Cookies20000

Will a prof agree to act as a reference if I only got a B+ in her class?

I'm looking to apply for a position that requires me to list references. There's a class I liked and that I participated in frequently. I only received a B+, but I believe I have a decent relationship with the prof. I wouldn't say that we have a strong connection, I would just say that we have a decent relationship. That said, is it likely that she would agree to act as a reference? Or is it weird for me to ask, given that I received a pretty average grade her class?

Thanks in advance.

I definitely have profs that will give a reference for pretty much anyone in the class. Obviously, the strength of the letter may vary with your grade, but it's worth a shot.

Get the reference and move on. Who cares about how strong of a reference it is. You getting or not getting the position won’t hinge on the reference.

• Confused 1

This may be different this year because you may not have met your professor in person, but keep in mind that your exams are usually graded blind. So your prof's impression of you is likely more based on their interactions with you in the class. If you participate in class and have a decent relationship with them, then "only" having a B+ (which keep in mind is above average) shouldn't be an issue

13 hours ago, sportsball said:

This may be different this year because you may not have met your professor in person, but keep in mind that your exams are usually graded blind. So your prof's impression of you is likely more based on their interactions with you in the class. If you participate in class and have a decent relationship with them, then "only" having a B+ (which keep in mind is above average) shouldn't be an issue

Strong this.

I had profs give me strong references for classes I got a B in.  Just ask, the worst thing that'll happen is that they say no!

I got a reference from a professor who gave me a B+ that was stronger than the one i got from a professor who gave me an A (in a more difficult course).