Jump to content
CarisaC

Dying of Anticipation

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jinx13 said:

Likely waiting for the March 31 deadline to pass

I'm starting to think the same and I know it sucks, but buckle up for a longer ride because they probably won't send anything until Tuesday, April 6 after the long Easter weekend ends over, after March 31st.

I find it funny that I'm looking forward for the week more than the weekend, because that could be a day I hear back from them. 😅

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, seallover said:

I'm starting to think the same and I know it sucks, but buckle up for a longer ride because they probably won't send anything until Tuesday, April 6 after the long Easter weekend ends over, after March 31st.

I find it funny that I'm looking forward for the week more than the weekend, because that could be a day I hear back from them. 😅

Currently hating the weekend and living for the week! 😅 but that’s a very good point about Easter weekend, I hadn’t thought about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, seallover said:

I'm starting to think the same and I know it sucks, but buckle up for a longer ride because they probably won't send anything until Tuesday, April 6 after the long Easter weekend ends over, after March 31st.

I find it funny that I'm looking forward for the week more than the weekend, because that could be a day I hear back from them. 😅

I'm a little neurotic and I checked the 2019 acceptance threads, there was people accepted mid-end of march so there may be some hope! Does anybody else still check their portals on the weekend even though you know there is going to be no change lol 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LKlawhopeful said:

I'm a little neurotic and I checked the 2019 acceptance threads, there was people accepted mid-end of march so there may be some hope! Does anybody else still check their portals on the weekend even though you know there is going to be no change lol 

Me! 🙋🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's the same this year, but way back in 2018 we had a March 31 deadline for accepting offers. So I would expect more movement on the waitlist after that date, as the Faculty gets a better sense of how many of their offers have been accepted.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 4:23 PM, pleaseadmitme said:

just wanted to give you some piece of mind: a friend of mine got accepted then sent me a pic of their portal to show me what it looked like. it is very obvious on the main page of the portal, and not underneath any of the buttons, like the "status" one that gives you the "sufficient documents" message. just so you know and aren't driving yourself crazy digging for changes :) 

since i was waitlisted i'll let you guys know what that looks like on the portal too- literally no change. they said in the email that your status wouldn't update unless you were accepted/ declined. my status on the portal even still says "we have received sufficient documentation to begin a review of your application". if i didn't check my email I wouldn't have known any different! so be vigilant with your email (as i'm sure all of you are :) ) !

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this. I have been checking it all but nice to know not to bother with the portal at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NeverTooLate said:

Thank you for this. I have been checking it all but nice to know not to bother with the portal at this point.

no problem! i know it gives me peace of mind to know exactly what i'm supposed to be looking for. calgary at least seems to be quite up to date with updating the portal as soon as status changes, i know some schools there's a bit of lag time between either the email being sent or the portal being updated after acceptance/ rejection!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i didnt even apply this cycle (taking a gap year) but i am so nervous for all of you!! i check this forum unnecessarily. The anticipation is killing me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who can’t stop checking my application status and the accepted thread on here today? 😅 I know we probably won’t hear back until later in April but I can’t help it lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nuttycoffee22 said:

Am I the only one who can’t stop checking my application status and the accepted thread on here today? 😅 I know we probably won’t hear back until later in April but I can’t help it lol

Yes! They sent me an email with a question about my application yesterday afternoon, saying they had just completed reviewing my application. I was certain from that email that we would be hearing back from them today. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nuttycoffee22 said:

Am I the only one who can’t stop checking my application status and the accepted thread on here today? 😅 I know we probably won’t hear back until later in April but I can’t help it lol

Same!! As if somehow the forum changes my chances.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, NeverTooLate said:

Same!! As if somehow the forum changes my chances.

I feel you folks. A part of me is thinking whether they haven't gotten to me yet, if they're just waiting for the right time to send my rejection, or if they fell asleep reading my statement and deleted it.

I'm just kidding,  but I keep reminding myself I'm an applicant out of 1600 with fairly average stats and extracurriculars that I obviously am biased in thinking they're decent, of course I could be totally wrong. I got to calm my ego heh.

It's a wild time seeing a rejection wave today. I feel for those too because you get a sense of relief you made it alive after the March 31st deadline and bam! you get rejected. 🥲 I know how that feels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now that the deposit deadline has passed, do we expect to hear something back this week or maybe see a wave of acceptances or declines soon? Literally checking so often......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeanutLawyer said:

So now that the deposit deadline has passed, do we expect to hear something back this week or maybe see a wave of acceptances or declines soon? Literally checking so often......

I see your stats from another post. I was declined on Thursday with higher L2 and LSAT. It is holistic, but just an FYI. I wouldn’t get your hopes up this cycle unfortunately. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jinx13 said:

I see your stats from another post. I was declined on Thursday with higher L2 and LSAT. It is holistic, but just an FYI. I wouldn’t get your hopes up this cycle unfortunately. 

Hey sorry to hear that, but isn't calgary holistic?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, emphasis on this process being holistic.

I have pretty similar stats with @Jinx13, but they do have a higher L2 than me. I really don't know though, because someone else with around my stats got waitlisted, which leads to support the belief that U of C is a lot more holistic. 

What intrigues me is that it seems like they haven't sent out a regular acceptance for almost a month. I know that several people confirmed that they are not done their acceptances yet. However, does this mean they'll go to the waitlist next or do they still admit people before the waitlist? The thing I want to avoid is that I am hearing nothing and then they send out a wave of acceptances of those on the waitlist. That's what seems to have happened for some folks in previous acceptance threads.

But as I write this, I sound like I'm full of myself as if I'm getting in lol 🥲. No, I'm just eager to hear any news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen some people talking about their high stats and they were so surprised when they were rejected; some have even gone to being assholes on the forum (not this thread) bragging about many years running a business and still not getting in. Acting as if the world owes them.

While I'm sure it often is just bad luck, perhaps it's the arrogance and overconfidence in the application that gets people rejected. The admissions committee can easily sense bullshit and entitlement ("the world owes me law school") on the personal statement. They can also sense when you do extracurriculars purely for the resume boosting (and no passion for it). I expect that a lot of personal statements have this subtle arrogance and insincerity, and that's why people get rejected.

So, don't be intentionally discouraging others just because their stats are lower than yours. And don't brag and act like you were wronged for not getting admitted. Maybe it's purely bad luck and a matter of odds not being on your side. Or perhaps the holistic admissions is working exactly as it should: separating the genuine and disingenuous applicants, regardless of stats.

 

Ps: this is NOT an attack on people with high stats who were rejected. This also is a general message, not to any particular member. Stats are one thing, but a personal statement from the heart is another.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, newspaperrox said:

Hey sorry to hear that, but isn't calgary holistic?

 

My original comment says: “It is holistic, but just an FYI”. 
For a point of interest, Calgary waitlisted me in my third year with a 3.66L2 and 158 LSAT in 2020. None of the particulars of my app or PS changed from a “holistic” standpoint between 2020 and 2021, other than my L2 increased to a 3.94/4.00 and I will actually be finished my undergrad now. And instead of waitlisting me, they rejected me this year. I’m just highlighting this for those with lower stats to be realistic about their chances, not to discourage. This year is ultracompetitive (the rejection letter stated as much) and clearly what worked in previous years is not working for this year’s cycle. 

Edited by Jinx13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, farmerlawyer said:

I've seen some people talking about their high stats and they were so surprised when they were rejected; some have even gone to being assholes on the forum (not this thread) bragging about many years running a business and still not getting in. Acting as if the world owes them.

While I'm sure it often is just bad luck, perhaps it's the arrogance and overconfidence in the application that gets people rejected. The admissions committee can easily sense bullshit and entitlement ("the world owes me law school") on the personal statement. They can also sense when you do extracurriculars purely for the resume boosting (and no passion for it). I expect that a lot of personal statements have this subtle arrogance and insincerity, and that's why people get rejected.

So, don't be intentionally discouraging others just because their stats are lower than yours. And don't brag and act like you were wronged for not getting admitted. Maybe it's purely bad luck and a matter of odds not being on your side. Or perhaps the holistic admissions is working exactly as it should: separating the genuine and disingenuous applicants, regardless of stats.

 

Ps: this is NOT an attack on people with high stats who were rejected. This also is a general message, not to any particular member. Stats are one thing, but a personal statement from the heart is another.

Not an attack on people with high stats. But an attack on people who have a sense of entitlement and arrogance in their personal statement. :)

Got cha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...