WesternLaw543

Call Day Advice - 2L Recruitment

3 hours ago, hahaohoh said:

what types of evening events can we expect?

firms are doing evening events this year? on zoom? seriously?

29 minutes ago, wakawaka said:

Stikes is doing a "networking event" and bennett jones is having 30-min chats. I'm not sure what other firms are doing

46 minutes ago, law202021 said:

Which firms are doing 30 min interviews? I was told to schedule every firm for at least 90 min. 

WeirFoulds for example 

3 minutes ago, stephcurry said:

WeirFoulds for example 

Can I ask where you got this info? Their ITC doesn't specify the interview length. It will just play a big role in how I schedule my week! 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if firms give "hints" between in-firms and call day? Or is it simply a backbox until the morning of call day?

1 minute ago, throwaway1001 said:

Does anyone know if firms give "hints" between in-firms and call day? Or is it simply a backbox until the morning of call day?

It's supposed to be black out in Vancouver, so generally no unless they don't follow VBA guidelines. No idea about the other recruits. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, law202021 said:

Can I ask where you got this info? Their ITC doesn't specify the interview length. It will just play a big role in how I schedule my week! 

My CDO did a survey with all the firms and gave us that info .. a lot of them are still doing an hour and a half some just an hour  **hopefully they haven't changed their minds since they told our school that**

Edited by stephcurry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wakawaka said:

Cassels Brock doing a virtual trivia night lol

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, stephcurry said:

It’s tough since the LSO banned sending meals/meal kits/anything like that that could have approximated a dinner.

Which makes no sense to me. I don’t understand how balling out for an in-person meal is fine but doing the same virtually is not but the LSO is gonna LSO always. 

That said, I get that Cassels is trying something but I don’t think they fully thought that one through. Some candidates will be fine and love it. Others (and perhaps most) will really not enjoy playing trivia in an interview setting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stephcurry said:

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

Others (and perhaps most) will really not enjoy playing trivia in an interview setting.

This sounds so cringeworthy that I wish I could join just to spectate.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 123law30 said:

I managed 5 interviews all on the first day and thats probably the cap, because they all needed to be booked for 2 hours and then there were evening events. It was a lot but 5 is definitely doable. Just keep in mind it does mean you will be interviewing for 10 hours straight with very short (if any) break in between. 

Currently, I have 6 ITCs I plan to accept, and I have been planning on scheduling 5 on day 1, and 1 day 2. However, I also have 2 social events on the evening of day 1 which I am planning to attend (1 formal event, 1 casual conversation/coffee chat session). I am worried that after sitting or 10 hours on Zoom, that I will be a zombie and incapable of socializing with any level of enthusiasm for my two evening socials. Of note, the 2 social events are with my top 2 firms. What are your thoughts? Would it perhaps be better to schedule 4 interviews on day 1, and either put 2 on day 2 or drop an interview, with a goal of leaving myself a bit of a break before the socials? 

24 minutes ago, WesternLaw543 said:

Currently, I have 6 ITCs I plan to accept, and I have been planning on scheduling 5 on day 1, and 1 day 2. However, I also have 2 social events on the evening of day 1 which I am planning to attend (1 formal event, 1 casual conversation/coffee chat session). I am worried that after sitting or 10 hours on Zoom, that I will be a zombie and incapable of socializing with any level of enthusiasm for my two evening socials. Of note, the 2 social events are with my top 2 firms. What are your thoughts? Would it perhaps be better to schedule 4 interviews on day 1, and either put 2 on day 2 or drop an interview, with a goal of leaving myself a bit of a break before the socials? 

I'm in the exact same boat - was also planning to do 5 on day one and 1 on day two. Not sure what I'll do about the two evening events on day one, but I'll try and go to both to the extent that it's possible. Following.

• Like 1

Do most firms schedule in 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm slots on the first day? I've gotten a few ITCs from boutiques with no timing information. I'm trying to make a tentative schedule but I feel like I'm going into call day blind. 😶

Edited by minifrenchie

57 minutes ago, minifrenchie said:

Do most firms schedule in 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm slots on the first day? I've gotten a few ITCs from boutiques with no timing information. I'm trying to make a tentative schedule but I feel like I'm going into call day blind. 😶

Most firms do but some have a break for lunch 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WesternLaw543 said:

I think this is a super personal choice - if you don't think you can keep your energy up for evening events with your top 2 firms, I would personally recommend dropping a firm and doing 4 on day 1 + the 2 social events, and 1 interview on the second day. I did 5 on the Monday last year, then had about a 45 minute break before going to a dinner and I was definitely super tired but I know myself and knew that I would be able to like chug a coffee and get myself energized for the dinner. I think really the absolute most important question is whether you will be able to put your best foot forward, and if you can't then keeping 6 firms is going to end up doing more harm than good! If you do schedule 2 firms on the second day, be prepared you may need to cancel one or both to fit in second interviews with the firms you meet with on the first day. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WesternLaw543 said:

Same exact boat here and I finally decided that unless I can get my 6th interview to be on Day 2, I'm gonna bite the bullet and only accept 5 in-firms, and tackle the 2 social events the night of. 6 interviews + 2 social events in one day is just not, at least for me, feasible.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sad424 said:

Anyone know Gowling's number/the number that would come up?

Someone might be calling you from their cell phone.

• Thanks 1

how bad is it to have your top firm at 12pm? The caller didn't sound happy when I didn't accept 8am ... 

1 hour ago, hahaohoh said:

how bad is it to have your top firm at 12pm? The caller didn't sound happy when I didn't accept 8am ... 

Don't read into it too much. It'll only drive you crazy lol. It prob won't even make any difference