EndofTIme

LPP - any chance of articling in Durham Region?

Hello,

I am currently looking for articling work in the Durham Region with no luck. I am cold emailing and looking at small firms or sole practitioners who deal with real estate, family, wills and possibly commercial. I am pretty flexible but mainly want to end up working at a general practice firm to get experience with the different areas of law. 

I am an international graduate so I am aware that I may have to do the LPP in order to get some Canadian legal experience. 

Does anyone know if there is any opportunity through the LPP to complete the 4 months articling at small firms in the GTA or if you are pretty much guaranteed to have to work in Toronto? 

I may have to do the LPP for lack of articling opportunities but I want to work in small firms in the Durham Region, not in the city. 

Also if anyone has any tips for cold emailing small firms that would be much appreciated. Its getting harder to keep writing cover letters and sending emails with no responses.  

On 2/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, EndofTIme said:

Hello,

I am currently looking for articling work in the Durham Region with no luck. I am cold emailing and looking at small firms or sole practitioners who deal with real estate, family, wills and possibly commercial. I am pretty flexible but mainly want to end up working at a general practice firm to get experience with the different areas of law. 

I am an international graduate so I am aware that I may have to do the LPP in order to get some Canadian legal experience. 

Does anyone know if there is any opportunity through the LPP to complete the 4 months articling at small firms in the GTA or if you are pretty much guaranteed to have to work in Toronto? 

I may have to do the LPP for lack of articling opportunities but I want to work in small firms in the Durham Region, not in the city. 

Also if anyone has any tips for cold emailing small firms that would be much appreciated. Its getting harder to keep writing cover letters and sending emails with no responses.  

I can assure you it will be difficult to find an articling position in the LPP and limiting yourself to Durham Region. A lot of positions are in far-flung parts of the province. You may have to relocate to Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Ottawa, Windsor, or some other location in a rural area. There are placements available in the GTA, but you will be shooting yourself in the foot by being picky. In the end, you may end up with no placement. If you want to restrict your search to Durham Region, you would likely have to find a placement by yourself. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• This is why I stuck to Econ and never took Sociology. Although it is worth pointing out to OP (not sure what party he/she volunteered for, but just in case) that just because Sociology profs are that crazy doesn't necessarily mean law school adcoms will be the same.
    • Hard to answer these kinds of questions given how new Ryerson is. There's just not a lot of data to work with. Anecdotally it does appear that they're weighing GPA more heavily than LSAT for example, but I don't think that there's any granular data breaking down cGPA vs B20.
    • the Ryerson admissions page says they look at the best 20 classes for gpa calculation, how important is the cGPA to them? If your best 20 is good but cGPA is really bad from first year how much can that affect admission? 
    • I get where you are coming from and a decent amount of people are like you and don’t care. I would say if you worked for the Conservative party don’t mention it. It’s not likely to eliminate you from consideration but it is definitely possible. There are enough people who vote liberal or NDP who will negatively associate you with stupidity, white supremacy, supporting patriarchy, you get the drift. Again I’m not at all saying most, I’m just alluding to it’s not worth the risk. I took math in university, economics, philosophy and these courses always seemed to have people on both sides, that were reasonable if there was disagreement. However, there has been one subject where I can honestly say this is not the case and it’s Sociology. Far far left, I’ve taken about 12 sociology courses with different professors and 11 of them were Marxist (they actually said they were) and postmodernist. They said people who believe in human nature are idiots, that things like the legal system that say they are objective do so just to oppress since truth is relative and nothing is objective so the only reason to claim that is to dominate minorities. That if you believe in the free market you are complicit in oppression of people of colour and women, therefore your are racist and misogynistic. I once got in a group for an in class discussion (2 people in a group) and I asked her where are you from, like what’s your background, I didn’t mean it in a bad way, I just wanted to break the ice, build rapport. She said why are you asking? And I told her I was starting conversation and just getting to know her and she said “the only reason you would ask me that is to put me down. There is no reason to bring that up.” I said “what do you mean? I didn’t mean to offend you...” and I went on to say I was getting to know her, we live in Toronto it’s cool to know where people are from, there cultures etc. But she went on to say it doesn’t mean how I meant it, it matters how I made her feel. I said that doesn’t make sense it should be my intent not your feelings. We actually started to get a bit heated, I was genuinely frustrated. She brought it up to the teacher and the prof agreed with her.... her main reason... I was white and she was a person of colour, because of this I was “guilty.” I dropped the class the next day (it was race and ethnicity at u of t). The one brilliant non Marxist prof was jack vuguellers, just amazing. But honestly a lot of the other ones... my god. If it was for the Conservative party it will only hurt you not help you. I’m not sure if law school attracts the post modern type, it seems antithetical to legal reasoning. 
    • Hopefully some good news is coming our way!