PlayALawyerOnTV

Show Me Your Battlestation (aka Law School Supplies)

I also highly recommend a really supportive, comfortable ergonomic chair if you're going to be logging serious hours at your desk or, if you're like me, dining room table.

I got the Ergo Chair 2 and my lower back thanks me every day!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, castlepie said:

Seems like my 2-in-1 laptop/tablet will come in handy and will prove cost and space effective....haha

I'm seriously considering getting a surface pro just for this purpose haha. I LOVE my little tablet but would prefer to have a single device so I don't have to lug around a tablet and a clunky laptop.

4 hours ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

Also, cloud storage for your notes. Hard drives die and laptops get stolen, you don't want to be losing your notes if that happens.

I use a service called backblaze for this, it's constantly backing up my computer to the cloud. Well worth it for $10 a month, pretty much no chance that I'll ever lose any data again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

You could get a drip coffee maker and a pour-over. And a cold brew pitcher. And a stove-top espresso maker. And an aeropress. And if you're making that many different types of coffee, you'll need an electric burr grinder.

Turn your apartment into a law-student-exclusive coffee shop.

Don't forget the French press

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viszlaw said:

Dropbox is also an option, no?

I have 2TB of space on Dropbox + 100gb on Google Drive. I strongly prefer Dropbox over Google Drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

That's what I used, ran out of space at the end of 3L though

2 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I have 2TB of space on Dropbox + 100gb on Google Drive. I strongly prefer Dropbox over Google Drive.

I just find dropbox so easy to use. I have it between three computers and send files/transfers often. I've never had an issue with space on the free account lol I just free up some space and move things on to our server when I'm done with a specific matter/file. My law notes/files never took up much space. It was mostly just Word docs and some PDFs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Viszlaw said:

My law notes/files never took up much space. It was mostly just Word docs and some PDFs. 

I should have mentioned that I have 2TB on Dropbox because I've worked as a photographer and store tons of large files.

200GB on Google Drive costs ~$4/month and is more than enough for all my school files from undergrad and law school combined.

If you're fine with doing some housekeeping and deleting old files, the free 15GB (Google Drive) is plenty for documents.

Dropbox offers only 2GB for free. After that it's $13/month (billed yearly) for 2TB.

What I really like about paying for the 2TB plan on Dropbox is the ability to do full text searches. On top of searching for titles of documents, it'll also search for content within documents.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback all! A lot of this is confirming what I already suspected.

I may have to invest in a nice coffee machine though. Not sure that my Aeropress and hand grinder are going to cut it during law school 😜

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 5:07 PM, JusticeLordDenning said:

Also for the backpack - my school provides backpacks for the entire 1L class, so depending on the school you go to, you might not need to get one as well. They're really high quality and I have been using mine all year. 

Which school gives 1L backpacks?? :( 

1 hour ago, lawstud1111 said:

Which school gives 1L backpacks?? :( 

Western did this year.  Not sure if it's an every year thing though.

I invested in a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron chair about a month into school and I am very happy with it.   A good chair is crucial if you'll be studying at home a lot.  

• Like 1

About a month or two into the lockdown I figured I should get something better than the cheap dining room chair I was sitting on. I got a fairly basic Staples office chair and it's worked out very well. We have Herman Millers in our office and I don't think I could tell the difference, though chair comfort is very personal. It's this one, I think.

https://www.staples.ca/products/990119-en-staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-black

• Like 1