DKilloranPowerScore

Next 9 LSAT Dates, Plus Format Changes

LSAC has just announced the next 9 LSAT dates as well as some future test format changes!

The nine new LSAT dates are:

June 12th, 2021 (last Flex)

August 14th, 2021 (adds Exp + break)

October 9th, 2021

November 13th, 2021

January 15th, 2022

February 12th, 2022

March 12th, 2022

April 30th, 2022

June 11th, 2022

These start dates are the first day of each test administration, and each exam could run anywhere from 2-6 days depending the number of test takers

The June 2021 exam is the last LSAT-Flex, and then starting in August a fourth, unscored section will be added (the return of the Experimental!), along with a 10 minute break between sections 2 and 3. The exam is still online, and taken at home.

Registration for the June 2021 LSAT will open next Monday (2/22) and run through 11:59 pm EST on Thursday, April 29th. This end date is intentional: 4/29 is the score release date for the April test, so anyone waiting on April results before making June plans will have the rest of that day to decide. Registration for subsequent tests—August 2021 and beyond—will begin in mid-May of this year (exact date TBD).

I spoke with LSAC about these changes for a while last night, so if you have any questions, please let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Glad to see LSAC deciding to keep the 3 marked sections format going forward. Having taken the Flex, the shorter test definitely helps with fatigue, and likely results in less score variance depending on the order of LR/LG/RC and their respective difficulties. 

It was a certainty the experimental section was coming back, so no surprise there

How do you guys think the added experimental section will impact the test? Will it serve as a major disadvantage for anyone who didn't get to write the Flex?

The extra testing time and additional brain work is not a positive. But, you there's now a break which for some people will be a big plus. I'd personally prefer the 3-section Flex format but I don't see the extra section as a very big negative!

10 minutes ago, HotDiggity said:

Has there been any talk of eventually going back to in-person?

See the email I received below. There's still uncertainty re: how the plague will progress, so they seem to have opted to nix the in-person writings. (the 2nd LR section seems to be dead too). 

Apparently, this decision came as a result of student feedback, but now that they've gotten used to online, I also suspect their administration costs have come down substantially (versus renting out venues & paying proctors). Plus, they needed to announce dates so that all the big courses/tutors/students can start next year's planning.

Kinda sucks that just recently invested in all those thousands of tablets... how many times were they used, lol..?!

We are making several announcements today that will be of interest to you and the students you support. 

First, given the expressed preference of the substantial majority of test takers, we are announcing that we will continue to provide the LSAT in an online, live remote-proctored format through June 2022.

We are also announcing the June 2021 test date, as well as test dates for the entire next cycle, which will begin in August and run through June 2022, so that candidates may plan in advance for the timing that works best. You can find the schedule here https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-dates-deadlines-score-release-dates.

The LSAT will continue to have three scored sections. Starting in August, we will return to our pre-COVID practice of including an unscored variable section along with the three scored sections so that we can validate new test questions for future use. This validation process is a vital part of our commitment to equity and helps us ensure our questions continue their long standard of being free from any kind of bias. With the addition of a fourth, unscored section, we plan to include a short break between the second and third sections of the new LSAT starting August 2021, similar to the break mid-way through the traditional in-person LSAT that was used before the COVID-19 emergency.

The LSAT will continue to have three scored sections and one unscored variable section for the next several years, and you can learn more about the LSAT for August 2021 and beyond on our website. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noireivoire said:

I don't suppose any of these new writings will be disclosed..? I don't see mention of this anywhere.

They have not stated anywhere that any of the tests will be disclosed.As we talked about in our podcast on this announcement today, at most we may see one test a year released from them, but I seriously doubt we'll see three a year like the "old" days. The reason they are adding the experimental is to have more tests; disclosing a bunch would go against that.

2 hours ago, HotDiggity said:

Has there been any talk of eventually going back to in-person?

I talked to them about this last night, and they hope that, if the pandemic allows, that they could add in-person back as an option for some people in the future. they know not everyone has great internet or a great place to take the test, and so that option appeals to them. But, it will depend on the pandemic and how things proceed there. Safety will be top priority.

Even if they can allow in-person testing again, it looks like the at-home, remote version we're using now will stick around :)

• Like 2

Let's not forget guys and gals, there's also the elimination of Logic Games section on the horizon. I would bet in 2 or 3 years. For those that can and have the ability to, I would suggest testing ASAP; test seems to be only getting harder.

Does bombing the fourth section have a significant effect on your chances of getting into law schools or anything like that? Or is it simply just used as a way to test new questions to see how they are. I was gonna take the LSAT in both October and November so ill likely have to do it. 

3 hours ago, Snigvello said:

Does bombing the fourth section have a significant effect on your chances of getting into law schools or anything like that? Or is it simply just used as a way to test new questions to see how they are. I was gonna take the LSAT in both October and November so ill likely have to do it. 

The extra section is just used to test new questions.  However, you don't know which one is marked - you just see a repeated section.  

• Like 1