mslawyergirl

UBC vs UVic (Government)

Hi everyone! I know there's been lots of discussion on this forum about UBC vs UVic, but I was hoping for some guidance specifically as someone who hopes to work with the government.

I've been lucky to be accepted to both UBC and UVic. The tuition is comparable, though UVic offered me a very substantial scholarship and I didn't get any admission scholarship from UBC. My main question is which school is the better choice given that I'm leaning towards government work (particularly criminal). Any advice or insights would be much appreciated!

Either one is fine if you want to be Crown Counsel. 

Opportunities are the same. Go with the lower cost of attendance. 

Many Crown begin their careers in criminal defence. If that's the path you have to take, and you have high student debt, you are going to have a bad time. 

UVic. You can't go wrong with either school, but UBC leans toward corporate law and its CSO and extracurricular opportunities mostly reflect that. You'll have to do more of the legwork on your own at UBC. 

12 hours ago, Tagger said:

UBC leans toward corporate law and its CSO [...] reflect that

Can confirm that the UBC CSO's guide provided incorrect, misleading and actively unhelpful information about government interviews that made me waste time on superfluous prep and get thrown off by the actual formats (that bore no resemblance to what said CSO material asserted).

Edited by CleanHands
Strikethrough randomly applied to text. Weird!
  • Like 2

I would suggest UVic because of their co-op program which has government work opportunities!  

• Like 1