Sign in to follow this  
SIN3D

Does L20 with exception of Winter 2020 still take into consideration the fall half of a full year course?

Hi guys, 

I have a question about how the L20 is calculated with Alberta this cycle. Since Winter 2020 grades are NOT being counted, would a course that I took full year last year (fall + winter) still have half of its grade calculated?

So for instance, my transcript says that one of my courses is: 2.0 (fall & winter) with a certain GPA. Do I add half of that to my L20?

I'm concerned because if I DO take full courses into account, my L20 is 3.67 BUT if I can't count a full course at all & have to start going back into the previous year, my L20 is 3.36. 

ALSO I know that they're only calculating the grades of L15, but just want to clarify if I can take half of a full course into the calculation or if I have to give up the entire grade of a full year course.

I'm not sure if this question makes sense, but I hope it's clear.

(i've retyped my response like 10 times as i tried to figure out the answer to this myself haha) 

if that grade doesn't count at all because it was awarded in winter 2020, then your "l20" GPA would be lower assuming you got a higher grade in that class, but i *think* because your credit was awarded within the proper period and counts toward your L20 it doesn't matter that you would only have 15 courses toward the calculated

11 minutes ago, PlsAcceptMe2021 said:

I had not heard anywhere that Winter 2020 grades were not being counted...?

unfortunately yeah, it's on the website and i confirmed with courtney in september 😕

"For post-secondary students applying to a program at the University of Alberta, grades issued for courses taken in Winter 2020, whether from the U of A or elsewhere, will not be included in the calculation of admission GPAs."

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, PlsAcceptMe2021 said:

How did I not hear about this, it changes my chances significantly (not for the better) RIP

i know, it threw me for a loop too.

if it helps, i was told to put it in the perspective of it likely takes away one of everyone's strongest semesters in terms of GPA (pandemic interruption notwithstanding, obviously some people had unfair decreases in gpa due to the interruption) as those of us applicants still completing undergrad are likely improving our gpa toward the end of our degrees. (if that makes sense)

Oh mannn this is terrible news lol. I was already so borderline with my LSAT, now it just seems impossible. 

Any idea if they are still taking 20 courses even though Winter 2020 is dropped? I know some schools like Calgary for example are only going back 15 courses for students who received pass/fail credits. If students received a grade it is calculated for admissions GPA. 

8 minutes ago, member123456 said:

Oh mannn this is terrible news lol. I was already so borderline with my LSAT, now it just seems impossible. 

Any idea if they are still taking 20 courses even though Winter 2020 is dropped? I know some schools like Calgary for example are only going back 15 courses for students who received pass/fail credits. If students received a grade it is calculated for admissions GPA. 

yes they're still counting back the full 20! whatever you took during winter 2020 just won't count for GPA calculation. 

23 hours ago, PlsAcceptMe2021 said:

How did I not hear about this, it changes my chances significantly (not for the better) RIP

Lol I swear I read that admissions page a million times and still managed to not know about this 😂 big rip for me too

• Like 1

I sent Courtney a message just to confirm. Honestly who even knows how they are calculating since they decided to take the highest LSAT without informing anyone... Maybe hoping for a response stating otherwise is wishful thinking on my part haha but fingers crossed. 

13 hours ago, member123456 said:

I sent Courtney a message just to confirm. Honestly who even knows how they are calculating since they decided to take the highest LSAT without informing anyone... Maybe hoping for a response stating otherwise is wishful thinking on my part haha but fingers crossed. 

Update: I received a response. The Winter 2020 term will still be counted towards the 60 credits however the grades will not be used. This essentially means that 45 credits will be used towards L2 GPA calculation. 

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, member123456 said:

Update: I received a response. The Winter 2020 term will still be counted towards the 60 credits however the grades will not be used. This essentially means that 45 credits will be used towards L2 GPA calculation. 

This is better news, thanks for confirming!