Pepperomia

Invitation to interview with Admissions Committee

Really hoping that somebody (or many somebodies) can offer some guidance! I just found out that I have been invited to interview with the Admissions Committee. There is some helpful information in the forum, but nothing in the past 2-3 years that I could find. Has anyone interviewed with admissions recently? Wondering what to expect - particularly in the COVID era - and what questions I may be asked.

I did not expect to get in at Osgoode with my stats, which makes this interview more than a little surprising. I have not heard back from anywhere else so I feel like the pressure is on!

Any and all feedback is appreciated. 🙂

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, tiptoemaster said:

That's awesome news!!

what are your stats like?

My stats will likely give some people hope, fill some with anger, and cause others to have heart palpitations. Haha

2.43 cGPA, 3.95 B2/L2, 166 LSAT. cGPA took a hit from a one year failed attempt at undergrad 20 years ago. Explained within Part B of PS.

• Like 3

How did you find out you had been invited to interview?

I have no experience with interviews of this sort or Osgoode's admissions processes.

Having said that, I suspect they will be interested in hearing about why you want to attend law school, how your lifepath has led you to apply to law school, what sorts of skills/experiences/perspectives you've developed since leaving school, and so forth.

• Like 1

Nothing specific to add regarding your invitation from the committee, however, I read some interesting advice recently that I feel is applicable here.

If Osgoode has taken the time to invite you for an interview, they're already hoping you're a candidate that will be a good fit. Put differently, they've read your application, feel you're a worthwhile candidate, and actively want the interview to go well. In my view, there's no reason to be concerned as long as you answer their questions candidly. I would wish you luck, but I sincerely believe you won't need it!

Edited by CTS
  • Like 4

I have a few friends that were accepted to Osgoode via the interview process. Most were mature or aboriginal candidates. I would say that attitude is really important in this process. Be humble and honest when giving your responses. Talk about the barriers you've overcame and how you grew from these experiences. It's a very human to human interaction and not a standard interview process like if you were applying for a job. It's important to be able to tell your life story in a way that resonates with the interviewers and they come out of the interview thinking - Wow. This person sounds like someone that would be an asset to have in a diverse class of law students and someone I want to learn with and work alongside. Make sure to also demonstrate the academic chops to perform in a class of law students, especially if you have been out of school for many years. If your life story resonates with them and you have shown that you can academically perform in the class, you will likely get an offer. The interview process is really to clear up any doubts they may have. Good luck!

Edited by Deadpool
I think being able to show a passion towards community change, social justice, etc. also helps a lot. I wouldn't go in saying you want to do corporate law.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, msk2012 said:

I have no experience with interviews of this sort or Osgoode's admissions processes.

Having said that, I suspect they will be interested in hearing about why you want to attend law school, how your lifepath has led you to apply to law school, what sorts of skills/experiences/perspectives you've developed since leaving school, and so forth.

This is what I have read, as well. It seems much more like a "get to know you" interview rather than something that is overly intense. 

Thanks for the input!!

2 hours ago, CTS said:

Nothing specific to add regarding your invitation from the committee, however, I read some interesting advice recently that I feel is applicable here.

If Osgoode has taken the time to invite you for an interview, they're already hoping you're a candidate that will be a good fit. Put differently, they've read your application, feel you're a worthwhile candidate, and actively want the interview to go well. In my view, there's no reason to be concerned as long as you answer their questions candidly. I would wish you luck, but I sincerely believe you won't need it!

Based on what I am reading, it seems likely that the committee is leaning towards an acceptance, but are slightly on the fence and want to be sure I am worth an offer! Haha

I appreciate the luck - I hope you are right and that I do not need it! 🙂

55 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I have a few friends that were accepted to Osgoode via the interview process. Most were mature or aboriginal candidates. I would say that attitude is really important in this process. Be humble and honest when giving your responses. Talk about the barriers you've overcame and how you grew from these experiences. It's a very human to human interaction and not a standard interview process like if you were applying for a job. It's important to be able to tell your life story in a way that resonates with the interviewers and they come out of the interview thinking - Wow. This person sounds like someone that would be an asset to have in a diverse class of law students and someone I want to learn with and work alongside. Make sure to also demonstrate the academic chops to perform in a class of law students, especially if you have been out of school for many years. If your life story resonates with them and you have shown that you can academically perform in the class, you will likely get an offer. The interview process is really to clear up any doubts they may have. Good luck!

This is extremely helpful - thank you! Much of what you have said is exactly how I planned to approach the interview. It is nice to know that I am thinking about this in the right way.

I have zero interest in corporate law...so no issues there! I think my passion, honesty, and career goals are really going to help me in this. 

Thank you for the luck! 🙂

On 2/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, Pepperomia said:

Really hoping that somebody (or many somebodies) can offer some guidance! I just found out that I have been invited to interview with the Admissions Committee. There is some helpful information in the forum, but nothing in the past 2-3 years that I could find. Has anyone interviewed with admissions recently? Wondering what to expect - particularly in the COVID era - and what questions I may be asked.

I did not expect to get in at Osgoode with my stats, which makes this interview more than a little surprising. I have not heard back from anywhere else so I feel like the pressure is on!

Any and all feedback is appreciated. 🙂

Hey! Does it show up on OASIS that you got an interview or did they call?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, hopefullawstudent99 said:

Hey! Does it show up on OASIS that you got an interview or did they call?

It shows on OASIS and is followed by an email shortly thereafter. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 6:09 PM, Pepperomia said:

My stats will likely give some people hope, fill some with anger, and cause others to have heart palpitations. Haha

2.43 cGPA, 3.95 B2/L2, 166 LSAT. cGPA took a hit from a one year failed attempt at undergrad 20 years ago. Explained within Part B of PS.

Just out of curiosity, when did you go into the queue and when did they contact you about an interview? I am also a mature student with a strong LSAT score (although your B2/L2 GPA blows mine out of the water). I feel like if I get an offer I'll definitely be an interview person first. 

On 3/2/2021 at 2:56 PM, Pepperomia said:

It shows on OASIS and is followed by an email shortly thereafter. 

How quickly did you get the email? its been three days since I got the update on OASIS and I still haven't gotten any information about scheduling the interview or anything