VitalGiraffe

Thoughts on whether schools like hearing about your political experiences?

2 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Sorry I take back what I said earlier. ^ this is the stupidest shit I’ve seen in awhile.

Coming form you that means a lot, it takes a stupid to know a stupid lol

11 minutes ago, humbledman said:

you had a preconception of somebody that would make that statement and when it doesn't match you're unwilling to drop it and just admit you're wrong. 

Looks like @CleanHands' preconception was, in fact, correct.

Edited by canuckfanatic

I'm starting to question how much sociology @humbledman has actually taken, since they seem adamant on it not being a statistical discipline, despite statistics being a major part of generating and supporting /refuting social theories. I'm also curious why they are framing the argument as sociology versus conservatism. One is a field of study (where people may have political leanings), but the other is only a political philosophy. That's like contesting marine biology with anarcho-monarchism. And equally as silly. 

• Like 1

Just now, canuckfanatic said:

Looks like @CleanHands' preconception was, in fact, correct.

Tell me what is so wrong with what I said? Not it's stupid or name calling. The sociologists in the classroom literally make such arguments, I mean it's actually taken from my class. Do you think that there is no relationship between what people call excitement and their willingness to buy a fight card? Do you think my assertion that there is a relationship between people thinking there will be knockouts and their willingness to pay for fights is incorrect? Do you think that my assertion that laypeople tend to not want to pay for fights where they think they can possibly beat the fighter up is incorrect? Do you think by bringing up this example I am saying that any talk of the gender wage gap is flawed? Tell me here what is so bad, in an actual argument, do you think I am misrepresenting sociologists? Do you feel that my classroom experiences and my hearing people talk about are highly unrepresentative? Please tell me what is so stupid about it, i'm honestly asking because in the real world sociologists do say that it is the result of gender norms, even for things like fight examples. 

Nobody is reading your dumb as shit walls of text because nobody wants to engage in your idiotic straw man. Nobody here gives a shit about this argument you think you’re having about MMA. The stench of Ben Shapiro is all over you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, humbledman said:

Tell me what is so wrong with what I said? Not it's stupid or name calling. The sociologists in the classroom literally make such arguments, I mean it's actually taken from my class. Do you think that there is no relationship between what people call excitement and their willingness to buy a fight card? Do you think my assertion that there is a relationship between people thinking there will be knockouts and their willingness to pay for fights is incorrect? Do you think that my assertion that laypeople tend to not want to pay for fights where they think they can possibly beat the fighter up is incorrect? Do you think by bringing up this example I am saying that any talk of the gender wage gap is flawed? Tell me here what is so bad, in an actual argument, do you think I am misrepresenting sociologists? Do you feel that my classroom experiences and my hearing people talk about are highly unrepresentative? Please tell me what is so stupid about it, i'm honestly asking because in the real world sociologists do say that it is the result of gender norms, even for things like fight examples. 

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

1 minute ago, Liavas said:

I'm starting to question how much sociology @humbledman has actually taken, since they seem adamant on it not being a statistical discipline, despite statistics being a major part of generating and supporting /refuting social theories. I'm also curious why they are framing the argument as sociology versus conservatism. One is a field of study (where people may have political leanings), but the other is only a political philosophy. That's like contesting marine biology with anarcho-monarchism. And equally as silly. 

A part of that was me being snarky with Rashabon, of course I don't think that only conservative people use rigorous statistics I was being a dick. Before I brought it up because let's be honest, any alternative explanation for a subject such as wage differences between races, or pay gaps in a sport get lumped into being conservative, as you can see from clean hands. People will consider conservatives as being stupid if they offer almost any refutal to the typical narrative. I mean I'm acknowledging that sexism definitely plays a role gender wage gap, that expectations of women to be mothers does to, but if I point out you can't apply it to every situation in terms of wage differences i'm an idiot. Maybe I am an idiot, hopefully I learn something and become a better thinker for it here.

7 minutes ago, Liavas said:

I've taken 14 sociology courses, 12 at u of t and 2 at ryerson. I dropped out a while back and decided to go back to school because I was tired of working construction so I went to ryerson to finish my degree. 

4 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

This is what I'm talking about, no one is actually making an argument, it's name calling and non sequiturs 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Nobody is reading your dumb as shit walls of text because nobody wants to engage in your idiotic straw man. Nobody here gives a shit about this argument you think you’re having about MMA. The stench of Ben Shapiro is all over you.

Play nice. I'm all for disagreeing with someone, but if we can't be civil and start name calling, it's not possible to have real discussion.

Edited by VitalGiraffe
  • Like 1