Sign in to follow this  
Terracycle

Access applications

For Ontario schools, how do you know which category you were admitted into? Specifically If you applied access, is there a way to know if you were accepted into this category or moved? 

Pretty sure that most schools won't actively disclose that information. 

Why demystify the admissions process when it can stay a black box instead? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you may be approaching the idea of “access category” in the wrong way. My understanding is that by applying Access/Discretionary/Special Circumstances, you are simply asking that schools take X into consideration when viewing your file. You are saying: my profile may not meet completely up to par, but here’s why that is, and how I can compensate.

Then they look at your application with that in mind, just as they look at everyone else’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rebeccamtl said:

I think you may be approaching the idea of “access category” in the wrong way. My understanding is that by applying Access/Discretionary/Special Circumstances, you are simply asking that schools take X into consideration when viewing your file. You are saying: my profile may not meet completely up to par, but here’s why that is, and how I can compensate.

Then they look at your application with that in mind, just as they look at everyone else’s.

I agree with you on your depiction of the access category. This is how schools (to my understanding) will deal with students who sufficiently meet the category of what is considered an “access claim”.
The schools have also made it known that there are times where students don’t fit into the access category and then are moved into the general category, and are either accepted or rejected based on what is competitive in the general category.

For this reason I’m curious whether or not they disclose whether your file was assessed in light of your access claim, or, whether you were moved to the general category and assessed in that pool.