward to being back in a workplace setting. I'm surrounding by my toddler's toys and am outnumbered in the house! 

2 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, in a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an icepack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the icepack, I use a deep-pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond bodyscrub, and on the face, an exfoliating gel-scrub.

Then I apply an herb mint facial masque, which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

I could read/hear this quote a million times and still laugh.

3 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Didn’t we just have a whole thread of this?

This one: 

yeah it was a mistake. I posted this in law students when I meant to post in articling students and lawyers and I couldn't delete it after it had been posted. I think I mentioned it in this thread or the one that you linked.