Sign in to follow this  
coolbeans

Difference between OCIs and infirms?

Asides from the obvious (length of interviews and number of interviewers), I'm wondering what the differences are between OCIs and infirms?

Should we expect more behavioural questions? More in-depth reviews of our resumes (I could swear some of my OCI interviewers looked at my application package for max 30 seconds)?

Should we prepare differently?

Insight on different firms and personal anecdotes would be appreciated. 

It's not that different. If there are potential "red flags" with your application package, it will come up - e.g. not finishing a degree,  having a bad 1L grade, long periods of time where you weren't in work or school, failing a year in undergrad. You don't need to worry too much about these things, they usually won't be deal breakers, but it's worth having an answer prepped if one of the above applies.

Try to give more fulsome answers if asked about jobs etc. on your resume since I did find we got into those more. It's worth trying to come up with an anecdote about each job so you have something to say - you obviously don't need to prepare a full answer, just have something in mind that you want to go to. 

I don't remember any behavioural questions. 

A lot of in-firms is just the law firm trying to decide if they want to spend 60 hours a week with you. So it's not really something you need to prepare for, aside from the examples I listed above. 

• Thanks 1

Re: behavioural questions, I have heard from my 2L friends that some big firms are asking more behavioural questions in comparison to conversational questions, supposedly in an effort to make evaluation "more fair", etc. I do agree that you are more likely to get more specific or deeper questions about details on your resume during in-firms. Also the interviewers are more likely to expect to see more of your personality since they would get to talk to you for twice as long or even longer than your OCI, so they would probably want to get to know you better and what sets you apart from other candidates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a few and I would say it depends. Some firms go full "fairness" and ask the same questions to all applications (this is boring to be honest). Other firms take a much more personal approach and just ask questions based on your resume and your interests etc.. and try to sell the firm to you as you organically talk for 1h+ - these one are very fun as you can genuinely connect with the interviewers instead of being bombarded by a series of behavioral questions. 

Edited by throwaway1001
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, throwaway1001 said:

I've had a few and I would say it depends. Some firms go full "fairness" and ask the same questions to all applications (this is boring to be honest). Other firms take a much more personal approach and just ask questions based on your resume and your interests etc.. and try to sell the firm to you as you organically talk for 1h+ - these one are very fun as you can genuinely connect with the interviewers instead of being bombarded by a series of behavioral questions. 

Can you share which firms were behavioural? 

• Like 1