hopefullawstudent99

Honest thoughts on Western law

Hey everyone, I'm having trouble deciding whether I want to go to Western law, I will admit I did not love my undergrad experience at Western but I'm wondering what the law school was like. Were there a lot of opportunities to meet people (I know its Covid but hopefully we'll be vaccinated by at least middle of next year), how are the profs, how are the curriculars, etc? Honest thoughts and appreciate all of you! 

People will probably be able to offer you more insight if you're able to explain why you didn't enjoy your undergrad experience at Western.

Went to Western for undergrad and am a 2L at Western for law. Because the class size is sub-200, there's so many more opportunities to meet people and make friends (my undergrad was a huge program). 

Feel free to PM me for more details with respect to ECs and profs, I'm pretty sure people know who I am on here but I want to preserve some anonymity, haha.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

People will probably be able to offer you more insight if you're able to explain why you didn't enjoy your undergrad experience at Western.

Ya for sure, I honestly just didn't meet too many people I'd say I connected with just because class sizes were so big so that was one issue for me. 

I did my undergrad at Canada’s 3rd largest university, so I know what it’s like to feel “alone in a crowd.” The small group program at Western Law has been great, especially for an introvert like myself. You immediately get to know about 20 people really well because you have all your 1L classes with the same 20 people. From my understanding, Western Law is the second smallest law school in terms of enrolment (Lakehead is the smallest). Even during COVID, I’ve gotten to know my classmates pretty well. Before the lockdown, my group had a few outings at bars/restaurants that were pretty fun.

My 1L profs have all been great so far. I really can’t complain. Most of my profs are academics by nature, but at least one is a practitioner, which is a real breath of fresh air. A couple of them actually have law degrees from Western, so they’ve been part of the community here for years. From my understanding, pre-COVID, some profs would occasionally go out with students for drinks/dinner, so you’d really get to know them personally. I wish that was the case this year, because some of them have really interesting academic backgrounds from Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

I did my undergrad at Canada’s 3rd largest university, so I know what it’s like to feel “alone in a crowd.” The small group program at Western Law has been great, especially for an introvert like myself. You immediately get to know about 20 people really well because you have all your 1L classes with the same 20 people. From my understanding, Western Law is the second smallest law school in terms of enrolment (Lakehead is the smallest). Even during COVID, I’ve gotten to know my classmates pretty well. Before the lockdown, my group had a few outings at bars/restaurants that were pretty fun.

My 1L profs have all been great so far. I really can’t complain. Most of my profs are academics by nature, but at least one is a practitioner, which is a real breath of fresh air. A couple of them actually have law degrees from Western, so they’ve been part of the community here for years. From my understanding, pre-COVID, some profs would occasionally go out with students for drinks/dinner, so you’d really get to know them personally. I wish that was the case this year, because some of them have really interesting academic backgrounds from Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, etc. 

Is it true that the 1Ls at Western got to be in-person for classes? If so, did you find those classes to be as engaging (or at least close) as a regular year? 

1 hour ago, navyblue11 said:

Is it true that the 1Ls at Western got to be in-person for classes? If so, did you find those classes to be as engaging (or at least close) as a regular year? 

All classes but constitutional were in-person.  I felt they were engaging, as much as anything from undergrad.  Very grateful for the experience they were able to give us 1Ls.     

Generally, I'm enjoying my year considering everything that's going on, getting to meet my small group in person was a big deal.  I wish I could have met more of the students from the rest of the class but it is what it is.  

Edited by brandydafinegurl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Really appreciate this response, thank you