Dreamchaser

Accepting non-Ontario school offer

I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from Calgary but the deadline to respond is March 31st and I have yet to hear back from ON schools (If I even have a chance that is).

If I accept Cal now, would I still be in consideration for ON schools? Esp Windsor because I'm waitlisted there right now. 

I understand I may lose my $500 deposit if I decide to not go to Calgary after accepting but I just want to be 1000% sure it doesn't affect my chances for ON schools.

Unless something has changed recently, only the Ontario schools talk to one another. So you can accept, and later withdraw if you wish (which as you note is forfeiting your deposit).

Note: my info on this is 5 or so years old, so I defer to others. 

Edited by TKNumber3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from Calgary but the deadline to respond is March 31st and I have yet to hear back from ON schools (If I even have a chance that is).

If I accept Cal now, would I still be in consideration for ON schools? Esp Windsor because I'm waitlisted there right now. 

I understand I may lose my $500 deposit if I decide to not go to Calgary after accepting but I just want to be 1000% sure it doesn't affect my chances for ON schools.

Accept Calgary will have no impact. 

• Like 2

I asked tru about this (where I was accepted) and they said there would be no impact. I imagine it would be the same with Calgary. I’m also hoping for an Ontario school!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

Thanks everyone! I'll be responding to Calgary then :) 

wait till closer to deadline. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I was notified 2 days later via OASIS
    • U of M said it will be online for Fall, with an expectation of returning to full in-person for Winter.  They want to take the Fall semester as an opportunity to transition to in-person slowly. Only classes with 20 or less students will be in-person for Fall. So, basically everything is online for Fall 2021.
    • I didn't read the date of the post 🤣 thank you!
    • OK here we go again. Re sample bias: yes. The busy ones won't have time for this forum and the ones with spare time to answer your questions for the nth time have already posted. Just take the bias and know that if others can manage, so (in theory) can you. You just need to remember that you can have control over your life and your career even without planning everything out 20 years in advance. If a judge asks you a question you forgot to prep an answer for, what are you going to do? You deal with it. My point is, improvisation is actually a crucial skill for lawyering and for making time for your family. Once you've figured out how to adapt and improvize at work and prioritize family time, everything will follow and fall into place. Re you wanting a clear answer: tongue in cheek here but maybemaybe you shouldn't be a lawyer. The answer is always "it depends". Giving a clear answer is how you fail law school. Even the Supreme Court of Canada can barely figure out admin law. So yeah. The two only certainties in life are taxes and death. To make things worse for you: even if you have a steady 9-5 job, if you have trial prep, good luck getting off work on time. If your boss walks into your office at 4 and tells you that you have a deal to close in a day, good luck dropping everything at 5. Things happen and you might have weeks where your hours go suddenly from 40/week to 70/week, because of clients. If anything, it takes at least two (2) to tango. You'd better make sure your spouse is actually ok with you disappearing for a couple of days out of the blue every now and then. Just go and write the LSAT first, then worry about the rest. If you can't even make it past the LSAT there's no point in worrying about how working 100 hours a week as a lawyer could ruin your life. Yes I'm a little annoyed because you're an overplanner and life shouldn't be made this complicated, but still, I sincerely wish you good luck and I hope you'll find the right balance and a career path that you love. P.S. some tough love here, but you'll never find that unicorn job just by camping this forum or Reddit and asking questions. Time to spring into action and get something constructive done.